• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning again - VdlP & Sanabrés (from Zamora)

Babyboomergirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2017
Primitivo 2018
Finisterre/Muxía 2018
Norte 2019
Hello from Western Australia,

This year in April I started my long postponed camino from Seville which sadly ended in Zamora due to a stress fracture in my right knee.
Four months later and I’m dreaming about returning to finish the journey to Santiago de Compostela.
I’m still on very limited walking and hope to get the all clear from the orthopaedic surgeon in December that I can start some serious training.

Having read many live from the camino reports I am wondering how difficult the Sanabrés route is compared to the Norte and the Primitivo ?

Also will it be too hot in June ? I can go then or wait until October 2024.

Any information about shorter stages and private accomodation options greatly appreciated.

After all the excitement and joy of starting the camino this year I was devastated to not complete the journey and having walked from Seville I wasn’t too concerned about my fitness.
Now I’m second guessing it all 😔

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
G'Day @Babyboomergirl
I know that feeling of having to abandon your camino, it happened to me in 2013 (after 5 days).
You are smart waiting for the Doc to give you the all clear. If you wanted to start in May (from Salamanca or Zamora) I suggest that you would finish before the really hot weather started.
As for comparing the VDLP& Sanabres with either of the other two routes I cannot really say as have not walked them. Hopefully some our more experienced pilgrims will put up with some definitive news.
In the meantime you can probably start some exercises in a hydrotherapy pool - a good physio will be able to help, even before the orthopaedic doc gives the all clear. Cheers

I walked all three routes mentioned. For sure both the Norte and the Primitivo are harder.
I don't know much about private accomodations on the Sanabres, always stayed in Albergues. About the possibilities of shortening the stages it is best to look at Gronze. I found places to stay in "intermediate" stages but dont know if it is possible all the way

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
G'Day @Babyboomergirl
I know that feeling of having to abandon your camino, it happened to me in 2013 (after 5 days).
You are smart waiting for the Doc to give you the all clear. If you wanted to start in May (from Salamanca or Zamora) I suggest that you would finish before the really hot weather started.
As for comparing the VDLP& Sanabres with either of the other two routes I cannot really say as have not walked them. Hopefully some our more experienced pilgrims will put up with some definitive news.
In the meantime you can probably start some exercises in a hydrotherapy pool - a good physio will be able to help, even before the orthopaedic doc gives the all clear. Cheers
Thanks. I have started rehab exercises with a physio and he is very encouraging that I’ll be camino fit by mid next year. Hydrotherapy pool and exercise bike instead of walking for now.

I walked all three routes mentioned. For sure both the Norte and the Primitivo are harder.
I don't know much about private accomodations on the Sanabres, always stayed in Albergues. About the possibilities of shortening the stages it is best to look at Gronze. I found places to stay in "intermediate" stages but dont know if it is possible all the way
Thank you. That’s encouraging. I’ve walked both the Primitivo and the Norte without problems so I was disappointed to get an injury this year. I think the four year delay & Covid lockdowns must have affected my camino fitness !

Finished the Sanabres a few weeks ago and there is a serious section around Padornelo where you are climbing to 300m and then down again but nothing serious before or after this. Easier than the Norte. Can't comment on the Primitivo.

Accommodation might be an issue but Gronze was quite useful. There is also a useful virtual planning page on the Sanabres which was useful when looking at the route but as is usual with planning, the plan goes out the window at some stage. I missed a whole section out of Cea by going too far north. I only realised this when some of the local chased me to tell me if I was going to Santiago, I was going the wrong way. God bless the locals.

Weather in August / September was benign and overcast. One day of rain but June will be hot - in European terms. You should be fine if you slip, slap, slop.

Attachments

• Padornelo Approach.JPG
    Padornelo Approach.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 22
  • Padornelo Descent.JPG
    Padornelo Descent.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 22
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked in October / November. Cool and a bit cold in the mornings but nothing to complain about. There are a few strenuous climbs but nothing too bad if you take it slowly.
I stayed mainly in Albergues but I think there is plenty of private accommodation too. Gronze will give details.
I managed to do mainly stages of under 20 Km on the Sanabres and did a lot of very short 10 k stages (approximate) to alternate with the 20 Km ones. But there is a 31 Km stage after the Monastery in Oseira. However you should have a bit of trail fitness by then.
I wrote a daily journal which shows my stops if you are interested.
I really loved the Via after Zamora - and before of course - very beautiful.

This doesn’t answer the original question but I will jump in.
I have walked the CF and Norte pre-Covid and I walked the Salvador and Primitivo in May this year. I am tossing up between two very different Caminos in 2024 , Lebaniego/Vadiniense or Vía de la Plata from Merida along the Sanabrés.
I guess I am wondering whether I will find the scenery along the V de P a little underwhelming after all those glorious mountains. I am keen to visit some of the historic towns though and looking forward to a gentler but slightly longer walk. I will use private accommodation and think I can plan to keep most days below 20-25.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

I have walked the CF and Norte pre-Covid and I walked the Salvador and Primitivo in May this year. I am tossing up between two very different Caminos in 2024 , Lebaniego/Vadiniense or Vía de la Plata from Merida along the Sanabrés.
I guess I am wondering whether I will find the scenery along the V de P a little underwhelming after all those glorious mountains. I am keen to visit some of the historic towns though and looking forward to a gentler but slightly longer walk. I will use private accommodation and think I can plan to keep most days below 20-25.
Sorry- I should have said that I would start the V de P at the beginning of March -

