• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning to go in two years... But have some physical limitations.

William Garza

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg
Hello, I've been looking at the Caminos for a couple of weeks and I think it is something I will do.
I have always been a wanderer and sought solitude by nature, walking out of the house and down the road with my German Shepard.. as soon as i figured out how to pop the latch on the screen door!
I look forward to the highs and lows of the road and I think i have convinced a friend that an adventure is in order. He wants to bike the Camino Frances, IDK if he has looked into the different routs,
I am looking at the Southern routes, to see, smell ,taste and feel the extremadura, or whichever rout in any case.
now that the initial excitement has worn, I look forward to the journey..and there is the problem.
I'me physically challenged..I can and can not walk too far, or sit too long, or sleep comfortably, or carry too awful much without hurting myself.
Spine injuries and other inconveniences will slow me. I am ambulatory, and can do many things just like normals, except with higher limitations.

I'me going to be fifty when I take the journey, I fully intend to finish also
In my heart its not the trip of a lifetime, its another journey in my lifetime,
also I would like to do it in winter. to feel, to live a closer to truth pilgrims experience

so I start walking today to start the hardening process, I figure two years will be enough!
any advice from other physically challenged Pilgrims will be surely appreciated!
Que te Pasa un Buen Camino, El viento en tu espaldas Y los pieses no duelen!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You might want to consider the monchilla services, they will transport you pack / luggage for you. Carry a small day pack with water and food. Leave from Sarria and do short distances each day. You're still going to cover some rough ground, but it might be doable!

Thank You Thor! I ..well my spirit is willing, but the body is treacherous, I read somewhere that the European visitation is 90 days? ive seen some posted and videos showing the Camino Frances done in 45 or so, so my buddy and me figure a somewhat slower paced route. I definitely will look into the Monchilla services.
The Buddy wants to ride the route, but i feel like i will lose the soul of the journey, the experience of the dappled light of the sun under trees in a far off place, to feel the wind of far off places, to .."be" in the moments.
I can ride, I used to do distance riding,
I do want to so much to do the journey, on my own power..Fate will tell, ive still two years to train :)
Thank You again.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On a bicycle, you get some rest on the downhills. Uphill is the great equalizer. For baggage service, walking or riding, try http://www.jacotrans.com/ for typical service. Remember that each morning when you send your bags ahead, you are committed to a distance. That is the advantage of a backpack or panniers; your stuff is always with you.

Thank You Falcon. we/I..am in the training stage, only time will show the truth of my body, and accepting the truth of what is, a little damage is ok, its for the best, I will look into the Jacotrans link!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You will know long before two years from now whether your body agrees with your mind.
Yes! but every step I think is one more step unto the road. I expect the best and prepare for the worst case. I will find myself there..I am relying on the wisdom of those who've left their prints in the mud before me, i'me thankful for all the advice i am finding here in the forums. I know the km's are not easy, and wont get any easier as they pass, but deep and sure is the stream inside me.. I look forward to the trial by fire, to know the effort, to..."push" against what tells me to stop. what journey is worth the cost unless sacrifice is made.Thank you indyinmaine for reminding me of the truth of things!

Be careful you don't make it too formidable. Given enough time, not carrying a pack, and your choice of lodgings I truly believe there are very few, percentage-wise, who can't make it.

Indyinmaine
Thank you for telling me like it is, This will be a test, and a sacrifice of sorts. I'me calming down..lol and thinking the Camino Frances will be the first route I try. My friend has bad knees and is a clydesdale like me,
I'me 6 ft and 3 stone, but am more fit than i make myself sound. its the injuries that are the wall for me. Nerve damage to the L, T, and C Spine, cervical neuropathy attendant with a few other issues.. oh well. :)
Impatience is the killer, ide be so excited ide try to walk day and nite if there were a full moon.
curiosity..will be my help though, I love the experience of things, and photos of whats over that hill, of this fenceline, of that old building... the immursion of the moment, now can you see my drive.
tempering the need with reality will be the hard part, i tend to push beyond physical limitations, I am alive , therefore i must
the price though,
It is weighed
Measured
and if found worth the sacrifice, is pursued.
I write in a forum dealing with matters of he heart and the pain of depression.
Acceptance is the key to moving forward with living, to transcend perceived limitations (within reason) and fight their conditions and live.
I hope to give them hope
Thank you again

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked in parallel with an 50+ American living in Paris who had lost a leg at age 18 in an automobile accident. When he decided to walk the Camino, he trained by climbing up and down his apartment building stairs. He walked from SJPdP to Fisterra on Canadian crutches. I met him in Rabanal at the municipal albergue. He was about a half step faster than I, but we arrived in many of the same albergues all the way to Santiago. There are not many things that cannot be done with the combination of motivation and follow through.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I use my regular cane when it all gets to be a bit much. the sciatica and all. I have all my heart behind this, pain or no, it is part of the journey. I am finding my way back to what made the essential me. The me that isn't so self centered on the problems and more on the one that wasn't taught to be, expected to be a certain way because of limitations. therein is the friction of life, balancing the possibility with reality. Every fiber of me knows this is good and right to do. It is like Faith, that is, none of my five senses can access the very idea of Faith, But I believe nonetheless.. I hope i don't offend you with my ideology,, it isnt my intention, its ann alliteration to what is afire inside me.
in my heart, ime already out there, on some road out in the big empty,
and ime free, away from this broken shell that I inhabit. where all the pieces grind and spall away.
that is what it means to me.
that is why I train, and research, thank you once again for the leads to what is possible and how.
reality and what I want are to different aspects of the same road
and the reconciliation will be glorious!

for the longest time the fire to go has been dormant, and now once again lit, i must follow the beacon to the far horizon
thanks for listening , and understanding :)

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.