• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Possible last minute-ish Camino Portugues September/October this year

HumanistHiker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues September-October 2023
I must have forgotten how much my feet ached when I walked the Hadrian's Wall trail in 2021 as I'm getting itchy feet for a Camino trip. (Family members saying "What's next, Santiago?" after I finished Hadrians Wall must have planted the idea in my head).

So why a Camino when I’m not religious? I’ve never been to Portugal, so a long walk would be a good way to discover somewhere new. I’m drawn by the idea of walking the same route trodden by pilgrims for hundreds of years. I love the idea of making progress from A to B across a country (or 2 in this case) to a grand destination, collecting the little passport/credencial stamps along the way.

I love solo travel (for the freedom & wonderful encounters with other people you get when voyaging alone). Having initially dismissed as "hippie nonsense" the idea referred to by many adventure travel writers that "the road will provide" I've had enough timely morale boosting moments on solo European motorcycle tours, to conclude that serendipity smiles on the well prepared solo traveller. I have a feeling that the Camino may well deliver.

As a control freak who normally pre-books every aspect of a trip, part of me wonders whether the Camino might provide the perfect opportunity to try and let go, go with the flow, and not pre-book everything. The inner romantic thinks carrying my own kit and seeing where I get to each day would be the truest way to do the Camino.

The inner practical pessimist remembers how glad I was of baggage transport services on my Hadrians Wall hike, how I wouldn’t want to find myself without somewhere to stay and having to walk another 10km to the next town in the hope of finding a bed for the night. My little legs are good for 20km a day but 25km days were not fun. As a snorer-intolerant snorer myself, I would want to stay in a single room in a hotel or guesthouse, not a dormitory in an albergue. I'd need to book a return flight from Spain so the trip couldn't be truly open ended which would limit how many short days/days off I could afford to take

I haven’t got a definite date for a Camino trip but am hoping I might have an opportunity in September or October this year, depending on work, which doesn’t give me long to prepare.

If September/October are a go, how practical would it be to wing it (and not book every night of a trek)? Is this busy season on the Camino Portugues so I’d need to pre-book every night to be sure of having a bed (especially a non-dormitory bed) for every night?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
While there is no “truest” way to complete a Camino, it may be that there is a “best for you this time”.
I would really encourage you to wing it just for the experience. Understanding you need to book a return flight, would you think about plotting out how many days it would take for you to do it at a rate of only 10-15km/day - then if you want to walk farther you’ll just end up with spare days at the end. If that happens you can choose what to do with them later - walk out to Fistera/Muxia, do the Inglés, book in to a monastery for a silent retreat, hang around Santiago….

I must have forgotten how much my feet ached when I walked the Hadrian's Wall trail in 2021 as I'm getting itchy feet for a Camino trip. (Family members saying "What's next, Santiago?" after I finished Hadrians Wall must have planted the idea in my head).

So why a Camino when I’m not religious? I’ve never been to Portugal, so a long walk would be a good way to discover somewhere new. I’m drawn by the idea of walking the same route trodden by pilgrims for hundreds of years. I love the idea of making progress from A to B across a country (or 2 in this case) to a grand destination, collecting the little passport/credencial stamps along the way.

I love solo travel (for the freedom & wonderful encounters with other people you get when voyaging alone). Having initially dismissed as "hippie nonsense" the idea referred to by many adventure travel writers that "the road will provide" I've had enough timely morale boosting moments on solo European motorcycle tours, to conclude that serendipity smiles on the well prepared solo traveller. I have a feeling that the Camino may well deliver.

As a control freak who normally pre-books every aspect of a trip, part of me wonders whether the Camino might provide the perfect opportunity to try and let go, go with the flow, and not pre-book everything. The inner romantic thinks carrying my own kit and seeing where I get to each day would be the truest way to do the Camino.

The inner practical pessimist remembers how glad I was of baggage transport services on my Hadrians Wall hike, how I wouldn’t want to find myself without somewhere to stay and having to walk another 10km to the next town in the hope of finding a bed for the night. My little legs are good for 20km a day but 25km days were not fun. As a snorer-intolerant snorer myself, I would want to stay in a single room in a hotel or guesthouse, not a dormitory in an albergue. I'd need to book a return flight from Spain so the trip couldn't be truly open ended which would limit how many short days/days off I could afford to take

I haven’t got a definite date for a Camino trip but am hoping I might have an opportunity in September or October this year, depending on work, which doesn’t give me long to prepare.