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

A few flat and possibly ‘boring’ days after Mérida but you start getting to the hills pretty soon.
The landscape is varied and interesting and of course beautiful Galicia for the last couple of weeks.
Historic places include Casar de Cácares, Hervàs, Caparra Ruinas Romanas, Salamanca, Zamora, Puebla de Sanabia and of course hot springs at Ourense. The Sanabres is beautiful and I’m sure will become more and more popular.
I mostly walked around 20 Km per day. There are a few longer days (a couple of non-negotiable 33 k days but taxis will help) but I always followed those with a 10-15 Km day without a problem.
While this Camino is not just Galician mountain beauty I don’t think you will be disappointed by its variety and history.
Buen Camino

A few flat and possibly ‘boring’ days after Mérida but you start getting to the hills pretty soon.
The landscape is varied and interesting and of course beautiful Galicia for the last couple of weeks.
Historic places include Casar de Cácares, Hervàs, Caparra Ruinas Romanas, Salamanca, Zamora, Puebla de Sanabia and of course hot springs at Ourense. The Sanabres is beautiful and I’m sure will become more and more popular.
I mostly walked around 20 Km per day. There are a few longer days but I always followed those with a 10-15 Km day without a problem.
While this Camino is not just Galician mountain beauty I don’t think you will be disappointed by its variety and history.
Buen Camino
Thank you Rita. Just what I wanted to hear.

I walked in October / November. Cool and a bit cold in the mornings but nothing to complain about. There are a few strenuous climbs but nothing too bad if you take it slowly.
I stayed mainly in Albergues but I think there is plenty of private accommodation too. Gronze will give details.
I managed to do mainly stages of under 20 Km on the Sanabres and did a lot of very short 10 k stages (approximate) to alternate with the 20 Km ones. But there is a 31 Km stage after the Monastery in Oseira. However you should have a bit of trail fitness by then.
Thank you Rita,
I did follow your journal when I was planning the VdlP . It was all a bit overwhelming for me before I started so I had meticulous notes as far as Salamanca and then not so much detail. I will go back and look at the later stages. Great to know shorter distances are possible.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I mostly walked around 20 Km per day. There are a few longer days (a couple of non-negotiable 33 k days but taxis will help) but I always followed those with a 10-15 Km day without a problem.
Buen Camino
Hi I would be interested in reading your journal in preparation for our walk

Hi I would be interested in reading your journal in preparation for our walk

I’ve made these public. Hope the links work. More a personal reflective journal than descriptions of the route (there are already a few of these in the Via section of the forum). But I have recorded stops, kms, and a bit later, weather, clothes and photos for every post.

Via

Sanabres

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Rita, I plan VdlP from Sevilla to Salamanca, 1st March 2024. Plan to take umbrella/parasol. Please could you say more about the one you were so pleased with? many thanks!

Hi Rita, I plan VdlP from Sevilla to Salamanca, 1st March 2024. Plan to take umbrella/parasol. Please could you say more about the one you were so pleased with? many thanks!

I had a Euroschirm light trek. It telescoped in to a short length (29 cm) for easy transportation but was a bit tricky to rig up to be hands free - I like to walk with two poles. A tall person might have found it tricky. One advantage was that on rainy days I could tuck it into my pack belt at the front so it was readily accessible in on-and-off light rain.

This version is designed for hands free - closed length is longer (67 cm) and extends up to a metre.

I didn’t realise there were two versions When I bought my umbrella.

These umbrellas offer UV protection and don’t get destroyed in the wind. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

I walked with a man who just had an ordinary umbrella for the sun. Lots of people on the forum shared that they have opted for a cheap ordinary umbrella.

I had a Euroschirm light trek. It telescoped in to a short length (29 cm) for easy transportation but was a bit tricky to rig up to be hands free - I like to walk with two poles. A tall person might have found it tricky. One advantage was that on rainy days I could tuck it into my pack belt at the front so it was readily accessible in on-and-off light rain.

This version is designed for hands free - closed length is longer (67 cm) and extends up to a metre.

These umbrellas offer UV protection and don’t get destroyed in the wind. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

I walked with a man who just had an ordinary umbrella for the sun. Lots of people on the forum shared that they have opted for a cheap ordinary umbrella.
I bought a Euroschirm swing after your advice and was so glad I had one.
We started in Seville in April in a heatwave and the umbrella was definitely worth its weight. We only had one morning where it rained for a few hours and it was also good in the rain. The hands free attachment worked very well . I became known as the umbrella lady 😊

Attachments

• DSC01984.jpeg
    DSC01984.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 15
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I bought a Euroschirm swing after your advice and was so glad I had one.
Did you find it easy to carry on your pack when you weren’t using it? At 76cm collapsed it is almost half my body length. I’ll start in Merida at the beginning of March - I’m hoping my wide brimmed Tilley and uv arm protectors will be enough but it is tempting to get the brolly.

Did you find it easy to carry on your pack when you weren’t using it? At 76cm collapsed it is almost half my body length. I’ll start in Merida at the beginning of March - I’m hoping my wide brimmed Tilley and uv arm protectors will be enough but it is tempting to get the brolly.
If you are starting in Merida in March you should be ok with the hat and arm protectors. It was the first camino where I’ve used an umbrella and the weather this year was unseasonably hot in April. I only used it on the very hot days with no shade and it is extra weight to carry. I didn’t really notice it on my pack and I managed to neatly tuck it into the side straps so carrying it wasn’t a problem.DSC02684.jpeg

Thank you for this information

€46,-

Agree in the main with @Babyboomergirl
There were a few very hot hard days after Mérida - in early October. My journal says I was very grateful for my umbrella. It’s not just for UV protection but the shade factor as well.
One of the main gains is that you don’t need as much water - or so the experts say. I don’t think I ever carried more than 2.3 litres.
The longer umbrella is pretty easily stashed in the back pack side pocket - I saw others do it.
The short umbrella sits in the side pocket or can be tucked into the front belt of the pack if quick and easy access is needed.

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back