• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Office

jiggy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2012
Camino Frances 2013
Camino Frances 2014
Le Puy 2015 to SJPP
Is there a pilgrim office in Lisbon to get a credential or do I need to get one ahead of time? Any info on the PC would be great. I've done the Francis twice so know that Camino well but i'm clueless about the PC.
Jiggy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Is there a pilgrim office in Lisbon to get a credential or do I need to get one ahead of time? Any info on the PC would be great. I've done the Francis twice so know that Camino well but i'm clueless about the PC.
Jiggy

Jiggy, you can buy the Credential in the Lisbon Cathedral, or if you rather prefer it, you can use the Forum shop to get one.

You can also get the pilgrims passport at the Basilica de nossa senhora dos martires de lisboa...right next to the metro station Baixo Chiado. The sacristy opens @ 17:00hr. Cost: 3 euro
I started from lisboa three weeks ago today. Took the train out ....can not recommend to walk out of lisboa nor porto.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can also get the pilgrims passport at the Basilica de nossa senhora dos martires de lisboa...right next to the metro station Baixo Chiado. The sacristy opens @ 17:00hr. Cost: 3 euro
I started from lisboa three weeks ago today. Took the train out ....can not recommend to walk out of lisboa nor porto.
Walking out of Lisbon is no problem at all. The walk to Moscovide as a nice walk in an urban area. Even the "busy" roundabout at Sacavem is no isue as John Brierley wrote in his guide.
You can consider one track to take the train from Alverca de Ribatejo to Azambuja avoiding walking along a busy road with lots of traffic. Furthermore the Lisbon to Porto walk is great and since some owners of albergues supply pickup services there is no reason to be negative about this route.

If you walk out of Porto via Matosinhos , the detour alongside the coast as the same John Brierley wrote in his guide you have a quiet and beautiful walk. This detour has been mentioned very often on this forum and all who walked it, agree it is great.

For me, the beautiful and delightful walk started AFTER Azambuja....and I stopped at the Quinta Marchanta in Ponte de Muge for two nights which I very much enjoyed and treasured. then walked to Santarem and stayed at marvelous Hostel ....thanks to Mario and what he has created there. Highly to recommend.
The Quinta is not mentioned in the Brierley book.... But it does exist. The owner, Graca, has a website on facebook i believe. It is a lovely midpoint stop-over between Azambuja and Santarem.
Brierly is NOT the "bible" . often I called it the mis-guide-book and actually by now stopped using it (am in Tui right now).
In Porto i took the bus#500 , leaving from praca liberdade, costs 1.80 euro, and drives along the Douro river, offering beautiful views...( we preferred that to the metro ride). Bus ends at Mercado... And From there, matasinhos , we walked...mostly delightful..often on wooden boards...which my feet loved.
After Vila Cha, some local pranksters perhaps, painted yellow arrows to misguide. We walked in circles...also...the kilometers provided in the book very often don't match the kilometers one actually has to walk to get from A to B.
It is an approximation...not just my experience but of very many people i have spoken to. Either at the albergues or during the day, walking...
I would either way recommend not to walk out of Lisboa nor Porto but get some transport to avoid the worst bits.
( in porto a young czech woman told me in dismay and somewhat in tears about her ordeal leaving porto weeks earlier, and how she was frightened by the very fast and massive traffic. " how can they recommend this to pilgrims???"
She had no guidebook and just followed the arrows, not knowing what to expect.

Get info, make informed decisions, and get going on YOUR caminho.
You know yourself best/better....
I knew i do not appreciate fast and lots of traffic while walking on noisy streets...so i decided to skip that part, regardless of how many guidebooks deem it as ok or part of the caminho.
I have been in portugal and lisbon several times and seen the industrial bits before...was not keen on exploring those on foot myself.

Have a most wonderful time.... Hope you will still get to see all those amazing wildflowers when you start your caminho...
Bom caminho....

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back