If September/October are a go, how practical would it be to wing it (and not book every night of a trek)? Is this busy season on the Camino Portugues so I’d need to pre-book every night to be sure of having a bed (especially a non-dormitory bed) for every night?
I did the Portugues from Porto in the first half of October 2018. I was staying in albergues, so I'm not sure how applicable this is to someone staying in private rooms. I didn't have to book ahead except for Casa da Fernanda.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi! I walked Coastal ,Senda Littoral and Espiritual Variant from Porto to Santiago Sept 17th to Oct 13th 2021!
I had private rooms and bathroom every night booked in advance,but there were still rooms available wherever i stayed except one.
The weather was great 21-27 C with one heavy rain day;but that was two years ago no guarantees this year.
The numbers of Pilgrims really increased for the last 100km from Vigo.
There were also coach loads of tourists around when i walked from Pontevedra and again in Combarro!
Buen Camino
Have a great walk
Woody

Hi there! Your post could have been written by me! I am in exactly the same situation, feeling a bit anxious but am going for it. My flight dates need to be booked. Apart from that I am hoping to be able to wing it all, day by day. Walking as much as I can enjoy and hope to find a bed each night, in a dorm is fine for me. I may even jump on a bus or train for some stretches as I'm not sure I want to do more than 15kms per day. I've never done the Camino nor been to Spain or Portugal before. See you along The Way!

Walked it towards the end of October 2021 with no reservations except for Casa Fernanda. Pilgrim traffic definitely tapers off as the month goes on and we had very few folks in the albergues. No need to prebook unless you really need something specific.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you all for your helpful replies.

In response to @Kiwi-family, if the Portuguese Coastal/Littoral route from Porto to Santiago is 280km then at 20km a day, I'd need a fortnight, only 10 km a day I'd need 4 weeks, and at 15 km a day, that would be around 3 weeks.

Realistically, I'm unlikely to be able to spare more than 3 weeks if the trip is this year.

That should give me a few days spare if I manage 20 km a day, but allow for shorter days if needed (either due to aching feet or lack of accommodation availability at a proposed destination so having to stop early to be sure of a bed for the night).

If I find I can't take as much as 3 weeks off maybe the answer is to just do the last 100km (from Tui to Santiago) and either allow 2 weeks (no pre-booking) or about 10 days (and pre-book to be sure of completing the trip).

I'm now trying to put together a spreadsheet of distances so that rather than focussing on official/popular daily stages, I create my own 20km max stages to see what that would mean in terms of accommodation options. If it turns out that many of my stage ends have very limited options, I'd then pre-book for those nights, while winging it on other days.

I'd then have to decide whether to bring a sheet sleeping bag, in case I wind up in snorer-ville in an albergue one night.

Apart from the municipal albergues (which I understand don't do pre-booking or work with luggage transfer services) could I have luggage transported from pretty much any accommodation on the Camino or would I need to stick to the Central not Coastal or Littoral routes to be sure of that being an option if on any day I decide I've had enough lugging a heavy backpack?

Hi! I walked Coastal ,Senda Littoral and Espiritual Variant from Porto to Santiago Sept 17th to Oct 13th 2021!
I had private rooms and bathroom every night booked in advance,but there were still rooms available wherever i stayed except one.
The weather was great 21-27 C with one heavy rain day;but that was two years ago no guarantees this year.
The numbers of Pilgrims really increased for the last 100km from Vigo.
There were also coach loads of tourists around when i walked from Pontevedra and again in Combarro!
Buen Camino
Have a great walk
Woody
Hi Woody - we are doing the Vigo route this Sept. I notice that a couple of the hotels I booked have a swimming pool. Do you think it's worth taking swimsuits based on your experience with the weather?

Hi Woody - we are doing the Vigo route this Sept. I notice that a couple of the hotels I booked have a swimming pool. Do you think it's worth taking swimsuits based on your experience with the weather?
Hi BarbC!
Depends if it's a heated pool and what you consider comfortable i would imagine.

I stayed at only one place in Portugal on the way up to Galicia with a pool ; the pool was unheated and for me shout out cold.(cooler nights and morning chill didn't give it time to heat up)

But then that's no different to going in the sea.

I would imagine a bikini is no more heavier than a extra set of undies! (or take undies that look like they could be a costume would save the weight;dual purpose is the way to go)
Being male i wore my boxers; plus i was the only guest using the villa pool so no one noticed.

It's not like lugging a 1kg laptop just in case you want to use it!
I hope this helps although i suppose the answer is a tad ambiguous as not a definitive response :)
Have a great walk
Buen Camino
Woody

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi BarbC!
Depends if it's a heated pool and what you consider comfortable i would imagine.

