• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Prebooking

Meggie

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Sept 2016
Norte April-May 2019
I´m trying to prebook for my August 2024 Norte-Primitivo but the websites do not allow booking this far in advance. Does anybody know how far in advance of my August camino I´ll be able to book my stay, Thanks in advance!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I´m trying to prebook for my August 2024 Norte-Primitivo but the websites do not allow booking this far in advance. Does anybody know how far in advance of my August camino I´ll be able to book my stay, Thanks in advance!
Nope. Though most providers allocate to the likes of booking.con once they’re open and trading. On the Norte that’ll be around about Easter.

It is always better to deal with providers direct and sites like Gronze.com can help you do that.

Out of curiosity what websites are you using?

Be aware that August is peak tourism season on Spain's northern coast, so you will be competing with a lot of tourists for accommodations. Also, the pilgrim infrastructure is very sparse compared to the Camino Francés.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not a great time of year for the Norte purely because it’s tourist season and a booking for a week is preferable to trying to get seven one-night bookings sequentially.

To your question: probably after Easter.

Hi Meggie, are you trying to book albergues or private accommodation? I'm going for a week at the end of September and have booked all of my accomodations, some on booking.com and some direct. Albergues don't always take reservations, I did the Norte back in 2022 and many people had problems getting beds as there aren't so many albergues as on the French way.

Are you sure that booking hasn't opened? Given that August is holiday season on the Norte, it's possible that places are actually booked out already.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Nope. Though most providers allocate to the likes of booking.con once they’re open and trading. On the Norte that’ll be around about Easter.

It is always better to deal with providers direct and sites like Gronze.com can help you do that.

Out of curiosity what websites are you using?
I've contacted establishments directly, tried through Booking.com and I am using the gronze app

Might have to switch to CF if I can't at least book 1st week. Or maybe try the Primitivo & then jump another route. I have July 31st - Sept 10th!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Might have to switch to CF if I can't at least book 1st week. Or maybe try the Primitivo & then jump another route. I have July 31st - Sept 10th!
As has been said August is peak holiday season along the north coast of Spain. You could choose to risk the availability of non-bookable accommodations but they're a bit scarce along the Norte. If you are starting from Irun take a look at https://www.gronze.com/camino-vasco perhaps through to Burgos, cross the Meseta to Leon and then the Salvador Primitivo combi. I've walked it in a similar timespan to yours but if your timings seem tight then either the bus Burgos to Leon or the train Leon to Oviedo would give you a catch-up.

Happy planning

I've been hammering away at the keyboard and have booked quite a bit of my August Camino. Loosening up my parameters was required. I knew going in August was not ideal but it's the month this year has given me. The challenge has allowed me to consider the lesser walked routes. Thanks for your help!

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino