• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Photos from my first stage of the Cami Catalan.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Greg, the photos were stunning! I walked as far as as the viewpoint past the hermitage last October, where you could see this valley you're walking through.

How was it finding lodging?

How was staying at the Monastery?

Are you still on this Camino?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Beautiful photos :) I look forward to doing this route next spring, hope the weather is as favourable.
Buen camino
Sue

Thank you for sharing your photos Greg, they are quite inviting. Was in Monserrat in December but do not have such spectacular pictures! Yet another Camino to add to the list :) .

Hi Annie,
No, I am home sadly. I'm going to do this Camino in sections and this was the first step.

Staying at the monastery was great. I called up ahead as I was going to be in late but a key and credencial was left for me at the hotel's reception. There was no official charge.
From there it was a 26km stretch to Igualada where they have a stunning new 12 bedded albergue and a very warm welcome at the seniors home around the corner who keep the key. They seem VERY pleased to see pilgrims. I received handshakes, a 'tourist' gift pack with bed sheets, shampoo and shower gel, local maps, info on the following days accommodation and keys. Felt very VIP. The cost was €15 but showers don't get heated until the end of April but there was a full kitchen.

I could've split this first day in two with a stop at the old school at Castelloli, some 16km from Montserrat.

The day after Igualada was a long, hot, tarmac ridden walk which is very tough on the feet!
You have two options. To stay at the shocking little truckstop at km 22 or continue, as I did through stunning, more 'Camino scenery' to Cervera but this makes a 37km day. The afternoon though fields of poppies and rapeseed made up for the tarmac of the morning.
At Cervera, you stay with the nuns for €10.

It may be that I just could not remember from my past Caminos, but after I had got showered after a day's walking and headed back into town for some food, I could not find anywhere serving food. I mean, this may be how they do it in Catalonia, and more fool me for not doing me research, but I noticed that as you walk into towns, the 'menu del dia' is displayed up until about 6pm, then afterwards, no eats and bars begin to close up.

I had to make do with bread and chorizo the first night and a rather bland microwaved seafood paella the second night followed by (ashamed to say) a kebab from a fast food joint on the third night.
I suggest eating dinner before you finish your days walking.

Ive attached a guide I put together from several sources and google translated if someone finds it helpful. I also have consumer eroski's maps of the three stages if anyone would like them. Ill upload them if needs be.

Overall, a wonderfully quiet, colourful walk. Only 2 other pilgrims seen.

Attachments

• Montserrat-Terraga.docx
    34.6 KB · Views: 68
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Day 1 - To Montserrat we go ...... 4 yrs since the last Camino, older, less brain cells, easily confused usually followed by a touch of frustration and sometimes panic :) . I left Coventry, UK at...
Hiya, currently on the Camino and I’m in need of some advice on how to split up the days from Huesca until I reach the Camino Aragonés by Santa Cilia. I have a rough plan but the next few days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back