I stayed at only one place in Portugal on the way up to Galicia with a pool ; the pool was unheated and for me shout out cold.(cooler nights and morning chill didn't give it time to heat up)

But then that's no different to going in the sea.

I would imagine a bikini is no more heavier than a extra set of undies! (or take undies that look like they could be a costume would save the weight;dual purpose is the way to go)
Being male i wore my boxers; plus i was the only guest using the villa pool so no one noticed.

It's not like lugging a 1kg laptop just in case you want to use it!
I hope this helps although i suppose the answer is a tad ambiguous as not a definitive response :)
Have a great walk
Buen Camino
Woody
No - not ambiguous at all - I figured the pools won't be heated - and I like mine at 83 minimum - but I will be prepared just in case we feel like some refreshing swims. Thanks

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

In response to @Kiwi-family, if the Portuguese Coastal/Littoral route from Porto to Santiago is 280km then at 20km a day, I'd need a fortnight, only 10 km a day I'd need 4 weeks, and at 15 km a day, that would be around 3 weeks.

Realistically, I'm unlikely to be able to spare more than 3 weeks if the trip is this year.

That should give me a few days spare if I manage 20 km a day, but allow for shorter days if needed (either due to aching feet or lack of accommodation availability at a proposed destination so having to stop early to be sure of a bed for the night).

If I find I can't take as much as 3 weeks off maybe the answer is to just do the last 100km (from Tui to Santiago) and either allow 2 weeks (no pre-booking) or about 10 days (and pre-book to be sure of completing the trip).

I'm now trying to put together a spreadsheet of distances so that rather than focussing on official/popular daily stages, I create my own 20km max stages to see what that would mean in terms of accommodation options. If it turns out that many of my stage ends have very limited options, I'd then pre-book for those nights, while winging it on other days.

I'd then have to decide whether to bring a sheet sleeping bag, in case I wind up in snorer-ville in an albergue one night.

Apart from the municipal albergues (which I understand don't do pre-booking or work with luggage transfer services) could I have luggage transported from pretty much any accommodation on the Camino or would I need to stick to the Central not Coastal or Littoral routes to be sure of that being an option if on any day I decide I've had enough lugging a heavy backpack?
Hi
we are doing our first walk in Sept. and in kinda the same boat - I like to plan and we want hotels as our accommodations and don't want to carry everything - and have limited time. So we are flying to Porto for a few days vacation - then taking the train to Vigo to start the last 100KM to Santiago - so the towns will be in Galicia, Spain. Doing 6 days with 1 rest day on the 3rd day - so 5 walking days. Our shortest day is 15K and the last day is 25K. I have arranged bag transport for each day. We are in our late 60's and this is our first attempt - I feel that it's do-able unless something unforeseen occurs but taking care of some of the details makes us more comfortable. Let me know if you want any details on our route etc. Cheers!

Hi @BarbC, I had started to think about doing exactly what you're planning - fly to Porto for a couple of days to experience the city (maybe even see if I can persuade my husband to join me for that bit) then take a bus or train north and hike the last 100km. If you could send me your route details that would be fantastic.

One thing starting to put me off winging it & not pre-booking is that I get the impression those winging it tend to leave before dawn to arrive lunchtime when municipal albergues open to bag a bed for the night & then spend the afternoon sitting around waiting for their just washed one spare pair of socks & T-shirt to dry.

When I'm on tour, I'd rather hit the road around 08.30, have a more leisurely pace and arrive at my accommodation at e.g. 4.30 pm. This suggests I may be better pre booking if otherwise the early birds would have bagged all the beds.

My other thought is that if luggage transport is around 7-8 Euros a day, for a 10-15 day trek that would still be cheaper for me than buying a suitable 30-35 litre lightweight hiking backpack. I could send ahead my trusty Tatonka flight bag & just carry the daypack I used on Hadrian's Wall.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi
we are doing our first walk in Sept. and in kinda the same boat - I like to plan and we want hotels as our accommodations and don't want to carry everything - and have limited time. So we are flying to Porto for a few days vacation - then taking the train to Vigo to start the last 100KM to Santiago - so the towns will be in Galicia, Spain. Doing 6 days with 1 rest day on the 3rd day - so 5 walking days. Our shortest day is 15K and the last day is 25K. I have arranged bag transport for each day. We are in our late 60's and this is our first attempt - I feel that it's do-able unless something unforeseen occurs but taking care of some of the details makes us more comfortable. Let me know if you want any details on our route etc. Cheers!
Hi BarbC!
You will be fine;don't get hung up on the daily distances if you are relatively fit .
Even the longest day just walk and split the day stop for a second breakfast, coffee, then some lunch,then afternoon coffee :) and before you know it you will be at your destination!
If you've booked and your running late just let the Hotel know.
Porto is defo a must see best city i have stayed in over 50 years; i will go back the Portuguese people were wonderful and friendly.
The Coastal was my first and i was full of doubts like you and so many more but it is just a long walk not Everest:)
I got lost one day meant to be 21km day ended up walking 39km at 68 (my assistive tech packed up).
A good nights sleep and electrolytes i was good to go!
Have the best time
Buen Camino
Woody

