• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Past Pleasures of Urban Walking

mspath

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
The New York Times 03/11/2020 published a review by Parul Sehgal of The Walker , a new book by Matthew Beaumont who reasons "the slow death of purposeless walking as symptom of the slow death of democracy, of the human"
His is an erudite and well documented discussion of selected authors across time who found themselves by losing themselves in the delight of the then modern city.

Today such past easy meanderings as Matthew recounts seem, under the nearly universal confinement due to the Covid19 pandemic, to be impossible dreams.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Merci @mspath once again for sharing this article.
On my ever growing reading list.

This especially captured my interest.

"Borrowing from Baudelaire’s description of the flâneur as a “kaleidoscope gifted with consciousness,” Beaumont calls the distracted walker “a smartphone endowed with consciousness.”

Thank you!

Last edited:
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you drawing attention to this review. I love the diagnosis of Beaumont's 'advanced case of quotomania'. I must remember that one!

Most read last week in this forum