• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pre purchase our train and bus tickets online?

Merge

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June (2017)
Finalizing our arrangements and wondering if we should pre purchase our train ticket online from Madrid to Pamplona and also pre purchase our bus ticket from Pamplona to SJPP...or should we just buy them when we arrive?? Any advantages or disadvantages either way? Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I say sure. Do it. I'm assuming you have a nice window of time after arrival in Madrid to get to the train and also upon arrival in Pamplona to catch your bus. If you do, yeah, why not. Nice to have them already in your hands when you get there.

Thanks! Our plane arrives at 7:3AM, we're planning on taking the commuter train from the airport to catch the 11:35 Renfe train to Pamplona, arriving in Pamplona at 2:40. Catch the ALSA bus in Pamploma at 5:30 and arrive in SJPP at around 7:15 (I think). I think all connections should be easy to make barring anything unforseen! Thanks for your input, think we'll be getting our tickets and be finished with it!

+

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Finalizing our arrangements and wondering if we should pre purchase our train ticket online from Madrid to Pamplona and also pre purchase our bus ticket from Pamplona to SJPP...or should we just buy them when we arrive?? Any advantages or disadvantages either way? Thanks!

It depends on how much time you have between flight arrival and train departure.

If you don't have a lot of time ... the question becomes of whether or not you can afford to eat the cost of the ticket.

Your 0730 arr schedule looks reasonable ... however, personal experience includes planes arriving 3 hours and more late ... an unlikely event but you do need to plan for it.

Its a quandary because often you can get a deal buying in advance.

We did the same schedule you are planning without problems, however be aware that it is a bit of a haul up hill and around the city wall to get from the train station to the bus station in Pamplona. Also, the bus station is underground and rather frustrating to find when one is tired, travel weary, and ticketless . We purchased the train tickets in advance but not the bus tickets, and ended up stressing over that. Get your tickets and you won't have to worry about the tickets being sold out. Also, check the fine print on your tickets - sometimes the fare is transferable as long as there is space on the same route...
Buen Camino!

RENFE has flexible fares that allow changes at no cost, and promo plus that allow changes for a 15% charge. If I can't get a preferente (first class) ticket I opt for the turista promo plus. It's always cheaper than buying a flexible even adding the 15% charge if you have to make a change.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am a planner. It's in my DNA. As a result, I've booked bus tix from Madrid to Pamplona and from Pamplona to SJPdP. They are my second last indulgence. My last is booking an albergue in SJPdP. From then on it will be the law of the jungle. Trust, it's a camino thing and beyond the camino if you are lucky.

I am a planner. It's in my DNA. As a result, I've booked bus tix from Madrid to Pamplona and from Pamplona to SJPdP. They are my second last indulgence. My last is booking an albergue in SJPdP. From then on it will be the law of the jungle. Trust, it's a camino thing and beyond the camino if you are lucky.

Planner here also (much to my husband's dismay). We also plan on booking ahead at SJPP and again for our night in Orrison....after that.....we' taking it one day at a time and trusting as you said.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We did the same schedule you are planning without problems, however be aware that it is a bit of a haul up hill and around the city wall to get from the train station to the bus station in Pamplona. Also, the bus station is underground and rather frustrating to find when one is tired, travel weary, and ticketless .
Try this interactive map for getting from Pamplona's train station to its bus station. This is a work in progress so I'm missing some pictures and the walking track. Also "xxx" marks some things for me to fill in.

Interactive map

Last edited:
RENFE has flexible fares that allow changes at no cost, and promo plus that allow changes for a 15% charge. If I can't get a preferente (first class) ticket I opt for the turista promo plus. It's always cheaper than buying a flexible even adding the 15% charge if you have to make a change.

The 'flex' is gone after the train leaves.

Thanks! Our plane arrives at 7:3AM, we're planning on taking the commuter train from the airport to catch the 11:35 Renfe train to Pamplona, arriving in Pamplona at 2:40. Catch the ALSA bus in Pamploma at 5:30 and arrive in SJPP at around 7:15 (I think). I think all connections should be easy to make barring anything unforseen! Thanks for your input, think we'll be getting our tickets and be finished with it!

