• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portugues Interior

pinewport

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to set off Sept 18th 2012 from St Pieds
I have plans to do a section of this route next month (June 2018) from Peso de Pegua (where the railway line crosses) to Ourense. I shall be alone. My issue is footwear. I don't want to bring my big clodhopping boots. I have some decent walking sandals (which I used for the Camino Portugues) and some decent walking trainers with no ankle support. How rough is the terrain? Do I need to buy some lightweight boots? Any advice gratefully received.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am palnning on walking CPI from Viseu at the begining of June. Not taking my Salomon boots with me: last Apr it was so hot walking in them on Portugues Central from Porto that I walked most of the way in my old no name city walking shoes instead. Don't have any decent footwear for this trip yet but planning on walking in trail runners/sandals. I wonder if the route is marked, less worried about the terrain.

I haven't walked it (yet) but I've read today that three albergues have closed down. do check in advance as sometimes the albergues are the only accommodation options on the entire stage(s)!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I haven't walked it (yet) but I've read today that three albergues have closed down. do check in advance as sometimes the albergues are the only accommodation options on the entire stage(s)!
It seems like I might be missing some important websites/resources on CPI. Checked www.urcamino.com but it only says that in Viseu albergue do Fontelou is closed but the 14th Infantry Regiment hosts instead. And I've heard reports that albergue in Vila Real was closed in Nov/Dec but not sure if it reopened again. Could you please advice which ones are closed if you still remember/the source is still available. Thanks!

I have plans to do a section of this route next month (June 2018) from Peso de Pegua (where the railway line crosses) to Ourense. I shall be alone. My issue is footwear. I don't want to bring my big clodhopping boots. I have some decent walking sandals (which I used for the Camino Portugues) and some decent walking trainers with no ankle support. How rough is the terrain? Do I need to buy some lightweight boots? Any advice gratefully received.

You may try the eco track from Peso da Régua to Vila Real (27 kms) an alternative more friendly to walk, although less populated with less water points and bars. It is a path along a deactivated train line along the river Corgo (old Corgo line). The rails where removed some years ago and now is ideal for cycling and walking.

You may try the eco track from Peso da Régua to Vila Real (27 kms) an alternative more friendly to walk, although less populated with less water points and bars. It is a path along a deactivated train line along the river Corgo (old Corgo line). The rails where removed some years ago and now is ideal for cycling and walking.

Now, for great information I advise you to check wikiloc.com and search for the user "papaleguas". There you will find all the stages with great descriptions in portuguese, lots of photos and GPS info. If you are not familiar with the portuguese language you may use one of several online translators. That user walked the way in the Autumn of 2017.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It looks like excellent information, thankyou very much. I shall study it over the next few days.

It seems like I might be missing some important websites/resources on CPI. Checked www.urcamino.com but it only says that in Viseu albergue do Fontelou is closed but the 14th Infantry Regiment hosts instead. And I've heard reports that albergue in Vila Real was closed in Nov/Dec but not sure if it reopened again. Could you please advice which ones are closed if you still remember/the source is still available. Thanks!

pilgrim albergue in viseu has been running for at least a year now (look at wikiloc tracks starting there). viseu also has a youth hostel a bit closer to the old town and the route.

this is a 2017 thread about albergues on CPI: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/caminho-portugues-interior-albergue.47804/

this is a pdf of CPI with info on albergues (but it doesn't say which year): http://www.walkingportugal.com/z_di...o_portugues_interior_de_santiago_folheto2.pdf

here is a link to a (partly) description of CPI I made last year: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/unfinished-description-of-cpi.50100/

Now, for great information I advise you to check wikiloc.com and search for the user "papaleguas". There you will find all the stages with great descriptions in portuguese, lots of photos and GPS info. If you are not familiar with the portuguese language you may use one of several online translators. That user walked the way in the Autumn of 2017.

brilliant!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am palnning on walking CPI from Viseu at the begining of June. Not taking my Salomon boots with me: last Apr it was so hot walking in them on Portugues Central from Porto that I walked most of the way in my old no name city walking shoes instead. Don't have any decent footwear for this trip yet but planning on walking in trail runners/sandals. I wonder if the route is marked, less worried about the terrain.
You'll be two weeks ahead of me, if you can keep the thread updated. Enjoy the walk. I know what you mean, I also walked most of the Portugese in sandals after getting shin splints on Frances dues to Gortex lined boots.

You'll be two weeks ahead of me, if you can keep the thread updated. Enjoy the walk. I know what you mean, I also walked most of the Portugese in sandals after getting shin splints on Frances dues to Gortex lined boots.
Ah, I think I won't of much help here with the updates in June as will walk with no gadgets, no internet or GPS on me. Hope that'll work out somehow.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Started today in P de Regua. Steep climb for a few kms. Well signposted to the top and then some yellow arrows but at times not very obvious (unless I was off route). All on roads. Stopped at Hotel Oasis in Santa Maria da Penaguiao. €25 per night.

Started today in P de Regua. Steep climb for a few kms. Well signposted to the top and then some yellow arrows but at times not very obvious (unless I was off route). All on roads. Stopped at Hotel Oasis in Santa Maria da Penaguiao. €25 per night.
There is an alternative from Peso da Regua to Vila Real 27 kms walking the deactivated Corgo train line along the river Corgo. No rails anymore, now is great for cycling and walking with great views. This track is about 70 kms long and ends in Chaves. Bom Caminho.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back