• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
I have always loved the statue of the pilgrim near the Burgos Cathedral. In fact, the bronze statues throughout the city depict normal people: a beggar, policeman, a guy reading a book, a young woman in a wheelchair. The statues elevate every day citizens. Perhaps that’s why I love them.

The statue of the pilgrim near the cathedral, however, is more abstract. The pilgrim has the proper accoutrements—the walking staff, gourd on the end of the staff, and the scallop shell around his neck, which shows that he is walking the pilgrimage of the Camino de Santiago. That scallop shell Is all that he wears.

He is naked, but that physical body is falling apart. There is actually a hole in his knee. Barnacles of bronze seem to coat his body in imperfection. His head is down and his arms across the bench show him to be in a state of exhausted repose. Has he walked here from Italy? Holland? France? Any of these places.

This statue speaks to me.

After walking past the cathedral— and that statue that I love — to go to the pharmacy, I took a major fall! After all that walking, those hills and rocks and trees, I fell on a cobblestone! I could barely eke out a groan before I had five or six kind Spanish folks helping me up, and I am now elevating my sprained ankle,

I will be here for another evening and then I will catch a bus to Madrid and head back home. I still love Spain, and next time – – I have a slightly differentt plan!

Attachments

• 845AB34D-214A-4417-A1A6-30BAD1959332.jpeg
    845AB34D-214A-4417-A1A6-30BAD1959332.jpeg
    611.4 KB · Views: 2,665
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have always loved the statue of the pilgrim near the Burgos Cathedral. In fact, the bronze statues throughout the city depict normal people: a beggar, policeman, a guy reading a book, a young woman in a wheelchair. The statues elevate every day citizens. Perhaps that’s why I love them.

The statue of the pilgrim near the cathedral, however, is more abstract. The pilgrim has the proper accoutrements—the walking staff, gourd on the end of the staff, and the scallop shell around his neck, which shows that he is walking the pilgrimage of the Camino de Santiago. That scallop shell Is all that he wears.

He is naked, but that physical body is falling apart. There is actually a hole in his knee. Barnacles of bronze seem to coat his body in imperfection. His head is down and his arms across the bench show him to be in a state of exhausted repose. Has he walked here from Italy? Holland? France? Any of these places.

After walking past the cathedral— and that statue that I love — to go to the pharmacy, I took a major fall! After all that walking, those hills and rocks and trees, I fell on a cobblestone! I could barely eke out a groan before I had five or six kind Spanish folks helping me up, and I am now elevating my sprained ankle,

I will be here for another evening and then I will catch a bus to Madrid and head back home. I still love Spain, and next time – – I have a slightly differentt plan!

Jeeez, Deb, this has been an 'exciting' Camino for you healthwise. Talk about challenges for you!
I hope your sprained ankle heals as quickly as possible.

Enjoy Burgos...but fergodssake, get out of there with all your limbs attached and healthy! Oh wait....this is only number two, isn't it.... Dang, you may have one more 'incident'. Make it something like tripping over Antonio Bandaras, OK? (Take pictures then! Hehehe!)

Safe home, Deb!

So, so sorry about the fall! I hope you are ok and will be able to continue on not too far into the future.

Thanks for the info on the statue. I've been to Burgos (and visited the cathedral) twice, but have not noticed it :(. I'll be back next April, to start where I left off, and will definitely look for it.

And keep an eye on the cobblestones, too. ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I remember that statue well, but it left me a little confused and wondering what the artist was saying. Interesting how we are all so different. I really liked hearing how it "spoke" to you in such a personal way.

I am so sorry to read about your fall, and just when I was assuming everything was going well for you after your illness. Were you originally planning to go all the way to Santiago? If so, that would be a real dissapointment for you to be heading back to Madrid. :( Just goes to show how none of us are immune to the potential for illness or injury.

Glad to hear I am not the only Camino cluts, but sad to hear of your latest Camino misadventure. Before you head home, go and dong the bronze for me. Scott would always dong bronzes to test how thick the castings were, got him into big trouble when he did it to a group of Degas statues. But as a boilermaker he appreciated good metalwork and would say "sculpture is tactile not just visual and needs to be touched."

Oh and while in Madrid, go and see Goya's El Perro at the Prada, that lovely lonely dog glancing back always reminds me of our mutts at home waiting for us to come back from the Camino. Safe travels.

I remember that statue well, but it left me a little confused and wondering what the artist was saying. Interesting how we are all so different. I really liked hearing how it "spoke" to you in such a personal way.

I am so sorry to read about your fall, and just when I was assuming everything was going well for you after your illness. Were you originally planning to go all the way to Santiago? If so, that would be a real dissapointment for you to be heading back to Madrid. :( Just goes to show how none of us are immune to the potential for illness or injury.

Oh, I was only intending to be here for a short walk! I was traveling through France and visiting a family member I was traveling through France and visiting a family member in Tournus, and had originally planned walking a bit of Le Puy, But eventually decided to do some walking from Pamplona to Leon as close as I could get!

I had some wonderful walking Days and had some great times with good people, but I was on a short timeline and had the virus most of the time— or resultant breathing and energy issues. If you don’t have your healtb on Camino, It doesn’t go so well. That’s not a complaint. That’s a fact.

Traveling is always fun. I met some great friends, including an Australian couple who were just driving around Spain in a borrowed! car.Hilarious people!

I also have a wonderful new friend from Denmark, although she caught the flu and has had a very rough week. She’s in Barcelona now. to head back to Denmark

I also met the kindest guys from Israel. I really hope I see them tomorrow.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Glad to hear I am not the only Camino cluts, but sad to hear of your latest Camino misadventure. Before you head home, go and dong the bronze for me. Scott would always dong bronzes to test how thick the castings were, got him into big trouble when he did it to a group of Degas statues. But as a boilermaker he appreciated good metalwork and would say "sculpture is tactile not just visual and needs to be touched."

