• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning a Trip now

tatt2d79

My name is Kenny and I am planning to walk the Camino De Santiago solo...

The reason I want to walk is because I am a soldier in the US Army and I am being medically retired due to what they call PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). I am walking hoping that I will be able to find the old me everyone remembers. Since my 4 deployments to Iraq and afghanistan I have lost a piece of me and have changed to an angry aggressive person due to the things I have seen. This has caused me to lose to wives and my 2 boys. I am praying this walk will give me my faith back and become the man i once was.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola Kenny

Welcome to the Forum. As you prepare you pilgrimage ask any questions you might have and members will try to answer from their own experience. There is also a good FAQ section.

Best wishes

John

Hi Kenny.

This is a good plan and I pray you'll have a meaningful experience. As John said, ask any questions. We'll all help as much as we can.

Melanie

P.S. Thanks for your service to our country.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
tatt2d79 said:
My name is Kenny and I am planning to walk the Camino De Santiago solo...

The reason I want to walk is because I am a soldier in the US Army and I am being medically retired due to what they call PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). I am walking hoping that I will be able to find the old me everyone remembers. Since my 4 deployments to Iraq and afghanistan I have lost a piece of me and have changed to an angry aggressive person due to the things I have seen. This has caused me to lose to wives and my 2 boys. I am praying this walk will give me my faith back and become the man i once was.

I too will pray that your journey will be a life-changing one for you as it is for so many pilgrims, and that you will find peace along the way.

Hi Kenny,

many people do the Camino to heal their soul.

No magic or miracle here. Walking day after day in peace and solitude, sharing moments with others when you feel like, carrying with you everything you need to survive and yet feel light, being in a different place every day and seeing that life is impermanence, learning to value solidarity and about human fragility, experiencing freedom, love, gratitude, compassion, these are all part of the Camino, and they do something to you. It's impossible not to feel touched somehow.

If you got PTSD it means you are a sensitive person -- only a brute doesn't get deeply distressed in the midst of a war. Now it's time to allow that sensitivity to undo the damage the war did to you.

Just approach the Camino with humbleness, without any great expectations, and I''m sure you will be able to get back in touch with yourself somewhere in the vastness of the Spanish countryside all around you. Having been to hell and coming out of it, you will never be the person you used to be -- you will be a BETTER person. Just let the Camino guide you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Kenny,
I too will be thinking about you. I'm so sorry your war experiences have resulted in the destruction of your family. You must all be devasted as I imagine they cannot understand any more than I can the hurt and pain you must be feeling. It's truly a tragedy what war does to people.
Walking the camino can bring wonderful people into your life if you are open to it, who will start to feel like family before you are done - never to replace those you have lost of course, but who may help to convince you that you are appreciated and cared about.
I hope your camino journey will walk you back to yourself and help you find peace after the horrible experiences you must have had as you served your country.
Forgive us all for not understanding but please know we are cheering for your return to a more peaceful and happy self.
Buen camino
Cecelia (from Canada)

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back