• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Menus/Menu Del Dia in Portugal?

Staffman

Mature Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Apr-May 2019
As I have only walked Caminos in Spain up to now and found the Pilgrim Menus and Menus Del Dia wonderful opportunities to eat a robust meal with a drink for a very reasonable amount. But what about Portugal? Do the restaurants and bars offer a Menu Del Dia just like Spain or is there another budget alternative that exists? And Pilgrim Menus...are they on offer anywhere? Any help with this information would be gratefully accepted as I like to know roughly how much to budget for on a daily basis. I'm due to fly out to Lisbon on 9th April 2024 and arrive in Santiago De Compostela around 14th May.
Many thanks in advance.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As I have only walked Caminos in Spain up to now and found the Pilgrim Menus and Menus Del Dia wonderful opportunities to eat a robust meal with a drink for a very reasonable amount. But what about Portugal? Do the restaurants and bars offer a Menu Del Dia just like Spain or is there another budget alternative that exists? And Pilgrim Menus...are they on offer anywhere? Any help with this information would be gratefully accepted as I like to know roughly how much to budget for on a daily basis. I'm due to fly out to Lisbon on 9th April 2024 and arrive in Santiago De Compostela around 14th May.
Many thanks in advance.

A menú do día is fairly commonplace. A pilgrim menu is rare.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I hiked Camino Portuguese from Porto to Santiago from late Sept, 2023 to mid-October, with the first several days along the coastal route, then crossed over to the Central Route at Ponte de Lima. Having hiked Camino Frances with my wife four times, we too also are big fans of the pilgrim's meal. I don't recall seeing this on menus in Portugal. I crossed into Spain at Tui and did see pilgrim's meal and menu del dia on several menus, but a more spartan offering. Rather than include two plates, bread, desert and a bottle of wine, almost all offered a single plate, desert, no bread and one glass of wine. Still good food but not the bargain from past caminos. Bob

Most restaurants and cafes will have a daily special, main course with potatoes or vegetable and a salad but expect to pay extra for your drinks, bread and desert.

I can only comment on the route from Porto, but in my experience, the food is excellent. Seafood is the staple there and the gift of Portuguese cuisine is it teaches you even the humble sardine can be made amazing. One more observation: much of the route north of Porto is rural culture, so meals there are simple, nutritious and generous. Bonus: they love their sweets, so be sure to visit a village bakery. Enjoy!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you are starting from Lisbon,I would recommend the restaurant A Lanterna. It is in Verdelha de Baixo. This area is often listed as Alvercado Ribatejo. There are some workers hotels nearby. It is a short walk from the Auchan grocery store which has a wonderful fresh orange juice machine if you need a pickup at the end of the day. The dinner was wonderful and there were many choices, like on a Spanish pilgrim menu. The cost was 11E in May 2023. The place was filled with transient workers and has a lively atmosphere. In the morning if you leave between 7 and 7:30 or so, you can see them walking to work.
The meal included a main course, salad, rice or potatoes, desert, and a glass of beer or half liter of wine.

PMFJI

Not as common as in Spain, but you'll find some.
I ate most of the time in small local restaurants and ordered the menu diario.
Cheapest was 10€ incl. wine, the most epensive was 14€ excl. wine.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Except Ponte de Lima. I try to not stop there anymore: too many tourist traps.
I have to strongly disagree. It is a lovely place and the area along the bank of the river is special. To avoid the tourist trap, go to the grocery store and make a bocadillo for lunch and then cook in the albergue in the evening. you can enjoy a nice lunch by the river and meet other pilgrims for dinner in the albergue.

I don’t disagree that it’s a pretty view by the river. But I’d no luck finding that grocery store, except one that was a few km off the line. Everyone’s camino is different of course.

