• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning on walking September 06

Artemis

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2006, Camino Portuguese 2009
After 5 years of thinking, reading and talking about doing this pilgrimage I am finally going to do it this coming September.
I am 52, female and from US. I believe my sister may go with me.
I plan to start at St. Jean Pied du Port but the more I read about people starting further in France the more it interests me.
I am really enjoying reading about everyone's experiences here.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi...

Well Artemis, it was about time. Congratulations!!! I am glad to hear you finally made up your mind and decided to walk El Camino. Welcome and keep reading, you'll find a lot of good information here. By the way, my name is Hortensia and I am from MĂ©xico, I also have been planning this trip for about a year now I my plans are to travel to Madrid on the 22nd of May, however, things are getting a little tight right now and I may have to postpone my trip but I'm telling you, I'll do it sooner or later.

Buen Camino...

Hortensia... :wink:

Hi Hortensia, nice to meet you. I would love to be going in May but there is just not enough time for me to plan everything. I know I don't want to do it in the summer because of the heat, so Fall it is!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi again...

Well I might be joining you in Sept. because as I said, things are a little bit difficult now and it might have to be later on or if not for sure next year in May, I hope it is sooner though because I can hardly wait.

Nice meeting you too Artemis, and I will be seeing you here again... keep in touch.

Buen Camino...

Hortensia... :p

I know, it's like once you make up your mind to go the time can't come fast enough. Are you traveling alone or with someone?
At least you don't have to put "learn Spanish" on your "to do" list.

September

I did it at aged 56 two years ago, starting in September. Every day, but one, was sunny in the upper 60's absolutely perfect walking weather all the way from SJPP to Finisterre - Do not miss Finisterre - for me it was the highlight of the trip. Walking barefoot along the beach and finding a perfect scallop shell in the sand (which I treasure to this day) and then mediating to the sound of atlantic rollers crashing ashore underneath the lighthouse.

Do try and get your pack down to 7Kgs it is plenty - You see lots of people struggling unneccesarily with huge packs.

Good luck and Buen camino
Geoff

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I actually am planning on going to Finisterre. I bought a book about it the same time I got the book about Santiago. I can't see jumping on a plane right after that experience so I think Finisterre is just the thing.
I am glad to hear about the weather being so mild in September. I can stand the cold but can't seem to take the heat. I live in US in the south and most of the time it is so hot and humid that I keep threatening to move to Alaska or the North Pole. :)

Hi Artemis

I've been "planning" my Camino for about the same time, in fact sice I first heard about it, although I didn't do much untill last year when I decided to start in late August. I live in france about 70 Km from Le puy and therefore intend to start from my own door step, interestingly I can pick up the Cluney/le Puy camino at the end of my first days march.

I understand that the French route is somewhat more interesting (beautiful) than the Spanish part.

I expect to arrive in Spain around the second week of September and just to have a goal arrive in Satiago for all saints day 1st November.
Best of luck maybe our times will coincide
Mike Spain :)

Hi...

Hi Mike, welcome to the club of dreamers...

It feels good to know that there are a lot of people out there with the same dream... or goal. It just makes me want it more... and as you say, maybe our times will coincide.

Good luck to you and God bless...

Buen Camino.

Hortensia... :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Mike. How lucky to be able to start from your own front door. When I first started thinking about doing this pilgrimage, 500 miles could as well be a million miles but now I find I have been thinking of starting further into France. I mean the biggest expense to me will be the airfare and I keep thinking that while I am there I may as well experience some of France also so I do have Le Puy bookmarked on my computer.

Good luck to you.

Hi...

Hi... Hey, that's a very good tip, flying from US to UK, I live in MĂ©xico very close to the US border, I am going to check the flights from Texas to UK and compare with the ones leaving from MĂ©xico, I have a flight reservation for May 22 from Monterrey Mexico- Atlanta-Madrid, and the cost is US$1,800.00 which is a lot of money... However, if I am able to go in May I will pay US$1,000.00 for the same flight because I am a teacher and I get a discount, but still it's a lot of money...

I'll see what I can find... thanks a lot.

Buen Camino...

Hortensia... :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Air flights

I know that I am a Wimp but my biggest worry initially was how to get back, until I found that for about 40Euros/$total!! I can fly to London and back to St Etienne (40Km fom home)with Ryan air
Mike

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Greetings to everyone, my name is Emre, I am actually from Turkey but I am currently doing an internship in Paris. I have had experience with routes such as the Lycian Way before, so I think I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back