+
Yeah, y'all be alright. Plenty of time between arrival and departures.
ultreia

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Can you please tell me which website did you use to buy a ticket from pamplona to St Jean please. I'm in the same situation as you, I arrive in Madrid , I would also like to reach st jean that same anything . can you please give me an idea of your itinerary that specific day. . I also artive at about 6:30 in the morning in Madrid from South Africa so I would like to know how you have paid your ticket to get to st jean that evening.
Can you please be so kind to let me have websites and also if you don't mind your itinerary for that specific day I would just like to see how you look at it in from Madrid to St Jean in one day

Thank you very much for you nauseous

Can you please tell me which website did you use to buy a ticket from pamplona to St Jean please. I'm in the same situation as you, I arrive in Madrid , I would also like to reach st jean that same anything . can you please give me an idea of your itinerary that specific day. . I also artive at about 6:30 in the morning in Madrid from South Africa so I would like to know how you have paid your ticket to get to st jean that evening.
Can you please be so kind to let me have websites and also if you don't mind your itinerary for that specific day I would just like to see how you look at it in from Madrid to St Jean in one day

Evening.......

I'm so sorry for the typing errors. What I meant is thank you very much for your indulgence and helping me please

€60,-
While the OP's question has been abundantly answered, I realize that other travelers also read these threads. For me, buying train and bus tickets in advance is a significant source of stress. I would much rather have the routes, and the timetables, and the change points, sussed out in advance (per the information already presented above) and then buy the tickets on the spot, whenever I get there. The small cost difference pales in comparison to the international air fares.

I was very glad to have reserved my train from Madrid to Ponferrada as well as my first albergue there. It meant that I did not have to tax my brain and worry about getting to my starting point after a long flight that had been delayed to eventually leave Montreal at five minutes to midnight. The rest of my Camino was left to Providence.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

You can book all your bus tickets online and in advance from ALSA (https://www.alsa.es/en/) . You catch the bus in Madrid at the airport and make bus changes in Soria and Madrid.
This was my ALSA bus itinerary when I went:

NEX CONTINENTAL H.
Corporate Tax Id
B85146363
Simplified bill:
203-1-999-7741914
Service by road for passengers between:
From MADRID – BARAJAS AIRPORT T4
To SORIA
Type of bus
Normal
Type of ticket:
IDA
Passenger name:
National Id Card/Foreign Resident Id Card/Passport number:
Line: MADRID–SORIA–LOGROÑO Purchase date: 07/07/2016 Discount: –
Bus: 1 Seat: 50 Ticket Ref. Number: 1d0z1tm Departure date: 14/07/2016 Departure time: 10:45
Offer: –
Taxable base :
14,75€
Payment to 10,00 %:
1,48€
Price (VAT included):
16,23€
Observations: SALIDAS DE DARSENAS 1 A 4

Service by road for passengers between:
From SORIA
To PAMPLONA
Type of bus
Normal
Type of ticket: IDA
CONT.
Passenger name:
National Id Card/Foreign Resident Id Card/Passport number:
Line: SORIA–TUDELA–PAMPLONA Purchase date: 07/07/2016 Discount: –
Bus: 5 Seat: 50 Ticket Ref. Number: 1d0z1tm Departure date: 14/07/2016 Departure time: 13:20
Offer: –
Taxable base :
13,68€
Payment to 10,00 %:
1,37€
Price (VAT included):
15,05€
Observations:
Company
SERVICIOS DEL PRINCIPADO, S.A.
Corporate Tax Id
A33088220
Simplified bill:
62-33-999-8571966
Ticket administration charge Purchase date
07/07/2016
Taxable base :
2,15€
Payment to 21,00 %:
0,45€
Price (VAT included):
2,60€
Price of tickets:
31,28€
Additional service charge:
0,00€
Administration charge:
2,60€
Insurance price:
0,00€
SMS charge: Donation charge: Entry charge: Total payment:
OUTBOUND
Summary of services
0,00€ 0,00€ 0,00€ 33,88€
PAMPLONA - SAINT JEAN DE PIED DE PORT - - 14/07/2016 17:30
PAMPLONA (ESTACION DE AUTOBUSES YANGUAS Y MIRANDA 2)
SAINT JEAN DE PIED DE PORT (PLAZA JUAN DE HUARTE PLAZA JUAN DE HUARTE )
Factura Simplificada: 709-3-999-24893
Base imponible / Tax base...(10,00%): 17,86 EUR
Cuota IVA / VAT amount...(10,00%): 1,79 EUR
Base imponible / Tax base...(0%): 2,35 EUR
Precio base / Basic fare: 22,00 EUR