Hi @BarbC, I had started to think about doing exactly what you're planning - fly to Porto for a couple of days to experience the city (maybe even see if I can persuade my husband to join me for that bit) then take a bus or train north and hike the last 100km. If you could send me your route details that would be fantastic.

One thing starting to put me off winging it & not pre-booking is that I get the impression those winging it tend to leave before dawn to arrive lunchtime when municipal albergues open to bag a bed for the night & then spend the afternoon sitting around waiting for their just washed one spare pair of socks & T-shirt to dry.

When I'm on tour, I'd rather hit the road around 08.30, have a more leisurely pace and arrive at my accommodation at e.g. 4.30 pm. This suggests I may be better pre booking if otherwise the early birds would have bagged all the beds.

My other thought is that if luggage transport is around 7-8 Euros a day, for a 10-15 day trek that would still be cheaper for me than buying a suitable 30-35 litre lightweight hiking backpack. I could send ahead my trusty Tatonka flight bag & just carry the daypack I used on Hadrian's Wall.
Hi again - here is our route

Vigo to Redondela - 15k
Redondela to Pontevedra - 20k
rest day in Pontevedra - I heard it was worth spending extra time
Pontevedra to Calais de Reis - 22k
Calais de Reis to Padron - 18k
Padron to Santiago - 25k

we are using CaminoFacil for transport - this route cost me 66Euros for 2 bags with a 20k limit which is more than many companies allow.
Bags have to be ready for pick up at 8:00 so we plan on leaving around 8 and with stops for breakfast and lunch etc. we feel we can do the shorter days by 2:00 hopefully to give us some time for checking out the towns. Our pace is around 4k per hour here - and that's in the heat.

Yay! My September-October Portuguese Camino plan looks like it's going to happen, and with enough time to do Porto to Santiago.

Presumably from a weather perspective I'm better off heading out there as early as I can (circa 27-28 September to start) rather than leaving it later (e.g. 9-10 October) to start? I don't want searing heat, but I'd rather not have 2 1/2 solid weeks of lashing rain and howling gales.

Current thinking is to take the Littoral to Vila do Conde, and then head to the Central, using the river route on stingynomads.com to cut across (as I understand there aren't many markers as if the authorities are trying to discourage hikers from making the switch).

I will pre-book accommodation (to avoid the rise before dawn, and mad scramble to be at lodgings by 1-2pm when they open, even if the latter is more common on the Frances than the Portugues).

I will generally be looking at individual rooms not albergue accommodation, though having read about Casa Fernanda, would like to book there if there's space.

Does Casa Fernanda supply sheets, pillow cases & blankets? I was hoping to get away without bringing a sheet sleeping bag or sleeping bag proper.

How do I contact Casa Fernanda to book? Is there an e-mail address or just the phone number that's on Gronze.com? (If phone, I may need to call on my Brazilian colleague to phone and book as I don't speak Portuguese! If Fernanda speaks a bit of Spanish I could probably book in Spanish)

Does anyone have a contact e-mail or phone number for Casa Mattos at Sao Pedro de Rates?

Now heading out to an outdoor gear shop to try some trail shoes (if the consensus is that my hiking boots would be overkill on the Portugues).

Yay! My September-October Portuguese Camino plan looks like it's going to happen, and with enough time to do Porto to Santiago.

Presumably from a weather perspective I'm better off heading out there as early as I can (circa 27-28 September to start) rather than leaving it later (e.g. 9-10 October) to start? I don't want searing heat, but I'd rather not have 2 1/2 solid weeks of lashing rain and howling gales.

Current thinking is to take the Littoral to Vila do Conde, and then head to the Central, using the river route on stingynomads.com to cut across (as I understand there aren't many markers as if the authorities are trying to discourage hikers from making the switch).

