• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Perry Departs from SJPP

Perry Cross

Time of past OR future Camino
French Way starting on August 15, 2017
Hi,

I'm from Santa Cruz, CA USA. I will be starting on the French Way with my friend Rosanne. We arrive in Paris on the 12th of August and will start from SJPP on the 15th. We have until early October to finish. We won't be setting any speed records, maybe 16-20 Kms / day.

I have been walking 16 Kms / day for a month with my pack, but on flat terrain. Wish us luck!

Perry

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'll be about a week ahead of you Perry, leaving SJPP On Sept 8, but you never know, our paths may cross. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'll be about a week ahead of you Perry, leaving SJPP On Sept 8, but you never know, our paths may cross. Buen Camino!

Do you mean August 8th? Or did I put the wrong date? I leave SJPP this coming Tuesday, August 15th :)

If you are a week ahead there is no way we will catch you. If we walk any slower we would be going backwards :)

Do you mean August 8th? Or did I put the wrong date? I leave SJPP this coming Tuesday, August 15th :)

If you are a week ahead there is no way we will catch you. If we walk any slower we would be going backwards :)
Ok...so I'm a little anxious to leave ;). It is September I walk, and I definitely won't catch you! Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Kanga :)

Kanga,

I seem to have made a mistake on the calendar, as it has my intro on August 1st. Not sure how to edit the dates. Do I delete the calendar entry and start over?

Thanks for any pointers!

Perry

Indeed we wish you luck.
But also safe walking, great adventure, interesting travels, good friends, good wines, the best of food, contemplations sublime.
All summed up in our blessing divine,
Buen Camino!

Regards
Gerard

Thanks Gerard! It should be quite an adventure. I saw July set a new record for peregrinos. I hope there is room for me and my friend :)

On a side note, I heard that they sell good rain gear in Europe. Any recommendations in St John?

Perry

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ok...so I'm a little anxious to leave ;). It is September I walk, and I definitely won't catch you! Buen Camino!

Well at least we will be on it at the same time. My friend Roseanne has wanted to do this for a while; I just heard about it a few months ago. Now my planes leaves on Friday. Wish I had been training longer :)

Buen Camino también :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks Gerard! It should be quite an adventure. I saw July set a new record for peregrinos. I hope there is room for me and my friend :)

I found what I wanted to know about rain gear on the forum.

Cheers!

Perry

Thanks! I guess you are from NY? Don't tell me you walked coast to coast :)

Buen Camino

Grew up and was educated in L.A. I moved back and forth NYC-L.A. over the years. Was residing in NYC when joined forum, that is reason for moniker. In April, I moved back to Los Angeles. A coast-to-coast walk might be intetesting.
Anyway, buen camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
On a side note, I heard that they sell good rain gear in Europe. Any recommendations in St John?
Perry
As far as accommodation goes, Belairi comes highly recommended. I've stayed twice at Auberge du Pelerin, good also. Both close to the Pilgrims Office in St Jean on Rue de la Citadelle. The office will also find accommodation for you if you just roll up on the day, but I prefer an advance reservation for the first night.
There is a list of accommodation available right across the Frances in the Resources Section of the forum.
There is also a good Pilgrim resources shop in the same street. They stock the popular Altus Poncho. More of a large coat really with sleeves, a zip right up the front, and a buttoned space on the back you undo to cover your pack.
Frogg Toggs from the US have the advantage of being very cheap and are becoming popular rainware. I used a set recently on the Camino Portuguese.
Gronze is also worth investigating.
https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances
The search box to the top right of this page is invaluable for getting info on just about any topic.
Regards
Gerard

Hi Perry, we start walking from SJPP on 18 August with the plan of walking +/-25km each day. Hope to see you along the route to wish you "buen Camino".

As far as accommodation goes, Belairi comes highly recommended. I've stayed twice at Auberge du Pelerin, good also. Both close to the Pilgrims Office in St Jean on Rue de la Citadelle. The office will also find accommodation for you if you just roll up on the day, but I prefer an advance reservation for the first night.
There is a list of accommodation available right across the Frances in the Resources Section of the forum.
There is also a good Pilgrim resources shop in the same street. They stock the popular Altus Poncho. More of a large coat really with sleeves, a zip right up the front, and a buttoned space on the back you undo to cover your pack.
Frogg Toggs from the US have the advantage of being very cheap and are becoming popular rainware. I used a set recently on the Camino Portuguese.
The search box to the top right of this page is invaluable for getting info on just about any topic.
Regards
Gerard

Merci Gerard! Good knowledge:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Perry, we start walking from SJPP on 18 August with the plan of walking +/-25km each day. Hope to see you along the route to wish you "buen Camino".

I'm sure you will go zooming by us. Yes, I hope to see you. I've noticed it's been rainy by off/on lately. I'm investigating rain gear, which I always planned to get in Europe. Gerard had a few recommendations.

Buen Camino.

Regards
Gerard
I love my Frogg Toggs. They are lightweight, fold small and don't get sweaty. It kept me bone dry on the Meseta on a very windy, chilly day with pelting rainstorms that lasted for five straight hours in early May this year.

I love my Frogg Toggs. They are lightweight, fold small and don't get sweaty. It kept me bone dry on the Meseta on a very windy, chilly day with pelting rainstorms that lasted for five straight hours in early May this year.

Thanks for the tip; I leave Friday morning so I think I will buy something in St Jean. Altus has a ponch that covers the pack so I think I'll wind up with that one.

I'll probably buy some walking sticks there as well. Any recommendations? Folding, fixed, special features?

Perry

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Kirkie,

Sage advice. I just watched some videos on poles. Who knew there was so much too them? I see that Leki and Black Diamond are popular, with Black Diamond super light and able to fit in a pack. Decisions, decisions :)

Thanks.

Perry

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I bought poles in St. Jean, 30 euros or so, great investment, really helped a lot. Hope you're having a great time.
Yes, having a great time. I too bought my poles in St Jean. We are now in Burgos and taking an extra day to see the sights.

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.