Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo 100 km starting point??

grayland

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
I have been asked a question regarding the 100 km requirement (Compostela) on the Primitivo. I hesitated to answer because I realized I did not know.
The actual question was..... "Where is the minimum starting point and what is the best way to get there from Santiago?"

EDITED: 100 km is correct. Not sure where my brain was. But then...the question was really not mine...:cool:

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I understood the requirement for a Santiago Compostela was 100km regardless of where you walk from (which is why some routes are too short to qualify) - or 200 for horsies and bikies.
But that doesn't mean I'm right! (Rachel is right...it is 100 km)

Oh, and by the way, wouldn't anyone want to do ALL of the Primitivo?;-) (and if you were short of time, surely you'd skip the bit that joins with the Frances!!!!)....I know, I know....each to their own

San Roman de Retorta is about 81 km from Santiago. Lugo is about 100. I'm not sure how to get to either although Lugo must be served by bus and train. Maybe some of the more experienced Primitvo folks have specifics. Liz

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Lugo is the traditional starting point recognized in the pilgrims office. It's a regional capital and so it's well connected by bus and train. Great city to visit as welll, with its Roman walls.

Train from Santiago requires a transfer in A Coruna. Buses also go through A Coruna but I don't think you need to transfer. I'm sure our travel experts will weigh in on this one soon, whariwarangi and falcon, where are you?

Buen camino, Laurie

Lugo has the 101km waymark as you leave the city, so qualifies as a starting point. It is also possible to lengthen it by taking the bus to or towards a Fonsagrada if wanting a longer pilgrimage. The first day from Lugo to San Roman de Retorta is 20kms. If not well into training it might just be worth taking the bus out of town and walking into Lugo on the Camino to make a short first day. It would need checking where the bus route crosses the Camino between Castroverde and Lugo as that is also a 20km stage.

Attachments

• mojon 101kms.jpg
    mojon 101kms.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 5
San Roman de Retorta is about 81 km from Santiago. Lugo is about 100. I'm not sure how to get to either although Lugo must be served by bus and train. Maybe some of the more experienced Primitvo folks have specifics. Liz
My wife and I walked the whole of the Primitivo in 2012 and it was fantastic journey and in 2013 walked from Lugo into Santiago We took a bus both times out from Santiago, it is a very efficient service. The Camino France seems very busy after the tranquility of the Camino Primitivo. Good luck with whatever you choose. Dermot

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Lugo is after the best parts of the Camino Primitivo. Except for two days of fewer pilgrims, it is very much like the Camino Frances. From Melide, it IS the Camino Frances.;)

Falcon, I couldn't agree with you more. Though the walk is nice after Lugo, the real beauty is between Oviedo and Lugo. But that's true for so many caminos -- the Sanabres from Ourense doesn't have the beauty of Zamora to Ourense, IMO. It's that pesky 100 km compostela rule that makes people do this!

I agree that the most scenic parts of the Primitivo are the mountain sections, particularly between Tineo and Cádabo. However if the pilgrim cannot walk the whole of some sections, or does not have time to walk more then starting from Lugo might be the best option available rather than walking just on the Francés. Also Lugo is a lovely place to start a Camino - sello from the offices up the steps opposite the Cathedral (am ) and the Cathedral and walls are worth seeing too.
Also it is important to know where 'help' in the form of taxi or bus is possible and the point from which it is imperative to actually cover the distance on foot. We took a taxi into A Fonsagrada for 10kms, in dreadful weather, having planned to do so for the final 5kms into town - to shorten a day; then we took a bus from Paradavella into Cádabo - again to shorten a day. After that we walked every km, in spite of being offered a ride by one kindly host!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am led to believe there is a bus from A Coruna to Lugo which also goes on through to Ponferrada

Attachments

• Alsa bus schedule.pdf
    135.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The actual question was..... "Where is the minimum starting point and what is the best way to get there from Santiago?"

The minimum starting point, if walking, would be Lugo as other users already said. The best way to get to Lugo from Santiago de Compostela would be by direct bus with Empresa Freire:

http://www.empresafreire.com/html/ingles/seccion0.php

Alsa has also some buses from Santiago de Compostela to Lugo but they go through A Coruña and take longer.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back