• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where do ( did ) you walk ( locally ) in 2023?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Had a nice walk yesterday bud some pads looked like small "rivers"😞
They put up signs like this at some places,
20231201_130328.jpg
Walking path bad accessible , enter at your own risk.
But the irony was that there was no sign at the beginning of this path, so when I saw this sign I was a bit angry. When I told it in the evening at the inn, we had a good laugh about it.
20231201_082430.jpg 20231201_104050.jpg

20231201_122832.jpg 20231201_114619.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When I click on your pictures I get a black space.
On my Pixel what happened was that the phone downloaded the video files (.mov format). I then found them with a file manager app and clicked the filename there and indicated what app to view them with.

Cold rain here today so Peg wanted to walk in (and shop) the mall. I'm going to shame her with Alex's videos.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On my Pixel what happened was that the phone downloaded the video files (.mov format). I then found them with a file manager app and clicked the filename there and indicated what app to view them with.

Cheers but my Chromebook is quite limited.
Don't doubt the pics are gorgeous 🙂
Ps: I can view them!

Sorry for causing this kind of hassle! Maybe videos are not the right thing for this forum. Looks fine on my browsers, but then again that is on a laptop, not on a mobile device (although, technically, my laptop is rather mobile 🤣)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sorry for causing this kind of hassle! Maybe videos are not the right thing for this forum. Looks fine on my browsers, but then again that is on a laptop, not on a mobile device (although, technically, my laptop is rather mobile 🤣)
No problem, and when Rick is on the lookout, there is always a solution! You live on an edge I am half envious of...thank you for sharing a window into your place...

Sorry for causing this kind of hassle! Maybe videos are not the right thing for this forum. Looks fine on my browsers
It also looks fine on my Android phone and Peg's Chromebook. I think the situation is that these devices use operating systems supplied by Google and .mov format files are an Apple thing. So I think Google takes a let's be safe approach and just downloads the files and lets the user choose an app to display the files rather than having the operating system do it. I found a .mp4 format video linked to in a post and my phone showed it immediately.

I have no idea how devices running Linux, Apple and Microsoft operating systems handle these videos though.

No problem, and when Rick is on the lookout, there is always a solution! You live on an edge I am half envious of...thank you for sharing a window into your place...
Thank you, yes I know it is exotic for most of us and hence I throw in some post from time to time. But I will stick mostly to still images again :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It also looks fine on my Android phone and Peg's Chromebook. I think the situation is that these devices use operating systems supplied by Google and .mov format files are an Apple thing. So I think Google takes a let's be safe approach and just downloads the files and lets the user choose an app to display the files rather than having the operating system do it. I found a .mp4 format video linked to in a post and my phone showed it immediately.

I have no idea how devices running Linux, Apple and Microsoft operating systems handle these videos though.
so maybe I should export to mp4 first ...

so maybe I should export to mp4 first ...
Probably that would be best. I think most YouTube videos are in the mp4 format and are easily handled by all PCs and mobiles. Another problem with mov files having to be downloaded, besides having to know how to show them, is that they are left in the file system unless manually deleted. If the brower can handle them they will end up in cache and eventually deleted as more files come in.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you, yes I know it is exotic for most of us and hence I throw in some post from time to time. But I will stick mostly to still images again :)
No, the videos are so evocative! We too are behind the screen! those beautiful dogs are very loyal, else why would they pull you along?😁

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Absolutely not! Just that they are there to respond to your command!
I was just kidding 😉 ... they are actually not my dogs though I know them by their names. I myself do not have enough dogs to form a full team. But I was helping good friends who earn their living with dogsledding to train part of their roundabout 50 dogs yesterday.
They do it because they love to run in a pack. It is the mushers responsibility to give direction, make sure they do not get faster than is good for them and tell them when and where to stop. There is absolutely no need to motivate them to get going ... breaks and anchor are the most important tools with this 😎. Only dogs who really have this urge to run stay in the team. Those few who lose motivation get sorted out ... one of them lives on my couch now for several years already 🤣

