• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post Camino blues

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
Flew back last Monday. Had really mixed emotions at airport after Frances and Muxia. Spent a lot of time catching up with friends and family, but you know what? I was often there with them but not there if you know what I mean. I wanted to tell everyone everything. At times I positively gushed out stories, but at other times I had comments that I was very quite/that I seemed pensive. Still want to be back walking, even though my knee hurts a little. Everything is just a little too much trouble to get around to. Too confused to at the moment to post anything worth sharing (if anything I ever post is anyway). Just one thing though I have added something to my prayers:-
"Please keep my family friends, fellow pilgrims and myself free from injury, in good health both physically and mentally. And for those not so may they recover as best they can."
allan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Know the feeling Allan, my wife eventually told me to stop starting sentences with "when I was on the Camino". Its hard to settle but it does come and you can start planning the next one. :D :D

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Totally understand you Allan,
I check my email constantly for messages from my Camino buddies. I'm sure my family are fed up with me talking about my time in Spain. I am back three weeks now and wish I was back there.
I like your prayer by the way.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Know exactly how you are feeling Alan: it took me months to shake off my 'blues' but planning my next trip has helped. Unfortunately for my family and friends it has gone from 'I did this....', 'I did that....' to 'I am going to do this...', 'I am going to do that...' my much better half is not at all amused!! :D :D

Oh by the way...have you ever played professional snooker??? :) :)

It took three caminos to satisfy my longing.
Now I've switched other Self-Propelled holidays.
2011 - 300 km bike ride on an old railway that has been turned into a trail.
2012 - 115 km canoe trip
2013 - 75 km wilderness hike on west coast of Canada. This one frightens me. I've done it before, but now I'm 59 years old and out of shape.

I still may go back to Spain to walk Camino de Norte. It's addictive.

Snooker? Have I missed something? I have racked my brains since I red that. Is it my cue to say something colourful? Sorry, I'm giving it a rest now.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Madidi said:
Know exactly how you are feeling Alan: it took me months to shake off my 'blues' but planning my next trip has helped. Unfortunately for my family and friends it has gone from 'I did this....', 'I did that....' to 'I am going to do this...', 'I am going to do that...' my much better half is not at all amused!! :D :D

Oh by the way...have you ever played professional snooker??? :) :)
I think Madidi has Denis Taylor in mind, well now that you mention it! !!! :D :D

I thought he might come into it. A careful look at my profile shows England not Ireland!
I think this just shows how a thread can lose it's way. Come to think of it I haven't got lost once since back! (Though I have "been a little lost") Haha

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My son, Will, and I returned to Arizona July 5. We walked from SJPP May 30 and finished in Santiago June 30. I, too, find myself on the Forum, looking over my notes and pictures, connecting with people here to tell my stories. One thing that I find curious on the Forum and on the Camino is everyone wanting to know when you are returning or if you are returning as if one Camino isn't good enough. I find I want to think about and piece together this Camino because it was this particular time I saw what I did and met who I did. It strikes me as a bit disrespectful of my journey to begin thinking of another. I met a lady on the plane home who said to open the window of your trip to share with others so they may learn something. Her point was to tell your stories in order to process your Camino. If people get tired of hearing them, write them down or find a stranger who wants to listen. Because the Camino isn't a vacation but a pilgrimage and you are gone for such a long time, it takes a long time to process. My brother said the government shrinks who counsel agents who have lived overseas for an extended period of time in a culture unfamiliar, to expect to have difficulties adjusting for awhile. I'm so proud of our accomplishment and am enjoying reliving the experience without trying too hard to figure out what it all means.

Instead of starting a new thread, I remembered the title of this one from months ago and searched for it.

I have made a recent move to New Zealand from the US and was just walking around my new town, enjoying the parade that is happening down the main street. A group of Scottish bagpipe players came down the street, and BOOM! Tears in my eyes! It took me a minute to figure out why- it completely hit me out of nowhere- and I realized it actually reminded me of Santiago. There was a man that would play bagpipes in an archway near the cathedral all the time...

I am constantly thinking about the Camino and waiting to plan when I can do it again. I feel like I am aching for something familiar in the midst of this move- and isn't it funny that I am longing for something I did once, over a year ago, for 32 days, instead of maybe...home? It seems like almost everything I see these days reminds me of something along the Way. I dreamed the other night that I walked out of my front door and onto the Camino, telling people "I just realized I'm supposed to go with you" when they were getting ready to walk.

The Camino is calling, that's for sure.

