• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lunch in Madrid

Philtration

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2021, 2023
I get in to Madrid mid morning next Thursday, and catch a train to Leon in mid afternoon. Anyone know a good place for lunch on the way to or close to Chamartín train station?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My favorite lunch when passing through Madrid is a bocadillo de calamares. I usually get then near the Plaza Mayor but I'm confident that isn't the only place in Madrid where they can be found. Cerveceria Pepe near Chamartin seems to have them, according to Google.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
My favorite lunch when passing through Madrid is a bocadillo de calamares. I usually get then near the Plaza Mayor but I'm confident that isn't the only place in Madrid where they can be found. Cerveceria Pepe near Chamartin seems to have them, according to Google.
They are available pretty much everywhere!

I was going to suggest
https://mercadodesanmiguel.es/ but it is in the centre and guessing you just want to go from Barajas Airport straight to Charmartin. Lots of small eateries around. Even the ones at station are ok.

They are available pretty much everywhere!

I was going to suggest
https://mercadodesanmiguel.es/ but it is in the centre and guessing you just want to go from Barajas Airport straight to Charmartin. Lots of small eateries around. Even the ones at station are ok.
I also recommend Mercado San Miguel!! I also found a great cafe - Cafe Cervantes but I don’t know how far it is from the train station.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for your suggestions (except the MacDonalds! 😛).

https://mercadodesanmiguel.es/ but it is in the centre and guessing you just want to go from Barajas Airport straight to Charmartin. Lots of small eateries around. Even the ones at station are o
Mercado looks really fun, but yeah, it's probably farther downtown than I'll go. Closer to Atocha

I also found a great cafe - Cafe Cervantes but I don’t know how far it is from the train station.
Really intriguing, looks like it's grown from a single shrub! Also pretty far downtown though. I wish I was leaving from Atocha!
1697340529645.png

Thanks for your suggestions (except the MacDonalds! 😛).

Mercado looks really fun, but yeah, it's probably farther downtown than I'll go. Closer to Atocha

Really intriguing, looks like it's grown from a single shrub! Also pretty far downtown though. I wish I was leaving from Atocha!
View attachment 158394
Hi, I was wrong. It’s not Cafe Cervantes I went to but that place looks cool. I just looked it up and I went to Cerveceria Cervantes (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...4239-Reviews-Cerveceria_Cervantes-Madrid.html).

I get in to Madrid mid morning next Thursday, and catch a train to Leon in mid afternoon. Anyone know a good place for lunch on the way to or close to Chamartín train station?
G'day Phil, there are a lot of good restaurants around both Chamartin and Atocha stations. The train to Leon (Alva) usually leaves from Chamartin, which is currently undergoing renovation. I suggest leaving the station and walking a few hundred yards towards the Plaza Castellano. There are any number of restaurants round there.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I ate at Cerveceria Pepe earlier this year when between trains at Chamartin and recommend it. It has a wide clientele, usually a good sign, and does an excellent and reasonable menu del dia. About 10 minutes from the station at ground level.

I didn't quite recommend the bocadillos de calamares at random or purely based on my personal tastes. Surprisingly, for a place located so far from the ocean, they are especially associated with Madrid. Sort of like trying the currywurst in Berlin. I have a Madrid tee shirt I picked up as a souvenir on the way home this summer. It has a number of local landmarks drawn on it - and a bocadillo de calamares.

You are near the art museum Museo Reina Sophia, there is a square in front of the main entrance with restaurants. I went to a good restaurant there - in my notes I see I had a ravioli and a beer! And if you have time you can go into the Museum - they asked for my passport to see if I was senior and then let me in free! Picasso's Guernica is there.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I understood that the OP is travelling from Chamartin station, which is quite a long way from Madrid's other main station at Atocha. It is Atocha station which is close to the excellent Museo Reina Sophia. If at Atocha, Reina Sophia is an excellent idea.
Remember too that lunch is eaten late in Spain.

I lived in Madrid for close on 5 years, not too far from the barrio where the station is… someone mentioned head to Plaza Castilla, where you’ll find plenty of choice including El Molino (https://maps.app.goo.gl/mBArwJ9voYifJHSz8?g_st=ic)
Highly recommended for a range of Castilian food, and the suckling pig is the star.
¡Aproveché!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ok, sorry, its not McDonald's at Chamartin, but a Burger King, I think. When we were there last summer everything was in such a mess and disarray from construction that even finding a bathroom was a mystery. Burger King did have bathrooms, but it really felt like you should order something to use the facility. Maybe not the meal you are looking for though.

Ok, sorry, its not McDonald's at Chamartin, but a Burger King, I think. When we were there last summer everything was in such a mess and disarray from construction that even finding a bathroom was a mystery. Burger King did have bathrooms, but it really felt like you should order something to use the facility. Maybe not the meal you are looking for though.
Hopefully the construction is done or at least better. Depending on whether my flight arrives on time this may be my best option! Gracias

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What better place to have lunch than the Plaza Mayor? Many restaurants there just sit eat and watch life go by!

Since I will be holding a train ticket from Chamartín to Leon for later in the day, does anyone know if I can take the shuttle train back and forth between Chamartín and Atocha? It's pretty fast and frequent and would get me to the downtown area with minimal delays.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When we bought our train tickets last year it came with a C-train transfer within 2 hours prior to the train leaving.
There is a little code up in the corner that you scan and you don't have to pay extra for that if you bought a certain class of ticket. I don't know if it works to and from, but I know it will work "to" your train.
1697481016180.png

Since I will be holding a train ticket from Chamartín to Leon for later in the day, does anyone know if I can take the shuttle train back and forth between Chamartín and Atocha? It's pretty fast and frequent and would get me to the downtown area with minimal delays.
The cercanias trains and the metro are fast. If you do go to the Plaza Mayor, I would NOT recommend the San Miguel market unless you wish to be surrounded by lots of loud tourists. If you like bocadillos de calamari the place to go at the Plaza Mayor is down a side street on the SE corner of the plaza. Use maps for Bar La Compana. Buen viaje! PS- you don't need to go as far as Atocha- find a stop near the Puerta del Sol.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.