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark,
After reading in another thread that you took a bus from Madrid to SJPP I am thinking that will be the easiest thing for me and my friends (Your words: easy peasy.). I spent some time today researching options. I had hoped to do a train/bus combo but our plane arrives at 6:30 so we can't make the 7:35 train. The later train at 11:35 arrives in Pamplona at 2:40 so we would miss the 2:30 bus to SJPP. That would leave the 5:30 bus to SJPP and it seems kind of late to arrive and then have to walk the next morning. I thought about spending a night in Pamplona to break up the traveling, but I have already made a reservation at Orisson and would have to change it. Plus I don't know don't if the extra day would be more restful or not. My head is spinning. I am overthinking everything. (I chose to fly to Madrid because of the good price on the flight, but was that wise? I didn't figure another day for travel.) My excitement is turning to anxiety the closer we get to April 23. I guess there are almost as many different opinions on travel as there are on footwear or packs or anything else. Just make a decision...something I am not good at.

Mark,
After reading in another thread that you took a bus from Madrid to SJPP I am thinking that will be the easiest thing for me and my friends (Your words: easy peasy.). I spent some time today researching options. I had hoped to do a train/bus combo but our plane arrives at 6:30 so we can't make the 7:35 train. The later train at 11:35 arrives in Pamplona at 2:40 so we would miss the 2:30 bus to SJPP. That would leave the 5:30 bus to SJPP and it seems kind of late to arrive and then have to walk the next morning. I thought about spending a night in Pamplona to break up the traveling, but I have already made a reservation at Orisson and would have to change it. Plus I don't know don't if the extra day would be more restful or not. My head is spinning. I am overthinking everything. (I chose to fly to Madrid because of the good price on the flight, but was that wise? I didn't figure another day for travel.) My excitement is turning to anxiety the closer we get to April 23. I guess there are almost as many different opinions on travel as there are on footwear or packs or anything else. Just make a decision...something I am not good at.

The problem with spending the night in Pamplona is the next bus leaves at 1430 the following day ....

So if you plan to spend a night anywhere ... take bus from Madrid to San Sebastian, and Renfe Cercanias from San Sebastian to Irun. Spend the night in Irun. You then can catch an SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne and Bayonne to SJPdP arriving as early as 0845 in the morning ... and with enough time to walk to Orisson or Roncesvalle.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, obviously. It's meant to be used if your flight is delayed and you need to change your ticket.

I would suggest reading the fine print.

My understanding (which might be wrong) is that Renfe will put you on the next train only if you miss your booked reservation by less than a half hour due to no fault of your own.

The service provider is CONDA. CONDA is owned by ALSA. The schedule is set by ALSA. You buy a ticket from Pamplona to SJPdP from ALSA and you buy it separate from any other ticket. The ALSA website is accessible via CONDA website.

CONDA
http://www.conda.es/

CONDA service to SJPdP
http://www.conda.es/eventos.php?tipo=3&id=438

Note that schedules are not usually finalized more than 30 days prior to travel. That's important because the frequency of service is differs from 1 - 4 buses according to season and ceases in winter. So no point planning for July when there are going to be 4 buses but the schedule now (March) only shows 2.

The service provider is CONDA. CONDA is owned by ALSA. The schedule is set by ALSA. You buy a ticket from Pamplona to SJPdP from ALSA and you buy it separate from any other ticket. The ALSA website is accessible via CONDA website.
When you use the ALSA website to book a ticket or view a schedule you must not abbreviate the Saint in Saint Jean Pied de Port as ST or ST. or else the computer will not find the town.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Mark,
Just take the buses all the way to SJPdP like I did. The bus doesn't leave until 10:45 from the Madrid airport, so you will have plenty of time to catch it. I realize that you get to SJPdP kind of late, but honestly no matter what route you choose to get there, it will take all day. You will lose that day for travel. The bus route I took just happened to put me there a couple of hours later than most, but to me it was the easiest and most inexpensive. No trains or planes to catch.
With the bus option you get to SJPdP kind of late, so I recommend making reservations there beforehand. Since you are staying at Orisson no need to start early the next day. It's less than a 10 km walk on paved roads from SJPdP. Say three hours max to get there. Get a good night sleep, a good breakfast and stroll on up to Orisson. You will probably be there before 3:00 pm.
No need to overthink. No need for anxiety. If the bus option sounds good, do it. You make all your reservations online for it beforehand and then all you do is walk out of T4 in Madrid and there is the bus 50 meters away.
ultreia

The bus sounds like the best option (least complicated) for me. Thank you for your help.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back