A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

New Book: A Pilgrimage to Eternity

RobertS26

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, (2013)
Camino Frances, (2014)
Camino Frances, (2015)
I see that there is a new book on the bestsellers list called A Pilgrimage to Eternity: From Canterbury to Rome in Search of Faith by Timothy Egan. Has anyone read it? Do you recommend it? And why?

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
I have read it. Quite a challenging read: a great deal of family history of sexual abuse and other resentments against the Catholic church and a number of long diversions into church history and doctrinal questions. Not simply a travelogue. The author remains quite open and questioning and overall seems to find his journey a very positive experience.

bmcbride

CVRambler
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2014), Camino Inca (2015), Primitivo (2017), Portugues (2018), Finisterre (2018)
I have just started reading it; only at chapter 5. I'm finding it a bit slow-going at first. As the previous post indicated, it is not a travelogue (which might have been what I was expecting before starting to read it). But now I'm intrigued enough to want to continue reading

timr

Camino(s) past & future
Several and counting...
I read the publicity first, and read an interview, and saw that he admitted he took bus and train when it suited him. I support him 100% in this - it's none of my business and I would genuinely never criticise anyone else's choice, BUT it made me sure I didn't want to read it. Hopping ahead is not my style. I have walked from Canterbury to Thessaloniki in the past year.

Then finally a sample appeared on Amazon which I read. And I was beguiled. I bought the print version the day it came out!

And then next day I headed for Spain for the Camino de Invierno. I’m sitting in Rodeiro as I write this in a lIvely bar. And I'm looking forward to reading the book next week.

I did touch my copy before I left!😉

Last edited:

jayree

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to SdC 2012
Irun to Fisterra 2013
Shikoku 2015
CP 2016
I've just read it and very much enjoyed it. In fact I ordered Egan's book after a brief discussion on this forum one week ago. This is not the usual chatty travelogue that most pilgrims write but a thoughtful exploration of the history of the VF and Catholicism. But, as my grandfather often said, "sometimes the truth hurts."

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock