• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portugese route

Angelina B

Time of past OR future Camino
HI
I am setting out from Porto on the 6th May. I hope. I am a little (no a lot) nervous about setting out of the city and on the route. Also am undecided on which route to take. Which in anyone's opinion is the most accessible, best sign posted and one I am least likely to get lost on?!!! How is the accommodation on the Portugese route etc etc?
Any information would be gratefully received.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Heading out of the city is not difficult. Let me suggest that from the cathedral that you head down the Douro River to the coast and then just follow the markers north. The CP, either the Central or the Coastal, are well marked. But, to help you and to let you feel a bit more comfortable, download the maps from Mapy.cz on to your phone. As the caminos are marked with blue lines, it is very easy to see where you are at all times. However, the Mapy.cz program only shows the central route out of Porto and doesn’t pick up with the Coastal route until Vila do Conde. Having walked both routes, I can tell you that they are both excellent experiences. However, as we did, we chose the Central Route to do first and we’re very pleased with that choice. As long as you don’t mind walking on cobblestones, it’s an excellent route which includes wonderful towns such as Ponte de Lima, Valenca, and Tui. Further north at Redondela the two routes come together although you can cross over at other points. Another highlight of the Central Route was our overnight at Casa de Fernanda about halfway between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. Other good options exist as well as walking the Variante Espiritual out of Pontevedra. In any case, we have found the Portugués out of Porto to be favorite Caminos of ours.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As Grousedoctor says above, I would suggest walking out of Porto towards the sea on the right bank of the river following the coastal route. I would then suggest crossing to the central route at Vila do Conde after a long first day or two days if you split it. I’m attaching a map of my favoured route as it’s easier to see this visually. Both routes well marked. Buen Camino!

Attachments

• CB2C8286-E3D2-4877-A922-2B8E590F8800.jpeg
    CB2C8286-E3D2-4877-A922-2B8E590F8800.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
On the last day in Porto after my CF I strolled through the city down the riverbanks of the Douro and walked unintendendly ;) up to Matosinhos.
It is really a pleasant walk, not to much traffic, nice views of the Atlantic.
I walked back and took the "Electrico" to the stop "Infante".

I will do the CP from End of March to the Easter weekend, hoping to reach Finisterre this time.

Last edited:
Hello, I am trying to plan my El Camino. I am worried how to get to porto airport from Indiana and back... I think if I can make it to Porto I can handle the walk. Its just trying to get myself organized that I am having trouble with. Im doing the Camino in my head. I guess Im stuck already. I enjoy reading all the posts . Thank you everyone.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello, I am trying to plan my El Camino. I am worried how to get to porto airport from Indiana and back... I think if I can make it to Porto I can handle the walk. Its just trying to get myself organized that I am having trouble with. Im doing the Camino in my head. I guess Im stuck already. I enjoy reading all the posts . Thank you everyone.
What's your closest airport to fly out of? I use Google Flights to find and compare flights and fares, then I book directly on the airline's website.

Right now, focus on how to get there, and what gear you need. Everything else will fall into place.

If all else fails, ask a travel agent?

It may be easier to find a direct flight into Lisbon and get the train to Porto. Portugal is fractionally smaller than Indiana and it’s a well connected country.

It may be easier to find a direct flight into Lisbon and get the train to Porto.
Except if it's a round trip ticket to Lisbon it can be a long trip back to Lisbon, but it's a pretty easy bus ride from Santiago to Porto.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.