Many thanks in advance.
I just saw you are a near neighbour!
Above I referenced something more recent than my own CP, as that is history in terms of cost. However, the quality, for hungry pilgrims, should still be something the Portuguese can be proud of. Most of the crowd who kept the same stages ate in the same restaurants, and it was well worth it, and not outside normal budget, as in lower level normal. Adjust the cost if that is what you like to do, but we got fantastic meals for an average of €7 at the end of a day's walking. I know that could be €10 today, but still, it will more than supply your need for sustenance.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just saw you are a near neighbour!
Above I referenced something more recent than my own CP, as that is history in terms of cost. However, the quality, for hungry pilgrims, should still be something the Portuguese can be proud of. Most of the crowd who kept the same stages ate in the same restaurants, and it was well worth it, and not outside normal budget, as in lower level normal. Adjust the cost if that is what you like to do, but we got fantastic meals for an average of €7 at the end of a day's walking. I know that could be €10 today, but still, it will more than supply your need for sustenance.
Your name 'Kirkie' did give me pause for thought! I may change my name to 'Lennie'!!

Many thanks in advance.
When I compare the three caminos we completed in the last three years, France is expensive, Spain much cheaper and Portugal the cheapest. But...you get what you pay for. I recall joining a French couple in Portugal for dinner one evening. They snarled at Portuguese cuisine other than the fish along the coast. Can't say I disagree with them. But...no pilgrim meals in Portugal, but we found combinados (same word in Spanish and Portuguese) plates very reasonable. Supermarkets, even small ones, are not as plentiful as in Spain, but we never had too much trouble putting together a much needed lunch or dinner from various markets.

Portugal is different. Come with the mindset. Do NOT compare to Spain...or France...or Italy, for that matter. Get into the flow Portuguese style, expect things to be different and find ways to adjust to their habits.

I don’t disagree that it’s a pretty view by the river. But I’d no luck finding that grocery store, except one that was a few km off the line. Everyone’s camino is different of course.
Honestly I do not think you looked too hard for a grocery store as there are lots of them. I remember that there was a big one about a 10 minute walk from the albergue. I remember because a Polish couple and a Mexican woman went with me to shop and we cooked dinner together. I ate my lunch alone by the river and loved it. Google and ye shall find haha

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We walked the Portuguese camino in 2016 and found the food and coffee to be excellent and also less expensive than in Spain. For example coffee was about 25 cents a cup less. (If you like coffee, keep your eye out for the Delta brand.) I don't remember specifically about menus del dia, but I'm fairly sure we had them because I'm pretty sure we would remember if they did NOT have them.

Many thanks in advance.
Yes, Pilgrim menus are available in restaurants throughout the Portuguese Camino from Porto, same low prices. As on the French Camino, the menus are posted at the entrance to the restaurants, you just have to look for them.

Many thanks in advance.
I ate lunch every day on Camino Portuguese this October and spent anywhere between €15 and €35 (special meal). Count on €15 to €20.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Many thanks in advance.
This past October while walking from Lisbon I spent €15 to €20 daily for lunch.

Attachments

• 71881554116__6D5A8599-0705-4D58-96BD-DFA7B4DD2141.jpeg
    71881554116__6D5A8599-0705-4D58-96BD-DFA7B4DD2141.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9307.jpeg
    IMG_9307.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
NYSE, that sounds about right after living in Estoril for the past year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We walked the Portuguese camino this fall from Porto to Santiago. We had several menu del dias. The cheapest was €7,50: three courses with bread and a drink. Sometimes you just have to ask for it. It is not always on the menu. They will tell you what they have that day. Just go one or two streets away from the centre. I noticed that the cooks in these restaurants were almost always over 80 years old and super friendly. IMG_4229.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4228.jpeg
    IMG_4228.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4203.jpeg
    IMG_4203.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4204.jpeg
    IMG_4204.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
I didn't find the evening pilgrim menus that you get in Spain on the Portugues Central earlier this year. But as others have pointed out all-in menus in the middle of the day are plentiful, delicious and good value. If you prefer to eat your main meal in the evening restaurants in Portugal were generally able to provide something from 7 or 7.30.

