• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Private rooms for a family of three?

FoxyR

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francais
My partner and I plan to walk the Camino Frances from SJPDP with our teenager (June/July 2024 if all works out). For various reasons, my partner would prefer to stay in private rooms with our child while on the route. Are private "triple" rooms common or should I expect to be sleeping in a dorm room as the odd person out?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
All variations exist, but triples are an odd duck. You are likely to be staying in two rooms (two separate rooms with one or two beds in each) or the occasional quadruple room (rare and you may have to actually pay for all four beds. If private accommodations are a requirement, definitely book ahead. Your idea of one room and you in a dorm works, but that may mean your family is split between two different accommodations (or even villages).

You have a lot of options to consider, but do so BEFORE heading out to walk - the more requirements you place on the Camino, the less freedom you have to simply “wing it”

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Even if you have to pay For a room of four beds (ex 2 bunks) for 3 of you that should be an option many places.... Or you get a dual room, and the third person uses everybody's sleeping gear for the floor

You can find triples.
They have a triple at La Posada in Roncesvalles.
There is a triple in Zubiri at El Palo de Avelleno
You can find triples all over Pamplona
Jakue at Puente la Reina has pilgrim rooms with a queen and a sofa bed
I have found triples all the way across - but you need to BOOK THEM AHEAD of time and I mean like 6 months ahead of time when possible!
Good luck!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Rooms with 3 beds in hotels are more common in Spain than they are in North America. We are 3 women, and we’re able to find triple rooms about half of the time.
Thanks, that's very helpful. Trying to manage expectations.

All variations exist, but tripes are an odd duck. You are likely to be staying in two rooms (two separate rooms with one or two beds in each) or the occasional quadruple room (rare and you may have to actually pay for all four beds. If private accommodations are a requirement, definitely book ahead. Your idea of one room and you in a dorm works, but that may mean your family is split between two different accommodations (or even villages).

You have a lot of options to consider, but do so BEFORE heading out to walk - the more requirements you place on the Camino, the less freedom you have to simply “wing it”
Indeed. I'm totally of a "Camino will provide" mindset. Partner is more regimented with what they are comfortable with. The challenge will be to meet in the middle somewhere we are both happy. Gathering information to see where the lines may lie

You can find triples.
They have a triple at La Posada in Roncesvalles.
There is a triple in Zubiri at El Palo de Avelleno
You can find triples all over Pamplona
Jakue at Puente la Reina has pilgrim rooms with a queen and a sofa bed
I have found triples all the way across - but you need to BOOK THEM AHEAD of time and I mean like 6 months ahead of time when possible!
Good luck!
Very helpful. Thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We have done a number of caminos with our kids (from 6yo to teens). For a "treat" in Oviedo and Lugo we booked an apartment on AirBnB and the kids were grumpy that we were not with the other pilgrims at the albergue! Won't be doing that again;-)

We have done a number of caminos with our kids (from 6yo to teens). For a "treat" in Oviedo and Lugo we booked an apartment on AirBnB and the kids were grumpy that we were not with the other pilgrims at the albergue! Won't be doing that again;-)
Thank you. I've learned a lot from your posts, comments and videos

Most of the private hostels have triples, we did mostly private rooms for our family of 4. I totally get the wanting to be with other pilgrims,(it is a huge part of the camino). We did find in the private hostels, we were still with other pilgrims, (had plenty of hang outs and communal meals) but had the room and bathroom when it was time to finally turn in for the night. It was a good compromise and worked for us, every family is different. We also hung out in the town square and other places that pilgrims did.

I have to say, in our own room, we controlled the light and if the kids spread out a little too much or wanted to read or the 9 year old needed to hum, I was less worried.