Oh and while in Madrid, go and see Goya's El Perro at the Prada, that lovely lonely dog glancing back always reminds me of our mutts at home waiting for us to come back from the Camino. Safe travels.

Total klutz!!

Oh, I was only intending to be here for a short walk! I was traveling through France and visiting a family member I was traveling through France and visiting a family member in Tournus, and had originally planned walking a bit of Le Puy, But eventually decided to do some walking from Pamplona to Leon as close as I could get!

I had some wonderful walking Days and had some great times with good people, but I was on a short timeline and had the virus most of the time— or resultant breathing and energy issues. If you don’t have your healtb on Camino, It doesn’t go so well. That’s not a complaint. That’s a fact.

Traveling is always fun. I met some great friends, including an Australian couple who were just driving around Spain in a borrowed! car.Hilarious people!

I also have a wonderful new friend from Denmark, although she caught the flu and has had a very rough week. She’s in Barcelona now. to head back to Denmark

I also met the kindest guys from Israel. I really hope I see them tomorrow.
Sounds like you had a great time meeting interesting people from "hither and yon". You are a lady with a very positive outlook and know how to make lemonade out of lemons!:)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I agree! if you are drawn to the sculpture go into the basement of the Prada, where there is art from pilgrims centuries old.

I agree! if you are drawn to the sculpture go into the basement of the Prada, where there is art from pilgrims centuries old.

I love it there, and have been there. Remember people, I am hobbling around on a sprained ankle!

I hate falling. Apart from the initial embarrassing incident one then seems to ache all over... and when that fades the actual injury emerges and you have to deal with the damage.

I cringed as I read your post... I feel your pain. I'm glad you enjoyed at least part of your walk!

Take care and safe travels

I hate falling. Apart from the initial embarrassing incident one then seems to ache all over... and when that fades the actual injury emerges and you have to deal with the damage.

I cringed as I read your post... I feel your pain. I'm glad you enjoyed at least part of your walk!

Take care and safe travels[/

Take care and safe travels

Fortunately, it was early in the morning so I didn’t have that many people around. In fact, when I fell the initial pain was so intense that I didn’t have time for embarrassment.

I did quickly become aware that a car had suddenly turned the corner and was preparing to park very near me or on me! However, the people who helped me were so quick, so gracious, that rather than feeling intense embarrassment, I was only surprised and incredibly grateful and wanted to respond to them.

Swelling is down considerably this morning and although I am black and blue on the left side, there really isn’t any pain except for stiffness in the left ankle. I’m glad to be fit.

Good sign that the swelling is down. Take care.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Oh, dear - such intense punctuation for this camino, Deb! I'm sorry that happened.
The saving grace being that the sprain happened at the end of your walk, not at the beginning. And you won't catch the flu on the way home.:D
Take it easy, and make sure you take good care of that ankle so that you can keep walking!

I'm still wondering what the statue said to you. Did the figure of the exhausted pilgrim suggest that it was time to join him on the bench? That said, I'm glad that your various afflictions have not destroyed your splendid enthusiasm and resilience. Best wishes for your next accident- and injury-free trek!

I'm still wondering what the statue said to you. Did the figure of the exhausted pilgrim suggest that it was time to join him on the bench? That said, I'm glad that your various afflictions have not destroyed your splendid enthusiasm and resilience. Best wishes for your next accident- and injury-free trek!
Seriously, this beat up pilgrim statue is completely different from all the other similar statues in Burgos that seem to be of the same sculptor. I have more research to do on this!

Really though, I learned many years ago that when the body says no,, it’s time to develop an interest in something a bit more sedentary for a little bit. This morning I went out for several hours and walked around town photographing the other similar statues that I could find.

I will not be walking through the park, on the way out of town, which is where several more of these interesting statues can be found.

I am going to add some photographs of those that were more readily available.

Attachments

• 768A7300-8E3D-4864-8200-508DB7EBEAF2.jpeg
    768A7300-8E3D-4864-8200-508DB7EBEAF2.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 51
  • 9A8C50EE-D6D8-4752-89A8-5F9648F9C1B8.jpeg
    9A8C50EE-D6D8-4752-89A8-5F9648F9C1B8.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 48
  • 3F68D6BC-139F-425E-B547-63C5BDAA5AAF.jpeg
    3F68D6BC-139F-425E-B547-63C5BDAA5AAF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
  • 55033935-D01B-497A-9A1D-23A664F2A00B.jpeg
    55033935-D01B-497A-9A1D-23A664F2A00B.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 50
  • EE94970C-876D-40B2-877B-B8ECDF297DED.jpeg
    EE94970C-876D-40B2-877B-B8ECDF297DED.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 46
  • 3792A67C-7337-45C8-82F4-8C7E3485B39A.jpeg
    3792A67C-7337-45C8-82F4-8C7E3485B39A.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Hi Deb!

My younger son walked with me for the first two weeks of my most recent Frances, but then had to leave.... He left his walking stick with me, to do with as I pleased. I propped it up against the statue you speak of, with a note (English and Spanish) giving it away.... The note blew away after about fifteen minutes, and some local boys walked off with the stick .

When he and I walk together again, this might be a good place to start.

SvkaCohR3n9NDFwl2O-Fxbp1EkbOZ3MJh5hOTOVY-FpIeci-C_QYyq9Z1wiMElH7O6wPSoYysKZhQ3UtfH1alA=w1920-h949-rw

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back