• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Problems starting on a Sunday out of St Jean Pied de Port?

Parzival

We are very close to buying tickets, and arranging travel when it occurred to me that starting on a Sunday might be a problem. Will everything in St Jean Pied de Port be closed? Would it be better to pick another day?

Thank you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There is plenty open on a Sunday. You will have plenty of company, but I think Saturday is the busiest day of the week for departures.

Buen camino.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
HOWEVER, it has been my experience that starting your Camino mid-week helps in terms of albergues being full. Many more people start on a Monday than on a Tuesday or Wednesday. The times I've begun mid-week, I had a much nicer time, with fewer crowded albergues.

And remember, there is no law that says you have to follow Brierley's stages. Walking the "in between" is often a very good strategy also.

But... some people enjoy crowds! :D

Anniesantiago said:
HOWEVER, it has been my experience that starting your Camino mid-week helps :D
I totally agree, many of the French and Spanish pilgrims will travel to SJPP over the weekend to start their Camino a mid week start helps to avoid this wave of pilgrims .

I have found the same thing happens at some of the other popular starting places Leon, Burgos, Saria, I try to avoid the weekends there as well.

Great advice. I have to start on the weekend because of time off from work. This will give me more days on the Camino. We get there on a Saturday.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you are there early enough on Saturday, you might want to consider walking to Honto. It would take just a couple of hours, and would get a fair amount of elevation change and some jet lag behind you. While St. Jean Pied de Port is a charming little village, it does not take a lot of time to see it. A visit to the Pilgrim Office, a meal, and a view of the Citadel walls, and you might be ready and eager to get started. You do not generally need reservations for Honto because it is not as popular as Orisson, which his another long hour past Honto.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back