Quads are harder to find than triples. I kept thinking as I planned, if I had only 3 this would be easier :). I think you will be able to find a great compromise the makes you both happy and have a great camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Most of the private hostels have triples, we did mostly private rooms for our family of 4. I totally get the wanting to be with other pilgrims,(it is a huge part of the camino). We did find in the private hostels, we were still with other pilgrims, (had plenty of hang outs and communal meals) but had the room and bathroom when it was time to finally turn in for the night. It was a good compromise and worked for us, every family is different. We also hung out in the town square and other places that pilgrims did.

I have to say, in our own room, we controlled the light and if the kids spread out a little too much or wanted to read or the 9 year old needed to hum, I was less worried.

Quads are harder to find than triples. I kept thinking as I planned, if I had only 3 this would be easier :). I think you will be able to find a great compromise the makes you both happy and have a great camino!
Thank you. Generally how far in advance did you book the rooms. What was your main resource or platform used to find the rooms?

My partner and I plan to walk the Camino Frances from SJPDP with our teenager (June/July 2024 if all works out). For various reasons, my partner would prefer to stay in private rooms with our child while on the route. Are private "triple" rooms common or should I expect to be sleeping in a dorm room as the odd person out?
My 2 children and I walked the Frances (Sep-Nov 2022) and stayed at the following places that accommodated us with private room with three twin beds, private bathroom, towels, and TV:

Hotel Roncesvalles; Apartment like. Posada Roncesvalles (Hotel). Ensure to reserve for "Posada Roncesvalles" (Roncesvalles)
Hotel Maisonnave (Pamplona). Excellent buffet breakfast.
Albergue de Perdon (Uterga). Please say hello to Noellia.
La Bodega del Camino (Lorca).
Pension Toni. Our room had a patio. Hello to Marian. Hotel A Santiago (Belorado)
Hotel San Anton Abad (Villafranca Montes de Oca). Nice breakfast buffet.
Hostal Happy Carrales (Burgos). Away from the city noise. Hello to David for being an excellent host.
Albergue Santa Brigida (Hontanas). Guests in private rooms have a private table for breakfast now (2023). Also has massage spa.
Albergue Orion (Castrojeriz). Korean food dinner. Hello to Dani and Sanghui.
Hotel Rural del Camino (Boadilla de Camino). Please say hello from Josefino to mi hermano menor Eduardo.
Hostal Camino Real (Calzadilla de la Cueza).
Hotel Amenecer en Campos (Poblacion del Campos)
Hostal Rural San Pedro (Fromista)
Hotel Domus Viatoris (Sahagun). Hello to Sabina. Do not forget to obtain your "Camino Halfway Point Certificate."
Hostal Rivero (Bercianos del Camino). Best burgers along the camino.
El Costa del Adobe (El Burgo Ranero). Smoothies.
Hostel San Pelayo (Puente Villarente)
Albergue My Way (Astorga).
La Gallega (Cacabelos). Dinner on demand.
Hostal Recanto (Vega de la Valcarce)
Pension Carolo (O Cebreiro).
A Reboleira-Nunez House (Fonfria)
Casa Morgade (Morgade-Sarria). Please say hello to Paco. Good steak with salad.
Pension Mar (Portomarin)
Pension Cruceiro (Ventas de Naron).
Pension As Hortas. KM66. (Palas del Rei)
Pension Boente (Boente)
Casa Somoza (O Coto, just before Melide center). Don Quixote and Sancho
Domus Gallery (Arzua)
Tia Teresa. Best steak along the camino! Fee laundry. Penion Tasaga; late dinner/breakfast. (A Salceda)
Hospederia San Martin Pinario (Santiago de Compostela). Next door to cathedral. Please say hello to Jose Maria Antonio Estevez; head waiter during breakfast. A very kind man. Wears his eye glasses at the tip of his nose.

Stay away from:

Casa Tau (Larrasoana); Residential El Cuartel (Granon); Santa Fe de Cardenuela (Cardenuela Riopico); Hostal Meson Vilasante (Triacastela); Pension Perez (Portomarin); Hotel Switzerand (Arzua); Pension Che (O Amenal), Hotel Akellare (San Marcos)

We rented an apartment in Leon (above Plaza Mayor and right next door to the cathedral).