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Poor @SabsP. All that mud. There is one walk on a dirt road that we do that is muddy at times and made muddier by horses and bikes. Also there's a grassy spot that gets really soggy. But these spots are all easily avoidable. Well, I'm not writing this to tease Sabs (or am I? 😈) but to mention how we like walking over the mud pits at this time of year. Freezes will raise the mud up and then a thaw will make them softer. That's when it's fun. When we step on them they give way a bit and sometimes crinkle.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Walked the rail trail above Woods Landing in the Snowy Range of Wyoming (over 9,000 ft /2,700 meters elevation). Not deep enough for snow shoes today so wore YakTraks on our shoes. Nice level old rail bed originally used to haul timber that has been converted to hiking, biking, horse trail. No one there on a Monday except Phil and I and a mother moose and her calf. We cut our hike short so as not to disturb the browsers. Lots of other animal tracks in the snow today. May try another trail later this week. Yesterday we took a scouting drive and a saw herd of a couple hundred elk. Later saw some mule deer and of course tons of antelope on the open high plains between our house and the mountains.

As we were leaving the rail trail we met a man with his large dog and told him about the moose and he put the dog back on the leash.

Attachments

• 20231218_135424.mp4
    19.8 MB
  • 20231218_135140.jpg
    20231218_135140.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
A couple of colourful images from this morning's walk around the house ;-) -18°C, but it is supposed to get warmer to around freezing point later today.
Hi there @Arctic_Alex ... when walking through the Baltic states I noticed the colour pink used a lot in portraiture and landscape paintings. Is it like this with Swedish art? Growing up in the southern hemisphere, I wasn't familiar with art suffused in pink. The old prints in art books which my mother collected were often tinged with blue or green -a bit morbid and drab, either that or brightly coloured in strong light....

Cheers...

Art Museum of Estonia:

1024px-Kuno_Veeber._Kartulivõtjad._1918.jpg
Kartulivõtjad ("Potato Harvest"). Oil on canvas, 1918.

746px-Villem_Ormisson._Still_life_with_colored_eggs_TKM_2659M.jpg
Villem Ormisson. Still life with coloured eggs (1914–18)

800px-Nikolai_Triik._Portrait_of_Ella_Lüüs.TKM_0233M.jpg
Nikolai Triik. Portrait of Ella Lüüs (1917)

Last edited:
Hi there @Arctic_Alex ... when walking through the Baltic states I noticed the colour pink used a lot in portraiture and landscape paintings. Is it like this with Swedish art? Growing up in the southern hemisphere, I wasn't familiar with art suffused in pink. The old prints in art books which my mother collected were often tinged with blue or green -a bit morbid and drab, either that or else brightly coloured in stark light....

Cheers...
I am not sure about Sweden as a whole, but up North at least in landscape painting pink seemingly was used more prominently than in say paintings from Germany from the same period.
In winter times often pastel variants of turquoise, rose and pink are a common sight in the sky, especially when it is very cold. So my take would be that people simply were more aware of these colours as they saw them so often and hence they were used more often, not just when it comes to winter landscapes.

I must state, this is pure speculation!

I am not sure about Sweden as a whole, but up North at least in landscape painting pink seemingly was used more prominently than in say paintings from Germany from the same period.
In winter times often pastel variants of turquoise, rose and pink are a common sight in the sky, especially when it is very cold. So my take would be that people simply were more aware of these colours as they saw them so often and hence they were used more often, not just when it comes to winter landscapes.

... that's what I was thinking, too :)

€83,-

... that's what I was thinking, too :)
Just to add for others to see how the northern lights can look like :)

Attachments

• 170.jpg
    170.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 16

€46,-
Another hike in the Snowy Range again above Centennial, WY. About 3.5 km at elevation above 2,500 m (about 8,500 ft). No moose today, but there had been one there recently. Saw only squirrels and grey jay's today. Otherwise a quiet walk. Warm temps had us shedding our hats and unzipping out coats.

