• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pennine Way

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I found the Pennine Way much tougher than either, and the reason is the peat. The Frances and Primitivo both have much bigger climbs, but on the Pennine Way the peat seems to suck your feet down with ever step. Also there are very some long, lonely stretches, and when it's cold it can be bone-chilling. A fair amount of the path cuts through pasture, which can be a bit hair-raising in the calving season or when the bulls are out. But on the plus side it's a lovely slice of England (and a little bit of Scotland), with brilliant pubs and delightful people. And a bone-chilling walk in the mud is a great excuse for a tot of Highland Park at the end of the day

I live in the Pennines a few miles off the national trail, and often use sections of the Pennine Way as training for the camino. It's a lot shorter than the Francés, at 431km, and never goes over 3000'. As Metropolly says, the terrain can be boggy, but it's a lot better than it used to be as they've reinforced many of the worst stretches. The weather is reliably unreliable, but it is a lovely walk, and one day goes along Hadrian's Wall. Spring can be gorgeous up here, and it's never uncomfortably hot, even in high summer.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I did it last year and, unusually, got ten out of the twelve days in glorious sunshine.

On the two wet days though visibility was down to about 20 - 50 metres for much of the time and you need the ability to use a map and compass or GPS.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back