• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim discounts at hotels/pensions

Smallest_Sparrow

Life is rarely what you expect or believe it to be
Time of past OR future Camino
2012: most of some, all of a few, a bit of others
When I walked I stayed either at albergues, or booked hotels/pensions at their non-pilgrim rate; I've read posts on other threads where people mention having been given a pilgrim discount on hotel/pension rooms. At the time I walked, I'd heard that was possible but always felt the price was good already, or I was using my rewards points, so I never asked.

I'm now planning a walk on California's mission trail, and am considering writing a couple of hotel chains to suggest they consider offering a discount to pilgrims with stamped credentials (expecting a "no" but it can't hurt to ask). I want to reference the practice of discounts on the Camino de Santiago, but I have no idea how much hotels discount in Spain...does anyone who used their credential recall what percent or amount the hotel reduced the cost of the room?
thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When I walked I stayed either at albergues, or booked hotels/pensions at their non-pilgrim rate; I've read posts on other threads where people mention having been given a pilgrim discount on hotel/pension rooms. At the time I walked, I'd heard that was possible but always felt the price was good already, or I was using my rewards points, so I never asked.

I'm now planning a walk on California's mission trail, and am considering writing a couple of hotel chains to suggest they consider offering a discount to pilgrims with stamped credentials (expecting a "no" but it can't hurt to ask). I want to reference the practice of discounts on the Camino de Santiago, but I have no idea how much hotels discount in Spain...does anyone who used their credential recall what percent or amount the hotel reduced the cost of the room?
thanks
When are you planning on walking, and are you going to do the entire route or just a portion. And lastly do you want a walking partner? :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
When are you planning on walking, and are you going to do the entire route or just a portion. And lastly do you want a walking partner? :)
I'd love to do it straight through, but I think my family (aka cat sitters) would rather I split it up. so no decision on that. I'm always up for a walking partner...I'll send you a PM a bit later, have to run out for a errands:)

I would think some places might be inclined to offer a discount along the lines of those that they give for AARP or AAA. Perhaps something like a 10%-15% discount? I hope you post more info as you continue planning and when you walk. I'm very interested in seeing how this route continues to develop as more people discover it! Buen Camino!

LaPerla in Pamplona offers a pilgrimage rate but although we stayed there, we didn't ask for it and I don't know the percentage. But it's mentioned on their website and the staff is so gracious I'm sure they'd let you know simply for asking.

As to the California Mission trail (love the idea, btw!!!!), almost all US chains offer senior rates, Triple A rates, certain credit card rates, reward member rates, group rates, stay 3 nights in XYZ Chain and get 4th night free, etc., etc., etc. So why not Pilgrim rates?

I'll bet if you couched it in those terms -- "I see you offer.... and I'm working to establish.... " -- they might well be amenable, especially if the pilgrim was required to show a credential.

Discounts are usually in the 10-15 percent range, so not exactly albergue prices. But every little bit helps. Especially to get started. :)

Best of luck!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would think some places might be inclined to offer a discount along the lines of those that they give for AARP or AAA. Perhaps something like a 10%-15% discount? I hope you post more info as you continue planning and when you walk. I'm very interested in seeing how this route continues to develop as more people discover it! Buen Camino!

Ahhhh..... like minds! :)

Or you could join Hostelling International in USA and see what route you can come up with.
For many hostels (and there are many that don't belong to HI), membership is not required.

I'm planning a leisurely (2 weeks) stroll (ha!) on the Camino Inglés for May/June 2017. I'm in Miami, Florida (USA) and found a local chapter for the American Pilgrims.

My walking partner lives in Caracas, Venezuela (where I was raised). While searching for a group for her to hook up with, I came across this:

(It's an annual Camino de Santiago en Caracas Pilgrimage. I've only glanced at the front page
but am fairly sure it's a one-day walk. Sorry for the long intro but this might get some creative juices flowing).

http://www.venezuelatuya.com/tradiciones/camino_de_santiago_en_caracas.htm

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I usually ask for a pilgrim discount if it is a 3-star-- I never wanted to ask at a family-run or smaller place-- but the more upmarket joints usually offer discounts to businesses or to travellers on government business; they were normally in the 10euro range but in several places I was offered free breakfasts. I had the impression that desk staff let their Trotskyite side out when they saw a smelly sweaty pack-schlepping pilgrim waft their way through groups of nicely-dressed businessfolk in the lobby, and a generous discount would often emerge.

I just ask politely if there is a pilgrim rate at the reception (when we stay at places along the less walked caminos) - we got some incredibly low rates from time to time, down to 1/4 of the posted rate. I always thank than politely and try not to hang around in the lobby for too long.

I always thank than politely and try not to hang around in the lobby for too long.
was that because you felt pilgrims looked out of place, or because you were afraid they would change their mind about the 75% discount and ask you to pay more?:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

thanks
If you are walking through San Jose, let me know. you have a place to stay at my house.

If you are walking through San Jose, let me know. you have a place to stay at my house.
thanks, you are too kind...even if not staying there I'll let everyone know my route once planned and folks are always welcome to come out to join me.

was that because you felt pilgrims looked out of place, or because you were afraid they would change their mind about the 75% discount and ask you to pay more?:)

Well, we're generally a bit scruffy after a hard day's walk, and off the Frances, hotel guests tend to be a bit surprised at the sight of backpackers at their nice hotel...

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.