Hi Megan,

One day you'll go back, just like me. Someday, somehow. I've only been off the Camino 44 days now and I'm dreaming of the time when I will return. Enjoy your new home, I'm sure New Zealand is an amazing place to explore.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The only sure-fire cure for the "Camino Blues" is to do it again. However, time and money being finite, I recommend spending your time "between Caminos," as I refer to my time at home; learning more, participating in this forum, helping others who would like to do a Camino. I also have been doing a fair amount of reading about the Camino. However, having been there and done that I am not concentrating on books that tell one "how to do it." There are a ton of books out there.

I seriously thought of writing a book of my experiences and perceptions. Then I realized that what the world did not need was another "look at me" book. My Camino is a private, personal experience. I share it only with those who ask questions. Then the dam breaks... ;)

We know how you feel...you return home, sometimes reluctantly, and no one around you has changed. You are more or less expected to re-assimilate into the same society you left, as though you never left, or you just returned from a customary holiday to the sea shore or some typical tourist destination. It does not fit.

I like to use the metaphor of a stone tossed into a placid pond. The ripples made by the stone expand in concentric circles - outwards. The ripples dissipate eventually and the pond returns to it's placid state. Was the stone ever there? I also use this metaphor for an individual life...how to make a difference. The prescription is simple. Do a Camino. Repeat as necessary...

Yet the Camino has profoundly affected me/you. It is not like going on a "holiday" for a month. What you did is HUGE. It has historical connections that go back over a thousand years. You experienced things that only a miniscule number of people, when viewed against the number of people who have lived on earth over the past 1,300 years or so, have seen and experienced. Trying to encapsulate that experience as well as the deep, profound and life-altering affect your Camino had on you is not easily done.

I found that people, though interested, were only "so" interested. After 15 minutes or so, their attention waivered and their eyes glazed over. I sensed that I was being tiresome. THAT is why I keep returning to this forum. I found the fastest way to clear a room of relatives or friens was to ask if anyone wanted to see my Camino pictures.

Remember, we are the happy travelers, the privileged pilgrims who share the experience. We were there, we saw, felt, tasted and smelled it. We GOT it. It GOT us. It is our solemn experience to hold in our hearts and souls, to share with those who were also there, or who are affected by our affectation.

The rest of the world cannot relate. They may try. But, until they have actually done a Camino, they cannot understand the depth and scope of the changes it makes in a person. I would further opine that someone who has done a Camino, and who did not come away profoundly affected, was simply not paying attention, or was wearing headphones and listening to music the whole way. I mean, how could you be paying attention and NOT be affected to the core of your being?o_O

In some ways, it is like being a soldier in combat. World-wide, there are millions of soldiers, but few have ever been in active combat and in fear for their lives. Among those soldiers - the combat veterans - there is a similar, albeit different sort of bond. Until you've experienced the tastes, smells, sounds, and stress of combat, you cannot possibly relate to someone who had the experience. I speak from experience, however limited. The experience of the Camino was the closest, related set of feelings, albeit much more positive and wholesome than the other. It also smells much better...;)

The friendships, travails, camaraderie, and shared experiences are replicated. Only the intensity of the experience - traumatic versus peaceful - separates the two. It is the DEPTH of feeling that I am trying to correlate. If any of you in the forum community have had the prior, unique experience of serving in combat, I think you will understand.

For the majority of you who have not had this rather dubious pleasure, let me just say that the Camino is the best experience I have ever had among like minded individuals - in my life (I am 60)! I was desolate when I returned home, fell into a depression, and had to work for months to get out of it. It remains a daily effort. (Oh, I should be very truthful and state that I suffer from a lifetime of moderate depression that manifests itself as anhedonia and dysthymia. I also have PTSD and anxiety. So the Camino was HIGHLY theraputic for me.)

My path to sanity is paved with plans for my next Camino. I have read, researched, shopped, and tested gear, clothing, alternative packing strategies and perhaps a new rucksack. Currently, I am waiting for spring train schedules to be posted online, so I can start researching "better" routes to St. Jean Pied de Port, and from Santiago. I have the air portion sorted. I am using an open jaw into Paris from Washington, DC, and returning from Madrid. After January, I will make hard reservations.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent. I needed it today. Another long-time former colleague passed and the funeral was yesterday. I NEED my Camino.

I do hope this helps someone, somewhere better understand why many of us do what we do, and how we feel about it.

