• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Place to stay in Porto

laurenjk

Time of past OR future Camino
Would love suggestions from recent pilgrims of where to stay in Porto before I begin my walk this mid-September. I would prefer a GOOD night's sleep for this night-before...so a private room in an albergue or a very reasonable other choice. Yes, I have apps/ guidebooks, read blogs (and have walked the Francés). Looking for PERSONAL experience. Grazie mille.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Porto Republica which recently changed it name. It is very decent and safe place to stay, nice breakfast room and near many local restaurants.

Would love suggestions from recent pilgrims of where to stay in Porto before I begin my walk this mid-September. I would prefer a GOOD night's sleep for this night-before...so a private room in an albergue or a very reasonable other choice. Yes, I have apps/ guidebooks, read blogs (and have walked the Francés). Looking for PERSONAL experience. Grazie mille.
Try Sandemans.(not sure of full title.Bit more expensive than traditional hostel but,boy do you notice the difference.I had a great first night there recently before starting Portuguese coastal.O think its €32 but they do get booked up quite quickly.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Try Sandemans.(not sure of full title.Bit more expensive than traditional hostel but,boy do you notice the difference.I had a great first night there recently before starting Portuguese coastal.O think its €32 but they do get booked up quite quickly.
Its actually across the water at Vila Nova de Gaia amongst the port houses

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just checked this out. Wow. Booked the 8-bed women's dorm. It is gorgeous. Thank you so much!
Very welcome.I was in the mixed dorm.Lovely breakfast,in the bar,and the staff were all very,very nice and helpful.Enjoy your Camino.I did.

I stayed in the Albergue de Peregrinos in Porto in April and found it a lovely place to spend a night - rooms were comfortable and it has a really nice social space out the back with a little bar.

I stayed at the Monumental Palace hotel for 3 nights, which was in a great location right next to Aliados metro. It was a comfortable hotel with swimming pool and pleasant rooms and it was also very quiet. I'd definitely recommend it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So cool albergue

Bom Dia :)

I think the Hotel Boa Vista is the best place - it is old timey in all the right ways, breakfast lovely and it is in Foz area right on the beach/camino.

If you prefer in town, where it is super busy and I think a bit distracting for the focus you might want to start a camino, I think MOOV Centro up near the famed Majestic Cafe and car free Rua Santa Caterina is basic but perfect. Passenger Hostel is inside Sao Bento train station which is awesome and a good starting point too, but I am not sure the most quiet sleep if that is what you need.
Bom Camino

We stayed at the House of Sandeman too, about 10 days ago. Great beds in the dorm, quiet. I think the private rooms face the street. Welcome drinks, great breakfast, easy walk just across the bridge.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I recommend
I recommend GuestHouse Do Marques. It’s a small family run establishment. Owners are super friendly. All spotless clean private rooms have en-suite bathrooms. It is located across from the Marques metro station and faces a quiet, leafy park. Plenty of cafes, restaurants and supermarkets within short walking distance. Prices are roughly $65-$75/night. I’ve stayed here twice, including once prior to starting my Camino from Porto to Santiago.
Bom Caminho!

Last September, we stayed in the Best Guest Porto Hostel - it is literally only minutes from your camino start at the Cathedral - you just walk up the hill. We took the Senda Litoral route from the cathedral out of Porto and just made our way down to the water from there.
Perfect location for getting around the city too. We stayed in a 4 bed dorm with it's own bathroom. We had a lovely stay for two nights and would recommend. It was approx 30 euro per night, and a very nice breakfast was 3 euro. Close to restaurants. They let us leave luggage there at noon (on arrival from airport) until official check in later in afternoon. Lots of options.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I recently stayed at the Lost Inn Hostel and it was nice because it’s steps from the cathedral but it is more of a youth hostel than a Camino hostel (I was the only person there doing the Camino) but it was great being by the cathedral to start my Camino. It was clean, free sangria in the evening and caldo soup on certain nights.

Last month I stayed two nights in Porto before starting my Camino.
First night in The House of Sandeman (because of late check-in) and the second night in Albergue peregrinos Porto.

Sandeman is a very nice place, big and comfortable beds, nice and clean bathrooms, breakfast and a coffee in a beautiful common area... great location to start exploring the city.

Albergue peregrinos Porto is also a very good place, clean and cosy with a beautiful garden and very well organized. This was my first real pilgrim experience.

Wherever you decide to stay don't sleep with an open windows ( unless it has a fly screen) we were eaten by mosquitoes in Porto early September!
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just checked this out. Wow. Booked the 8-bed women's dorm. It is gorgeous. Thank you so much!
I stayed at the Sandeman Hostel in April. Loved it. I particularly liked that the bathrooms (toilet, sink, shower) are "onesies," so you get to have it to yourself. The bed was comfortable, breakfast was good, staff were friendly and helpful. A great way to start your camino!

AirPorto Hostel is about a ten minute walk from Porto Airport. I stayed there twice. Excellent.

I stayed at Gallery Hostel the night before starting the Camino. It was excellent and ideally located a couple of minutes walk from the Camino. I got the bus back to Porto from Santiago and spent a couple of nights in the House of Sandeman Hostel on the other side of the river in Vila Nova de Gaia and then a couple nights back at Gallery Hostel. Loved both of these hostels but for starting the Camino Gallery Hostel was the best location. They have private rooms as well as dorms.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The House of Sandeman is its full name - great place to stay - central. Loved it

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back