• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pulpo in Melide

Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
1648043854432.png

On my next Frances I plan to arrive in Melide in plenty of time to have a leisurely mid-day meal of it's celebrated pulpo. Last time it was at the Ezequiel. Any pulpo enthusiasts got a better suggestion? The Garnacha, perhaps?

(And I'll have Ascension Thursday free in SdeC where, I'm told, excellent pulpo can be had at the festive booths in the Alameda Park, near Santa Susana....)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
To be honest, I had what I thought was great pulpo at a cafe/restaurant just the other side of the Ribadiso albergue ( river, albergue, café, as my fading memories suggest).

Please post what you tried. ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
View attachment 121093

On my next Frances I plan to arrive in Melide in plenty of time to have a leisurely mid-day meal of it's celebrated pulpo. Last time it was at the Ezequiel. Any pulpo enthusiasts got a better suggestion? The Garnacha, perhaps?

(And I'll have Ascension Thursday free in SdeC where, I'm told, excellent pulpo can be had at the festive booths in the Alameda Park, near Santa Susana....)
I've been to Ezequiel four times. Each time, I scheduled my walk to allow me to stay overnight so I can enjoy the pulpo, the huge grilled shrimp and some cold beer. It's a treat that I look forward to for every one of my Camino Frances.

I've been to Ezequiel four times. Each time, I scheduled my walk to allow me to stay overnight so I can enjoy the pulpo, the huge grilled shrimp and some cold beer. It's a treat that I look forward to for every one of my Camino Frances.

Never stayed over in Melide before, but the idea intrigues! Might let me do two fine pulpo meals! ... Could you suggest the name of a nice place to stay? (I'm too old and grumpy for albergues any more.)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It was a rainy day in an early afternoon in Melide, May, 2017, a bottle of beer, a plate of pulpo and a piece of bread was 10 euro. The pulpo was tender and plenty, the bread was warm and the beer was cold.

I can't recall the name of the cafe/restaurant, which seemed mainly serving pulpo, which was walking distance from the albergue where I stayed.

Never stayed over in Melide before, but the idea intrigues! Might let me do two fine pulpo meals! ... Could you suggest the name of a nice place to stay? (I'm too old and grumpy for albergues any more.)
I have also stopped competing for bunk beds some time ago. I use booking.com for a room in a pension or hotel. There isn't any fancy place in Melide but quite a few decent places that are spread out all over the small town.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
View attachment 121093

I haven't been to the Ezequiel, but I have been to Pulperia A Garnacha at the recommendation of the hospitalero at Albergue O Candil in Melide (which I highly recommend). When I asked the hospitalero about the Ezequiel, as it had a slightly higher rating on Google, he mentioned the recent feedback from guests had been better from Garnacha. The Garnacha is a very casual restaurant, the servers were friendly and quick, and the pulpo was delectable. I would definitely go back, and I'd recommend it. That said, I would also like to try Ezequiel just to compare. Maybe (probably) next time.

I'm pretty sure the wife and I had our first pulpo tasting in Melide. To be honest...not my favourite seafood delight! That said, we later dined on the grilled variant...and while it didn't look that inviting...the grilled was absolutely delicious.

Attachments

• IMG_1219.JPG
    IMG_1219.JPG
    664.7 KB · Views: 22
I've always stayed in Melide and always eaten pulpo at the Ezequiel. Wonderful food and atmosphere both times. Fun watching my companion's face as they try pulpo for the first time.
So now I have another place to try? The Garnacha? I may have to stay an extra night in Melide!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ezequel has an albergue behind (alley to left of ) the pulperia just ask inside if it is still open or better to call ahead. Located in the alleyway at the corner of the bldg on the left just before the entrance I stayed there …it was clean and lovely ..do not worry if no one shows right away to take your money they will come eventually. If i remember correctly I think I had a room to myself and you can use the side enterance to enter the Pulparia. View attachment 121163

Attachments

• A2E41FC9-E23E-4B03-8259-1C7313664EBB.jpeg
    A2E41FC9-E23E-4B03-8259-1C7313664EBB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 6DE69BBB-BFD9-4207-A8B9-77C636D152C5.jpeg
    6DE69BBB-BFD9-4207-A8B9-77C636D152C5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • 50BA4CB2-3A7A-4671-986A-A319CD62B2AB.jpeg
    50BA4CB2-3A7A-4671-986A-A319CD62B2AB.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
View attachment 121093

I was in Garnacha in October 2021 with group of pilgrims and it was superb. Not only the food and cunca of Ribeiro wine but the service is excellent.

The best place to eat in Melide besides Garnacha (and it is better than Garnacha) is Casa Alongos just before Garnacha on Camino to your right. If you eat there you will love it, try the Ribeiro wine there too. Concha the owner and chef has an innovative menu with well elaborated dishes as well as pulpo. Her Google Maps rating 4.7, Garancha is 4.4, Ezequiel is 4.2.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.