• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

peregrina primera May-June

kimlin

I am so happy and also a bit daunted that my dream of walking the Camino is coming true 4/29-6/12! thanks to the moderators of this site who have made it so easy to find answers to my numerous questions and also for making me feel like I am joining a well established community. I really appreciate the time and spirit you put into connecting us.
A few potential questions:
I am flying into Bilbao and would love advice on how to best get to Roncesvalles from there.
I am traveling solo until 5/25 and am trying to average 12 miles a day only, so I project getting as far as Leon. I look forward to meeting other walkers!
On May 25 I will meet my husband in Madrid, and we will start the Camino close enough to get to Santiago and on to Finisterre by 6/10 -so I think I will have to miss or skip some segments. Any advice on what you would skip if time commitments required it?
Kimlin from Santa Cruz California, USA

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The buses from Bilbao-Pamplona are Compañía “La Burundesa”. Takes 2 hours and costs about 13.25€ About 6 buses per day :
http://www.laburundesa.com/caste/dinami ... rridos.asp
From Pamplona you can take a 6pm bus to Roncesvalles.

If you are meeting your husband in Madrid on the 25th May you could easily walk from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago and then visit Fistera.

ALSA buses from Madrid to Villafranca:

MADR-E.SUR VILLAFRANC 00:30 05:30
BARAJAS T4 VILLAFRANC 09:35 16:05
MADR-A.AME VILLAFRANC 09:55 16:05
MADR-E.SUR VILLAFRANC 10:30 16:05

or the overnight bus:

BARAJAS T4 VILLAFRANC 23:59 05:30

26th) Villafranca del Bierzo - Vega de Valcarce 16.7 km
27) Vega de Valcarce - Hospital de la Condesa 17.5 km
28) Hospital de la Condesa - Triacastela 15.1 km
29) Triacastela - Sarria 24.6 km
30) Sarria - PortomarĂ­n 22.4 km
31) PortomarĂ­n - Ligonde 16.5 km
1st) Ligonde - San Xulian 11.9 km
2nd) San Xulian - ArzĂşa 25.4 km
3rd) ArzĂşa - RĂşa 17.8 km
4th) RĂşa - Santiago de Compostela 20.7 km

5th) Bus to Finisterre
6th) Bus back to Santiago

So hard to tell you what to do, for each part of the walk is so special. After Leon, the mountains start back up and it is so glorious. Maybe instead of meeting up in Madrid he can join you wherever you are at or and then see how far you get? You can always finish it some other time. Many pilgrims do it that way. If it is the compostela you would like to obtain, then you will have to walk at least the last 100km prior to Santiago.
You could always catch a bus to Finisterra from Santiago if you are running out of time. I did that with my first camino.
Lillian

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for the general and also very specific suggestions! It sounds like walking to Finisterre is off the books and we will just take the bus then.-Kimlin

I agree with Lillie. Have your husband take the train or bus to Leon from Madrid & walk together from there. :) Otherwise, you'll be going back & forth & back & forth, wasting your valuable vacation time. :)

Kelly

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.