• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrimage focused on Mary in France?

Time of past OR future Camino
A friend mentioned that she had heard of a pilgrimage in France focused on Mary. I thought I had read of such a pilgrimage in this forum but now I can't find the thread. Has anyone heard of such a pilgrimage? Can you steer me toward info on it? Thanks, Liz

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Liz,

Well of course the best known place is Lourdes in the south. Lots of people include it in their walking / pilgrimage. Another well known pilgrimage place is Rocamadour and the cathedral in Chartres.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have not read the book "Virgin Trails" by Robert Ward, but perhaps it might be helpful to you.

The following comments taken from Amazon.com and Amazon.ca:

Virgin Trails: A Secular Pilgrimage Hardcover – May 1, 2002
by Robert Ward (Author)

In Medieval and Renaissance Europe, humble journeyman painters would depict the Virgin Mary in city walls and cobblestones. Their identities have long been erased by time, and they are remembered today only as madonnari, the Madonna painters.

In Virgin Trails, author Robert Ward sets out to become a modern-day madonnaro, painting a contemporary portrait of the most beloved figure in Catholic theology. As Ward points out, Mary has little to say in the Bible itself and our image of her has been built piece by piece over two millennia. To understand how we have come to view her, then, we must return to the great Marian cathedrals, shrines and pilgrimages of Christian Europe. So from Paris to Lourdes, and from the Camino de Santiago to Loreto, Ward's curious, wry and intelligent quest to find the truth of Mary unfolds.

And it unfolds with true Chaucerian delight. Full of colour, character and conversation, Virgin Trails is as much a portrait of the people Ward meets and the places he visits as it is of Mary. At once a thought-provoking examination of the nature of spirituality and belief, and an affirmation of the beauty of the human spirit.

Virgin Trails is a fascinating, colourful and often mesmerizing journal of one man’s quest to understand the sacred and profane. It is a story that takes us along thousands of miles of streets, roads and alleyways, following the routes taken by thousands of devout travellers each year to the legendary shrines of the Virgin Mary in Paris, Lourdes, along the Camino de Santiago to Barcelona and Rome. Why do they do this? What is it that propels so many people each year to forsake the comforts of home, to face inclement weather and the travails of travel? Writer Robert Ward takes to the hills to answer that very question, encountering pilgrims, priests, sages and sightseers. His journey is a ceaseless series of epiphanies — probing the shadowy reaches of his own soul and the lives of his fellow travellers — ending where all roads lead: Rome.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Le-Puy-en-Velay is another old place of Marian Pilgrimage.
Margaret

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back