• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Purchasing Orange ESIM for Data, Calls and Texts in Europe with Unlocked iPhone: Any Recommendations?

Suzanne A

Peregrina desde 2015
Time of past OR future Camino
2015 CF, 2016 CP, 2018 Le Puy, 2019 CF,
2022 Prim
Hi, wanting to purchase an Orange ESIM for Europe. (need data , calls and texts). Who has experience with this? I have compatible unlocked iphone.
thanks,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used Orange back in October. Signed up before leaving the US and turned on when I landed in Paris. Worked well for me. I’ve also used Airalo data only plans with great success as well.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Maybe a bit too long ago, but in 2019 we just bought the SIM at Barcelona airport on arrival. It was one of the Holiday packs as well. It had enough data for a Camino (not streaming anyhing, just googling/messaging) , texts and calls. The guy from the Orange shop activated it on our unlocked device and all worked well.

Maybe a bit too long ago, but in 2019 we just bought the SIM at Barcelona airport on arrival. It was one of the Holiday packs as well. It had enough data for a Camino (not streaming anyhing, just googling/messaging) , texts and calls. The guy from the Orange shop activated it on our unlocked device and all worked well.
Hi Anamya, I am getting an E-sim.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Anamya, I am getting an E-sim.
Thanks for pointing it out (which I should have read in the title), I actually had to google the difference and learned something new today! :)

You can browse through related threads if you click on the tag "phones/apps/gps/maps" that has been placed under the title at the top of this thread.

I took my SIM and transfered its information unto my eSIM and brought my physical SIM card with me. This gave me the flexibility of using either a SIM card or an eSIM in Spain.

I did buy a physical SIM there so I can't directly answer your question. Also, I used a phone with an early version of the dual number capability and things work differently now so I can't give a meaningful to you description of how things worked out.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, wanting to purchase an Orange ESIM for Europe. (need data , calls and texts). Who has experience with this? I have compatible unlocked iphone.
thanks,
We bought Orange holiday eSIMs on our last stay in Paris. I had trouble buying them while stateside due to fraud detection on my credit cards. Once in Europe it was no problem. One thing to be aware of. If you want to keep your card longer than a month you have to reply to a text they send you requesting some sort of verification. I don’t remember the exact wording. Topping up your eSIM can be a little fussy, but it works. We will use eSIMs again next time we are over. Oh and here’s another thing. You add the eSIM plan to your phone by scanning a QR code. That means the QR code needs to be on something other than your phone (paper, another device/computer). I suggest printing off the instructions for adding an eSIM to your phone.

We bought Orange holiday eSIMs on our last stay in Paris. I had trouble buying them while stateside due to fraud detection on my credit cards. Once in Europe it was no problem. One thing to be aware of. If you want to keep your card longer than a month you have to reply to a text they send you requesting some sort of verification. I don’t remember the exact wording. Topping up your eSIM can be a little fussy, but it works. We will use eSIMs again next time we are over. Oh and here’s another thing. You add the eSIM plan to your phone by scanning a QR code. That means the QR code needs to be on something other than your phone (paper, another device/computer). I suggest printing off the instructions for adding an eSIM to your phone.
As I am a technological idiot. Before I go to the Camino I figure out where the closest Vodafone shop is to the hostel I will stay at in Madrid/Barcelona. I take a screen shot of the the route from the Metro to the shop, also cut and paste walking directions. Get out of the Metro head directly to Vodafone. Check out the plans they have to offer. Mine never costs more than 20E. Then I give them my phone, passport and my 20E. Let them set it up. SIgn the paperwork. Have them clearly write down my new phone number and code to unlock my phone if I need to turn it off. Then I open Google maps. Type in my hostel and follow the yellow brick road to my hostel. So much easier.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am able to add the ESim to my phone now and will activate when I arrive in France. Can you explain what you mean by fussy?

thanks,
Hi! If you have a newer (less than two years old) phone you can go to the Orange website and buy it there. Just pick the one that works for you and download it. You will be able to add it to your phone but don’t connect it til you land in Europe. All the information is on Orange and it’s very easy to understand. You can add more gigs with your phone as you travel. I found it great to use. Hope this helps!!

I am able to add the ESim to my phone now and will activate when I arrive in France. Can you explain what you mean by fussy?
If you do it through the website you have to be certain that you're signing up for the correct plan, otherwise you might lose the number you first were assigned. If you sign up for cell service and data, you want to be sure to top up for that type of plan. After your first two week plan you can then top up for a month. I don't know why they don't allow you to do that up front. At least this is how it was in 2021.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Based on the feedback I received from my previous posting I've been working away at producing an updated version, with the results available at https://de-calixtinus.org You can view the release...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back