• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim Passport for Camino de Madrid

rnwinters

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Camino Portugese
Can pilgrim passports for the Camino de Madrid be obtained ahead of time?
What’s the process?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You do not need a specific credencial for the Camino de Madrid. One from American Pilgrims on the Camino or ordered by post from Ivar's online store would be ok. If you would prefer to pick up one in person then the Iglesia de Santiago in Madrid issues their own version. Details of opening times on their website.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here is the version you can obtain at the Iglesia de Santiago y San Juan Bautista. They will fill in the first page and stamp it. Be sure to take your passport; I didn’t and had to promise would fill in my passport number as soon as I returned to my hotel.😊
The hours posted on their website is also for other business such as christenings or weddings so sometimes you have to wait a little bit. The office for this on the inside of the church on left side, towards the front.
If you let the priests know you’re a pilgrim they’ll move you to the front of the line as the other business can take a while. (Or they just like pilgrims).
The passport is free but they will ask for a donation.
Buen Camino!

Can pilgrim passports for the Camino de Madrid be obtained ahead of time?
What’s the process?
Not this particular credential because they insist on filling out your name and other details after sighting both you and your ID, then stamping it.

They will also ask if you intend to start walking from Madrid. If you tell them that you are using transport (other than a bike or a horse) to get out of Madrid then they will decline to to give you a credential.

Not this particular credential because they insist on filling out your name and other details after sighting both you and your ID, then stamping it.

They will also ask if you intend to start walking from Madrid. If you tell them that you are using transport (other than a bike or a horse) to get out of Madrid then they will decline to to give you a credential.
I bought mine from Ivar and took it to the church. They stamped it without question.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You do not need a specific credencial for the Camino de Madrid. One from American Pilgrims on the Camino or ordered by post from Ivar's online store would be ok. If you would prefer to pick up one in person then the Iglesia de Santiago in Madrid issues their own version. Details of opening times on their website.
Thanks for this information. I will probably be walking the Madrid Route next year and this is a good reminder as I would like to get their credential.

@lt56ny We enjoyed visiting the church to get our credenciales in 2018. And received a warm welcome, a prelude for what was to come. We didn’t meet many pilgrims on the Madrid Way but the local people and hospitaleros were wonderful. I think it’s my favourite credenciale. Though the Salvador is also very nice.

IMG_3286.jpegIMG_3285.jpegIMG_3287.jpegIMG_3284.jpeg

“If you tell them that you are using transport (other than a bike or a horse) to get out of Madrid then they will decline to give you a credential.”

I told them I would start from Tres Cantos, and they wrote that in as my departure point, no problem. (I took the train there due to time constraints.) But this might depend on who at the church is asking.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

That's interesting. I'm pretty sure when I was at the church to get my credencial stamped (and myself blessed) there were several other pilgrims picking up credencials that they were going to use on other routes. Maybe because of the number of pilgrims they weren't asked, or maybe they weren't entirely honest in their answers.

I'm pretty sure when I was at the church to get my credencial stamped (and myself blessed) there were several other pilgrims picking up credencials that they were going to use on other routes.
On my only visit to the church I picked up a credencial for use on a walk on the Sanabres beginning at A Gudiña. No one seemed to have any objection or to find that strange.

That's interesting. I'm pretty sure when I was at the church to get my credencial stamped (and myself blessed) there were several other pilgrims picking up credencials that they were going to use on other routes. Maybe because of the number of pilgrims they weren't asked, or maybe they weren't entirely honest in their answers.
It is possible that the person on duty that day/time may make a difference.

All I can really recount is my own experience and in my case the person was very pedantic and officious and questioned me closely about where I was starting from and how I was travelling before they were prepared to issue me with the credential.

It is also worth mentioning that there is a step inside the church on the way to get the credential that is not obvious. There are signs about it and despite this I managed to trip on it and almost fell before I had even started. I get the feeling that others have also had difficulties with this step.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.