I didn't find the evening pilgrim menus that you get in Spain on the Portugues Central earlier this year. But as others have pointed out all-in menus in the middle of the day are plentiful, delicious and good value. If you prefer to eat your main meal in the evening restaurants in Portugal were generally able to provide something from 7 or 7.30.
Sunday lunch in many small (and possibly large) cafes and restaurants really seems to be a ‘thing’ and can be spectacular home cooking. I recall seeing a good number of single older people meeting up obviously on a regular basis.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I asked exactly the same question before my September/October Camino Portugues. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/pilgrims-meal-on-cp.83234/#post-1184874

I had a 3 course menu do dia lunch for 10 Euros in Vila do Conde (forget the name of the restaurant, 1st one I came to south of the river, just next to the little St Sebastian chapel where I got a sello). Food was OK (caldo verde, small pork chops & chips, some sort of apple cake or tart & ice cream IIRC) rather than great. Other places in Vila do Conde in the little main square north of the river near an albergue advertised pilgrim menus.

I had a 3 course pilgrim menu (I forget if if it was 10 or 12 Euros) in a large cafe/restaurant in Sao Pedro de Rates. The cafe had a TV screen showing football.

The restaurant in Rubiaies which organised a shuttle minivan to and from the various local hostals and albergues offered pilgrim menus, including a generous carafe of wine. I had soup, fish (I think this was a bacalhao not merluza night) & I forget what dessert.

Pilgrim menus/menus de dia were more obvious in Spain. I had a good 10 Euro one in Tui at Taperia O Albergue (Padron peppers, chorizo, egg & chips and Santiago Tart).

The O Encontro restaurant in Caldas de Reyes which hands out leaflets to pilgrims heading to the town on the Camino (mentioned in a previous thread) also did a pilgrim menu - Caldo Gallego, the ubiquitous in Spain merluza (hake) and Santiago Tart.

I asked exactly the same question before my September/October Camino Portugues. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/pilgrims-meal-on-cp.83234/#post-1184874

I had a 3 course menu do dia lunch for 10 Euros in Vila do Conde (forget the name of the restaurant, 1st one I came to south of the river, just next to the little St Sebastian chapel where I got a sello). Food was OK (caldo verde, small pork chops & chips, some sort of apple cake or tart & ice cream IIRC) rather than great. Other places in Vila do Conde in the little main square north of the river near an albergue advertised pilgrim menus.

I had a 3 course pilgrim menu (I forget if if it was 10 or 12 Euros) in a large cafe/restaurant in Sao Pedro de Rates. The cafe had a TV screen showing football.

The restaurant in Rubiaies which organised a shuttle minivan to and from the various local hostals and albergues offered pilgrim menus, including a generous carafe of wine. I had soup, fish (I think this was a bacalhao not merluza night) & I forget what dessert.

Pilgrim menus/menus de dia were more obvious in Spain. I had a good 10 Euro one in Tui at Taperia O Albergue (Padron peppers, chorizo, egg & chips and Santiago Tart).

The O Encontro restaurant in Caldas de Reyes which hands out leaflets to pilgrims heading to the town on the Camino (mentioned in a previous thread) also did a pilgrim menu - Caldo Gallego, the ubiquitous in Spain merluza (hake) and Santiago Tart.
Your post is informative and ought to help the OP. Your costs were more or less as I imagined they might be this year. I remember the food as being home cooked, wholesome and as another forum member describes sometimes, copious amounts! It is ten years since I walked the CP but I have not forgotten the open and generous attitude of the owners and those who served us.

I have to strongly disagree. It is a lovely place and the area along the bank of the river is special. To avoid the tourist trap, go to the grocery store and make a bocadillo for lunch and then cook in the albergue in the evening. you can enjoy a nice lunch by the river and meet other pilgrims for dinner in the albergue.
Yes indeed. I stopped for a coffee on the way to the supermarket and left the cafe with a huge portion of takeout soup, baguette, wonderful pastry for dessert and also the coffee for the huge sum of euro 4.40. The whole day including the albergue cost 9.40. No issues with Ponte de lima. Eitherway the albergue has a great kitchen and supermarket 5 mins away

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Many thanks in advance.
I have walked from Coimbra and also from Porto. The average was 40 euro per day because some towns before Porto the accommodation was more expensive. All Portuguese restaurants have a menu during the day which is generally inexpensive and generally cheaper than Spain. Obviously beware of high end restaurants and you should be fine. Very few actual pilgrim menus. Coffee and pastries are so cheap in Portugal so enjoy

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back