The other day my friend who can see the Madrid Camino from her window sent me a message that she had just seen from her lounge window 7 pilgrims walking past. She, like many of us is waiting to start her next walk next year and I am sure having yellow arrows all thriough her town doesn't help a lot!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My son, Will, and I returned to Arizona July 5. We walked from SJPP May 30 and finished in Santiago June 30. I, too, find myself on the Forum, looking over my notes and pictures, connecting with people here to tell my stories. One thing that I find curious on the Forum and on the Camino is everyone wanting to know when you are returning or if you are returning as if one Camino isn't good enough. I find I want to think about and piece together this Camino because it was this particular time I saw what I did and met who I did. It strikes me as a bit disrespectful of my journey to begin thinking of another. I met a lady on the plane home who said to open the window of your trip to share with others so they may learn something. Her point was to tell your stories in order to process your Camino. If people get tired of hearing them, write them down or find a stranger who wants to listen. Because the Camino isn't a vacation but a pilgrimage and you are gone for such a long time, it takes a long time to process. My brother said the government shrinks who counsel agents who have lived overseas for an extended period of time in a culture unfamiliar, to expect to have difficulties adjusting for awhile. I'm so proud of our accomplishment and am enjoying reliving the experience without trying too hard to figure out what it all means.
It's well over a month since I've returned. I still find myself waking up at night and getting a "new" revelation from something that happened along the way. I grew a beard (only because the razor and shaving cream weighed 4 oz!) and said I'd shave it off when I finally felt "back home". I don't particularly want to wear a beard and am now wondering what happens if that "back home" feeling never appears!

t2andreo, thank you for sharing your thoughts. It captures the esssence of what most of us feel like after the Camino. I reached Santiago on July 9th this year after my 30 days from St Jean Pied de Port. I got very surprised looks at home later when people asked me if I was glad I was back and my response was no, I'd be back walking in a minute! My time on the Camino was a defining moment of my life, not just a "vacation". We have BC and AC- before and after Camino! It is however a very personal journey that continues months later, that cannot be shared with others, as the true humanity of what we lived cannot be conveyed. Self-discovery following the Camino is the journey we continue. Like most, I look forward to another Camino and different experiences- my first camino was solo. Next September, I am dreaming of a Camino with my husband, on the Primitivo to Santiago to Muxia. Less time and different experience with my husband. I have no doubt the Camino will guide us and have its effect on us. I think of all my fellow pilgrim friends and hope they are all well.

I had a bad case of Post Camino Blues on the day I realised it was one month over the year since I entered the square in front of the cathedral. I wanted to go for a walk, but my heel has not been right since, which was the main reason I never made it to Fisterra, as I had planned. So there I was with my full blown PCB, achy heel and a day off, and decided to go into town to look for a better pair of shoes, a good insole, anything that could make it better so I could start believing I could walk it again. On the train I was staring out at the scenery and thinking back to Spain, to Galicia, to the pilgrim I became and still want to be. And then, just as my zen was about to slip away because the stupid people at the station always try to get on the train before you have the chance to get off it ... I saw a backpack moving towards the exit, a backpack with a scallop shell hanging from the back. Zen restored I ran after the pack, which turned out to be carried by a woman, and I asked her if she had just come back and showed her my shell, a small silver pendant around my neck. We both started talking about all the things we missed, I invited her for a cup of coffee at the station, and we spent the best part of an hour talking excitedly about café con leche, albergues, pack sizes, showed each other snapshots of favourite places and people, compared routes and plans for The Next One. When she had to go for the next train, I bade her Buen Camino and gave her - and got - a hug as if we were old friends. Then I went into town to get a pair of Superfeet insoles to make sure I can walk The Next One. It is the only cure.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Saw my pack in the wardrobe yesterday and felt compelled tio put it on! How sad as it will be May before I walk. (Unless I sneak a quickie in) ;)

As I go through my daily routine, I occasionally will see a yellow or orange arrow painted by construction workers, or utility crews trying to identify or locate something. I cannot tell you how many times my feet wanted to follow those arrows. It's okay if you are on foot, but it takes an effort when driving a car not to swerve suddenly to follow the "flecha amarilla..." ;)

nidarosa aptly conveys the exact emotions I feel. I feel your pain...

I am planning to start again from St. Jean Pied de Port on or about 27 April 2014...yippee! I have reasons for the Camino Frances "do over." Once I accomplish this, I hope to start working my way through the other Caminos.

Saw my pack in the wardrobe yesterday and felt compelled tio put it on! How sad as it will be May before I walk. (Unless I sneak a quickie in) ;)
Ah! Do what we do Al, wear it sometimes for training, but not enough to wear it out. :)
(We have smaller packs for most of our training and UK walking)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My pack is packed, ready... for the day I know will be the day I will walk again. A few things have been taken out and one thing will be added (electric coil heater). I have 90 days, so hoping to be in Spain for 2014.

Camino blues every day. I have been going through my photos and posted the last one today. I tried to negotiate at home that they could celebrate x-mas without me so I could go away 2-3 weeks but they didn't see the excellence in that plan at all :-( I guess I have to wait until the next summer/autumn. I'll go to the Swedish mountains for extended weekends during winter and spring just to put one foot in front of the other, following a hiking line and being alone with my thoughts. Seeing some auroras and have a spiritual experience from that, I hope that will help keeping the worst blues away.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back