A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Portuguese central way

Camino(s) past & future
Camino France's (2016) Portuguese 2017
Last year I walked from SJPP to Santiago and found Sarria onwards crowded and a little overwhelming. Is the Portuguese central quieter and especially the last 100ks ?

Advertisment

fmsoares

Camino(s) past & future
Caminho Português Variante Espiritual, May 15-22, 2016
Yes! You can start in Valenca do Minhon in Portugal and walk across the bridge /border into Tui, Spain. Then it's pretty much straight up to Santiago (Valenca, Tui, Porino, Redondela, Pontevedra, Caldas, Padron, Santiago). It's 115 km. Otherwise you can start in Tui. There is a book here for sale on the Portuguese Camino. Buen Camino/Ultreia

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016)
Future (God-willing): Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo (2018)
Much quieter. Even the last hundred.

sulu

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Ronces-SdC (03-04/10);Oporto-SdC (10/2011); VdlP via Portugal 03/04 2012/2013;Part Invierno 2012; Toulouse to Sarrance 2012; Ingles to Muxia June 2013 Cami Catala and Aragones 2014; El Salvador & Primitivo 2014; Camino de Madrid 2016; Levante 2015,2017
Last year I walked from SJPP to Santiago and found Sarria onwards crowded and a little overwhelming. Is the Portuguese central quieter and especially the last 100ks ?
Actually there are several routes in Portugal and the route that they describe as 'central' goes up the middle of Portugal and through Chaves to Verin then joins one of the Sanabres variants, either the low route to Allariz or up to Laza. I did Chaves to Verin and up to Laza and didn't see a soul until Ourense but it would be different in summer. On the other hand for that central route the last 100k would be from Ourense!

Mike Savage

So many friends to meet . . . so little time
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés,Inglés
Muxia/Finisterre
Português Coastal
Português Central
Sanabrés
Last year in September coming in to Santiago on the Portuguese route was very quiet. It did not even compare to the previous year coming in to Santiago on the Francés. The walk in to the city was nicer and shorter too.

Bom Caminho!

Advertisment

MarcelWals

April 2018...Camino Portugues...#2
Camino(s) past & future
October 2016: Camino Frances
Richard,

What period are you gonna do the Camino Portugues?

Marcel

MarcelWals

April 2018...Camino Portugues...#2
Camino(s) past & future
October 2016: Camino Frances
Ok Richard,
I am just reading your post about it....

Thnx

Marcel

Most read today

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • March

Votes: 18 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 68 16.9%
  • May

Votes: 106 26.4%
  • June