I will pre-book accommodation (to avoid the rise before dawn, and mad scramble to be at lodgings by 1-2pm when they open, even if the latter is more common on the Frances than the Portugues).

I will generally be looking at individual rooms not albergue accommodation, though having read about Casa Fernanda, would like to book there if there's space.

Does Casa Fernanda supply sheets, pillow cases & blankets? I was hoping to get away without bringing a sheet sleeping bag or sleeping bag proper.

How do I contact Casa Fernanda to book? Is there an e-mail address or just the phone number that's on Gronze.com? (If phone, I may need to call on my Brazilian colleague to phone and book as I don't speak Portuguese! If Fernanda speaks a bit of Spanish I could probably book in Spanish)

Does anyone have a contact e-mail or phone number for Casa Mattos at Sao Pedro de Rates?

Now heading out to an outdoor gear shop to try some trail shoes (if the consensus is that my hiking boots would be overkill on the Portugues).
Awesome. I’ll be heading out at the same time. What sort of temperatures do you think we will be in for?

@vanessaptwilson - very good question, I haven't a clue! I've never been to Portugal. I will go prepared for anything from scorching Indian summer weather to horizontal rain and howling gales. I'm hoping that it will be pleasantly warm (20 ish Celsius) and mostly sunny, but I can't believe that in 2 1/2 weeks in the far west of Europe in October, I won't be rained on once, so will be taking waterproofs.

@vanessaptwilson - very good question, I haven't a clue! I've never been to Portugal. I will go prepared for anything from scorching Indian summer weather to horizontal rain and howling gales. I'm hoping that it will be pleasantly warm (20 ish Celsius) and mostly sunny, but I can't believe that in 2 1/2 weeks in the far west of Europe in October, I won't be rained on once, so will be taking waterproofs.
hehehe seems wise to be taking the waterproofs. I'm aiming for a 6kg max loaded pack so Im gonna have to pack smart.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We will leave US approx. Oct 1st since we fly standby. I think the first 2 weeks of October from Porto make sense, also easier to get beds. some Alberques will close Oct 15th?

Last edited:

Hey, dear pilgrims.
I am about to have the same dates :)
Starting on Sat, September 30 from Porto, but will be there 1-2 days earlier to discover a city and get my pilgrim passport. So if anyone is there on Sept 29, we can do dinner together.

About weather - I am taking 3 layers: t-shirt, long sleeve and fleece. Well, rain poncho as well though I am praying about 2 weeks no rain 🤞🏻

Are you going to have your own sleeping bags? Or should I be sure there will be blankets in albergues? 👀

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @MilaChernii, I'm afraid I won't be in Porto on 29 September. All being well I'll be in Vila do Conde. If you're a faster walker than me or doing more miles each day, maybe our paths will cross later on further up the camino.

Bom caminho!

May see some of you out there! I'll start in Porto on Oct 3rd or 4th. I'm not sure how I'll do walking this time, as I'm a 'survivor' and just crash on occasion, but I've convinced myself I can and will be walking the Camino again! Looking forward. Starting with the Litoral route, then had rough plans to walk the coastal, but may change my mind and do the central. I have a place on the Oregon Coast, and I know what it's like when it rains on the coastline!

@CaminoDebrita - I hope you are able to enjoy your Camino, even if it's not a Camino as you know it due to health/fitnes reasons. I'm a pretty slow walker so if you decide do Uber/bus to leapfrog to some stages on the Central, if you have more rest days, maybe our paths will cross somewhere on the Central. All being well I arrive in Santiago on 13th October. Buon Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Absolutely fantastic! Yes, I will either start walking on the third or fourth depending on how I’m feeling. I fly from Madrid back to the USA on the 23rd, so I think I’ve got plenty of great Walking days available! I planned about 17 days for being on Camino Porto. I think that’s plenty of time. So, I will be carrying a navy, blue osprey, and you know my name! Say hi if you think you see me! Lol!

Hi there! Your post could have been written by me! I am in exactly the same situation, feeling a bit anxious but am going for it. My flight dates need to be booked. Apart from that I am hoping to be able to wing it all, day by day. Walking as much as I can enjoy and hope to find a bed each night, in a dorm is fine for me. I may even jump on a bus or train for some stretches as I'm not sure I want to do more than 15kms per day. I've never done the Camino nor been to Spain or Portugal before. See you along The Way!
Question- do you mean that we can take a bus if we want to the next stage in case you need it? I’m just afraid to be alone at night and still kms to walk to the next stage. Thanks for the recommendations and tips

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back