• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues limited occupancy

norfolk-keith

Time of past OR future Camino
Good evening fellow pilgrims
I have a question for anyone who has walked during the past 2-3 months and everyone walking now on the Frances.
Back when I walked it in 2021 Albergues we’re still limited to 30% occupancy, can anyone give me an update on the current occupancy status as I fly out on the 9th July and it would just be nice to know if beds are still limited.
Many thanks to everyone
Buen Camino Keith

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I didn't notice any limits in September '22 when I walked and would not expect any in '23 either. AFAIK the last of the covid restrictions ( masks on public transport ) has been lifted too

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I didn't notice any limits in September '22 when I walked and would not expect any in '23 either. AFAIK the last of the covid restrictions ( masks on public transport ) has been lifted too
I believe that masks are still required in health care facilities, including pharmacies, but I was able to quickly duck into a pharmacy for a quick purchase without a mask. (I did have one in my backpack back at the albergue)

I walked the Variante Espiritual from Valenca and Sanabres from Ourense using mainly Xunta, private albergues and some private rooms. There were no arrangements in place where I stayed in dormitories to limit bed occupancy.

Is the Variante Espiritual recognized by the Pilgrims Office yes or not ?
last year it was not. This year there was doubt about it and I checked it out by someone who worked at the Pilgrims Office at volunteer but he could not give me an answer . The only thing we knew so far its that the official routes from Portugal are
240 kms by the Central route from Porto via Tui , the coastal from Porto to Vila do Conde and from there to the Central route 260 kms and the coastal route from Porto via Baiona and Vigo , 280 kms.
Today I got the confirmation that if you walk one of these routes and the Variante Espiriutual and you ask for a certificate of Distance, the kms mentioned on this document, in this case from a friend who walked from Porto to Vila do Conde and from there on the Central route via Tui were 260 kms . The extra kms for the VE -about 55 kms - were not counted.This friend arrived today in Santiago
What has this to do with the price of fish? The question here is about the availability of Albergue beds and application of any government imposed limitations on occupancy.

The vagaries of the rules of the Pilgrims Office and their application of them deserve a separate thread, possibly an entirely separate forum

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back