• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Peter from N. Ireland-now in India-walking 15 July-10 August

peterdiamond

Hello,
I am currently in the mountains of Dharamsala in Northern India at the home of HH the Dali Lama. I plan to return home via Spain arriving either Biarritz/Pau/Vitoria, and then to walk to Santiago. I have only a little information about the pilgrimage, and would appreciate any information re: accomodation/food/expenses. Also if anyone wants to travel together, great! I am 24 years old, and work in finance at home, but recently qualified as a Zen Shaitsu massage practioner, so possibly I could be of some help on the journey!

Many warm greetings,
Peter

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Pilgrim Hostel 3-6 euro?

Greetings,
I just followed a link to a list of pilgrim hostels along the way, some for 15 euro, but most for 3-6 euro. I would be grateful if someone could indicate if these rates still apply?

Much appreciated.
Peter.

Hi Peter.

I walked to Santiago from St. Jean last autumn, albergue rates at that time varied between 3 and 8€, mostly they would charge you 5€. Many albergues are free of charge, but it?s usual to donate a few Euros anyway since these institutions don?t receive any other income, and rely on such donations only.

The Camino is a truly spectacular journey, you have something to look forward to.

Pelegrinio Sibertos :arrow:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Albergue Rates

So many new, private albergues have sprung up since the 2004 Holy Year that it is hard to know which are volunteer/municipal and which are private. I would ask what the charges are before you actually 'clock in" . I haven't heard of any charging E15 besides those that offer food as well.
Next year a standard charge of E5 might be introduced along the way.
Have fun planning!

Thanks!

Hi,
Thanks for your replys. Leaving India for Spain will definately have an impact upon my travelling budget, and it is comforting to know it wouldn't be so extreme.

I am really looking forwad to the walk!

Peter.

When are you walking?

Hi Peter,
When will you be starting your Camino? Joe and I will start from SJPP around the first of September. We'd love to meet you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
El Camino in June and about India

Hi Peter,

My name is Chris and I spent January in India: Varanasi, Sarnath and Amaravati. I saw HH at the Kalachakra Initiation with about 400,000 Tibetan and Buddhist practitioners present!! Cool. How do you like India- isn't she wonderful?!

My 20 year old daughther and I will be starting El Camino around June 12th- from St Jean Pied de Port would love to touch base- walk a while and swap stories about India.

Any suggestions as a massage therapist on how to deal with a freshly recovered sprained ankle- this will be my challenge on the walk. Sprained my ankle about 4 weeks ago and am a little concerned about the strain of the walk.

Good luck with everything,
Chris

Hi Deborah and Chris,
Many thanks for both your e-mails. My brother is soon to arrive in India and we will volunteer with an organisation involved in village medicine and herbs for the month of June. So I probably won't start the camino until the beginning of July. I was planning to walk from Sompart, France, I worked out a schedule which should have me arrive in Santiago in 33 days.

I hope you have a wonderful time, and maybe who knows we may meet along the way!

Chris, I really love India. I recently took Goenka's Vipassana meditation course, it was quite an experience and I am motivated to continue the practise. I am really glad I got to experience first hand Buddhist practises also.

A sprained ankle.. lukewarm water baths and plenty of rotational exercise should build it up. I hope it is strong enough for the Camino!

Whereever you may be, may you be happy!
Peter.

Leaving tomorrow for Pau!!

Greetings one and all,

I am leaving beautiful Northern Ireland for Pau tomorrow morning to begin my pilgrimage to Santiago. I look forward to meeting great people along the way and realising some moments of clarity along the way.

If anyone knows anywhere to stay in Pau I would be very grateful.

Good travels.
Peter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Greetings to everyone, my name is Emre, I am actually from Turkey but I am currently doing an internship in Paris. I have had experience with routes such as the Lycian Way before, so I think I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back