• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning ahead

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2009) Le Puy (2018)
After completing our Camino (STPDP to SDC) in 2009 it has been with us every day. At the end we were sore, tired and spent. Our final 3 days at Santiago saw the circles become complete as we caught up at various stages with all our friends made along the way (some who had arrived before us and others that walked in after us). It all seemed to work. At that point we felt we would be unlikely to ever repeat the experience (it was a physically tough experience especially on my wife who suffers from back pain and her feet were constantly sore, blistered and nail less). She even threw her boots away at Santiago vowing to not walk anywhere again. Since then she has completed multiple wilderness walks and long distance bike rides.. I think she has worn out 2 more pairs of walking boots since 2009. The memories of pain disappear in time but the memory of the Camino, the country, the Spanish, the food, the alburgues, the smells and the pilgrims of all shapes, sizes, ages, cultures and their common attitudes are never forgotten Within days of our Camino finishing, the realisation of what we had just done and achieved started to hit home. I look back today almost 6 years later and still can't believe it. How did we do that? I am sure many pilgrims experience this 'after glow' and the Camino grows in their memories and starts to effect them in their future lives. It certainly changed us when within just 6 months of our return we had 'scaled' down. Selling our big house and moving to a small apartment in the city. And we certainly got rid of a lot of 'stuff'. All about the learning about what we carry each day and reducing the load of course. It probably took us about 3 months to switch from saying we could never do that again until we started to work out when and how we could . There was never a question of why. The first target date to commence our second Camino was 2013 (still whilst we were in the work force) but that has come and gone and our plans had to be cancelled for family, financial and time reasons. Since then we have done many other things including last year (2014) when I was able to walk up Mt Kilimanjaro. However, now retirement is on the horizon - just a touch over 3 years and again we are aiming to experience our second Camino. We know it will be different (nothing will ever be like our 32 days in May and June in 2009). This time we are making it different anyway in that we have no deadline at all (as we will be retired of course) so have decided to start in Le Puy. We won't have a finish date (although we do talk about perhaps a 3 month experience this time). It doesn't matter about time so we will be slow and be stopping to take in all that presents itself. Not sure if anyone else plans ahead like we (I) do and we don't really want to wish our lives away but I am aching to put on that pack again and walk. So its now out there - we hope to start around April - finishing July 2018.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That sounds like a wonderful plan!

Buen Camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
What a great plan, I do like the part with no return date and giving yourself lots of time to enjoy and live the Camino.
The best to you.
Buen Camino.

@Al the optimist and @SYates you do make me laugh sometimes! Love your work.

@walkingtotheend I can feel your excitement and know exactly how you feel. I'm the same. Long may we be able to do this! And, by the by, the Le Puy route is a great choice for a second camino, although quite different to walking the Camino Frances in Spain. Enjoy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back