You can tell school's out for the break since we're getting multiple hikes in in one week!
20231219_141239.jpg20231219_142139.jpg20231219_141246.jpg

Last edited:
Memories of a Christmas walk to the Alhambra, December 25, 2004

Today at home in France it is a joy to remember that in 2004 after my first camino my husband joined me in Spain and together we spontaneously visited the Alhambra on Christmas.
walking to the Alhambra .jpg

Afrer walking up the Paseo de la Sabica hill to the Passago Bosque de la Alhambra we wandered in. No reservations or tickets seemed necessary! Mid-afternoon our
Almuerzo de Navidad/Christmas lunch was a splendid meal in the then clublike adjacent parador.

The magic of those shared moments and spaces endures although now we both can only walk such a distance in memory.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Last week we had a storm, windy and enough rain to cause some local flooding. Our walks through the woods have been a little more interesting as we try to find the newly downed trees. Well, besides the ones we have to step over. Yesterday's walk showed us another storm victim. Shortly after walking along a causeway where we had to balance on logs to cross water still connecting the bog to the stream on the two sides of the road we came upon a dead fish who got caught in the middle of the road as the water receded.

...a long cold walk down the hill then back up again in anticipation...
20231224_144028.jpg
20231224_150833.jpg
20231224_200803.jpg
Le reiveillon 2023

... followed by another cold walk the following day across a prairie, down to an orchard then back up again in time for Christmas dinner -a meal shared with friends, how wonderful is that!

20231225_121941.jpg
20231225_130933.jpg
20231225_175810.jpg
The aftermath...

Kind regards....

Last edited:
Dublin Mountains today..
My son deposited me with the car up at Glencree this morning and promptly returned home to bed. I took the Wicklow Way alone, 15 kilometres back across the mountains to Kilmashogue Woods. It was wild and wet for much of it and I got soaked through, but it put a good appetite on me.. 😊

Attachments

• 20231225_150719.jpg
    20231225_150719.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 20231225_124208.jpg
    20231225_124208.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Such beautiful walking near Dublin - I’ve walked some of these trails. Maybe a bit cold there now though ?
Yes, some lovely walking trails, and quite accessible from the city! We're lucky, we don't normally get extremes of temperature winter or summer.. I think today was around 8°c, though with the wind and rain soaking it felt a lot colder, typical for December..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Too much rain so plan b. A walk through the Gallo Roman museum of Tongeren.
Antiquity in colour. And of course always on the Camino 😉.

20231231_122124.jpg20231231_110218.jpg20231231_110406.jpg20231231_111914.jpg20231231_112640.jpg20231231_114003.jpg20231231_115630.jpg20231231_114156.jpg20231231_112950.jpg20231231_111155.jpg

Last edited:
And then it stopped raining so a stroll around the block.

Thank you all for the wonderful contributions this year from all around the globe.
It was a joy to view and read them.

20231231_135855.jpg20231231_140519.jpg20231231_140919.jpg20231231_142120(0).jpg

If ok for everyone I will ask the mods tomorrow to close this thread and I will start a new one for 2024!
Aside from resizing some pictures I guess the mods did not have to intervene much! Good 😄!

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
And then it stopped raining so a stroll around the block.

Thank you all for the wonderful contributions this year from all around the globe.
It was a joy to view and read them.

View attachment 161579View attachment 161580View attachment 161581View attachment 161582

If ok for everyone I will ask the mods tomorrow to close this thread and I will start a new one for 2024!
Aside from resizing some pictures I guess the mods did not have to intervene much! Good 😄!
As I called it above, it is the cozy corner where people can relax, drink coffee an dream of distant places 😁

My last walk of the year! Mild -17°C, no wind. Perfect.
Wishing you all a good start for 2024. May your dreams come true or at least may your worst fears remain in the realm of imagination.
Buorre Ođđa Jahki!
Buorre Ådå Jahke!
Gott Nytt År!
❄️

Attachments

• IMG_7131.jpeg
    IMG_7131.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7141.jpeg
    IMG_7141.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7151.jpeg
    IMG_7151.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7155.jpeg
    IMG_7155.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7156.jpeg
    IMG_7156.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7160.jpeg
    IMG_7160.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back