We stayed at Beilari in SJPdP for two days. But morning of second day "angels" woke us up around 630AM, and we had to stay out and away until they reopen for the day.

Hope this helps somewhat. PM me for any questions. Best wishes. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Please note that while many people are suggesting triples are easy to find, I still warn you that they exist in low quantities and you have to plan early to secure them.

I concur with the thumbs-up for Casa Morgade. I stayed there a few weeks ago. Shared a bathroom but had a private room. Lovely place and great people working there!

Stay away from “Noja Rooms” in O Pedrouzo. I actually had a triple there with a bath shared with too many people. Hard to find the place, rude people working there, very expensive, room on second floor overlooking street. No fan, very hot, very loud. (To be fair, folks that did not have a west-facing room might have had a different experience.)

some do have as well as hotels and you can get apartments but be sure they accept bags if you are not carrying your packs. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Please note that while many people are suggesting triples are easy to find, I still warn you that they exist in low quantities and you have to plan early to secure them.
Thanks for the warning

I concur with the thumbs-up for Casa Morgade. I stayed there a few weeks ago. Shared a bathroom but had a private room. Lovely place and great people working there!

Stay away from “Noja Rooms” in O Pedrouzo. I actually had a triple there with a bath shared with too many people. Hard to find the place, rude people working there, very expensive, room on second floor overlooking street. No fan, very hot, very loud. (To be fair, folks that did not have a west-facing room might have had a different experience.)
Was your room and the shared bathroom by the stairs? If it was, Paco, the tall guy who owns the place put me there too on May 30!

Was your room and the shared bathroom by the stairs? If it was, Paco, the tall guy who owns the place put me there too on May 30!
Yes!! I was there on June first! I got to enjoy the glass being recycled in the bin under the window at all hours, the Estrella Galicia truck clankily unloading, etc. I talked to a lady who was one of the ones sharing the bathroom and their room was not as stifling because they faced north, I believe. Also the laundry was the most expensive I saw on the Camino (€5 to wash and 5 to dry.) No thanks, i washed my clothes out when nobody needed the bathroom and hung everything in the windows, in the hot sunshine! Did it take you a while to even find the place? I thought I was ringing the bell to a lawyer’s office!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you. Generally how far in advance did you book the rooms. What was your main resource or platform used to find the rooms?
I used booking for 90% of it all. But used wise pilgrim and Gronze to double check. I had a few priorities, one was we needed to be near the center of town and on the camino, we cared more about the room for us all more than a shared bath or needing sheets and towels. We brought thin towels and sleeping bag liners. I had the whole trip booked 10 weeks in advance. Gronze if very accurate about triples and quads.

I agree with those who say for triples and quads you need to plan and book in advance, they are there, but there are only a few per place. We came across of few families and found we were staying at the same places over and over. I did find a few private hostels that had rooms for 3 or 5, I just paid the 15 for the 5th bed so we could have our own space.

Here is where we stayed.

Orrison - we did share that night.
La Posada Roncesvalles - that was great - but no laundry, it had rained the 2 days before so we had damp stuff.
Zubiri- Hostel Rio Arga, bunk room for 4 with private bath- they did our laundry for low cost.
Pamplona- Bearnan Bar and Rooms- best location ever!
Estella - Estella Rooms Autocheckin - it was a great location and nice room
Pension Los Arcos - OMG, it was so nice. we had a private bunk room, shared bath. Great laundry
Hotel Palacio de Pajama by Mij- great locations, laundry at the hostel.
Then we moved to Primitivo
Melide - El Molino - not our favorite, but clean and not central locale.
Arzua - Teiraboa base camp - we had a pod at the campground, it was so much fun.
O Pedrouzo - Peregrina guesthouse 2 - we had 2 rooms , it was clean and nice -shared bath
Santiago - Hotel Montenegro - this was a splurge- location was great, room was over the top!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back