A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Port to Tui with Kids

2020 Camino Guides

Sh4rsh

Camino(s) past & future
Hoping to walk camino with children
Hi there,

We’re about to set out on our second Camino with our kids-ages 11 and 13. Last year we completed Tui to Santiago and on Tuesday we start Porto to Tui. My query is about the grading of the walk and footwear. Last year we all wore really good trainers and it was perfect. Do you think we could chance doing the same for this journey or would we need sturdier hill-walking boots. Also, any recommendations for things to do with kids while in Porto-we have 1 full day there. Many thanks, Sharon & Peter

Anna Sar

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese Central, Litoral, Primitivo, San Salvador, di Assisi, Francis Way, Le Puy, Sanabres
Hi, I was walking Portuguese few times and twice with my son. He was 12 and then 16. Forget hiking boots. There is one, not very significant, mountain on the way after Ponte de Lima. A hill rather but with a rocky path. Nothing of a big concern really. Trainers are good enough. Besides there are nice paths and tarmac. Bear in mind that it could be really hot in Portugal and rather no rain expected. Boots would be a torture.
As for Porto I can suggest boat cruise on the river Douro, gondola lift on the left river bank (famous wine tasting at the end in the ticket price ;) ), Torre dos Clerigos (tower to climb), maybe sedgeway guided tour.

Last edited:

Sh4rsh

Camino(s) past & future
Hoping to walk camino with children
Thanks very much for the responses. This is all really helpful. Really looking forward to the adventure now😊😊

RumAndChupacabras

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Jul-Sept 2019: Six weeks in Northern Spain.
Apr 2018 Asturias
May 2016 CP: Portuguese
@Sh4rsh,

As @Anna Sar mentioned, there is a mountain (Alto De Portela aka, La Bruja) which I personally did not consider "not very significant" 😛 . However, I did it my Teva sandals. I agree that (as for me) boots are not necessary.;)

Bom Caminho!

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia (May 2016)
C. Frances (Sept 2017)
Camino Portugues (June 2019)
Just wanted to say good for you! Your kids will never forget it. You are great parents.

yigal

Camino(s) past & future
10/1/16
Hi, I was walking Portuguese few times and twice with my son. He was 12 and then 16. Forget hiking boots. There is one, not very significant, mountain on the way after Ponte de Lima. A hill rather but with a rocky path. Nothing of a big concern really. Trainers are good enough. Besides there are nice paths and tarmac. Bear in mind that it could be really hot in Portugal and rather no rain expected. Boots would be a torture.
As for Porto I can suggest boat cruise on the river Douro, gondola lift on the left river bank (famous wine tasting at the end in the ticket price ;) ), Torre dos Clerigos (tower to climb), maybe sedgeway guided tour.
Hi Anna, thnx for your answer. do you have any more ideas for attractions (for me and my 15 yrs daughter) on the way from porto to Tui?

Anna Sar

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese Central, Litoral, Primitivo, San Salvador, di Assisi, Francis Way, Le Puy, Sanabres
Hi Anna, thnx for your answer. do you have any more ideas for attractions (for me and my 15 yrs daughter) on the way from porto to Tui?
Hi, I am afraid there is no specific attractions on the way apart from walking and observing the nature (lots of small lizzards) :). You may choose Senda Litoral (coastal route ocean shore version) instead of Central Camino and then you will get a walk along the beaches which could be far more interesting for the 15 years old then the fields and the roads. You would be also on the ferry once or twice when you choose Litoral so a kind of adventure.
Anna

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 188 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 310 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 89 7.1%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.2%
  • September

Votes: 355 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 150 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock