• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question about current Central Portuguese route conditions

srtoothpaste

Time of past OR future Camino
Central Camino portuguese
hi

Just wondering a few quick questions for those currently walking central route as i will be walking it next week

1. How busy is it? Do i need to book albergues or are they still fairly empty? Conscious its holidays in Europe
2. How hot is it at night as i cannot decide if just a sheet sleeping bag will be okay?
3. Anyone know any bed bug outbreaks to be aware of
4. Any accom other than auberges anyone has found thats really good for a night of sleep away from an albergue?

Thanks and hope you are enjoying it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
hi

Just wondering a few quick questions for those currently walking central route as i will be walking it next week

1. How busy is it? Do i need to book albergues or are they still fairly empty? Conscious its holidays in Europe
2. How hot is it at night as i cannot decide if just a sheet sleeping bag will be okay?
3. Anyone know any bed bug outbreaks to be aware of
4. Any accom other than auberges anyone has found thats really good for a night of sleep away from an albergue?

Thanks and hope you are enjoying it.
Walked it from Lisbon starting 5th April, very quiet to Porto, no issues at albergues for us. Temperatures were unseasonably hot at that time, sleeping bags were fine. No bed bugs issues. I think this subject is overstated. Lots of lovely accommodation other than albergues

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I just walked from Porto to Santiago. It was not busy until you get to Tui. I only needed my sleeping bag on a few nights but you should be fine with just a liner. No bed bugs, never heard of anyone having any issues and I never encountered bed bugs on the Frances. I think bed bugs are blown out of porportion - check “search” on the forum for more accurate info. Most towns have a casa rural or hotel (called hostel in Spain) they can accommodate you if you don’t want to stay in an albergue. I would start prebooking one day prior once you are past Barcelos.

Currently in Coimbra.
No issues getting albergues, no bed bugs. Currently 27c in the town. Generally hot and very dry.
Very fortunate to get a twin bed room in a guesthouse, in the center of town for 40 euros, prices are through the roof because of the Coldplay gig.
A sleeping bag liner has been fine so far.
Buen Camino... .

I’ve been walking the central route. I pre booked most of my accommodation. I know when I’ve stayed in the municipal albergues a few times they had space when I got there around 2pm, but then were booked up by about 4pm. I have spoken to others who never book, they just set off walking early (6/7am) and always find somewhere.

I agree with others, it’s very busy from Tui, a bit too busy, but was fine before then. I’m currently taking the espiritual route from Pontevedra and I think it was a good decision, a bit quieter but still many pilgrims.

I just brought a sleeping bag liner and have been fine with this. Also not come across and bed bugs.

I have just stayed at Hostel Charino in Pontevedra and it was great. It’s in the old town, clean and modern with a nice communal space (inside and out) for meeting other pilgrims. Also free washing and a good breakfast.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Currently in Valada - our accommodation now full. Where we stayed in VFdX pretty full too on the nights we were there, people reporting difficulties with accommodation, taking train back and forth first few days as we did. Municipal albergue at Azumbuja had one spare bed last night. No one mentioning bed bugs, warm at night - I'm not even in my liner. People are leaving around 0600, early mornings lovely and cool, hot after mid day, greatful we brought umbrellas.

We walked the Central route a couple of weeks ago.
On the Portuguese side
Not too busy, though we phoned the evening before arriving at a couple of places, just to check. Very helpful on the other end of the line.
A light sleeping bag was enough.
No bed Bugs.
We had a lovely time at the Oasis del Camino, about an hours walk past Ponte de Lima. Fully equipped tents, with air mattresses and blankets, really quiet, and good food. All for 20 Euros.
We switched to the coastal route at Valenca, no problems there neither.

Arrived in Santiago yesterday from Porto. Did not precook any accommodation. Stayed in a mix of municipal & private. Plenty of accommodation.Only place I would not stay in municipal is Padron as it is a one big room & usually has quite a few snorers & early risers rustling their plastic beds. Can recommend Albergue A Barca de Pedro run by Rebecca. Very good. No sign or mention of bed bugs.
Sleeping liner is fine as all accommodation has blankets if required.
Did not find the way overly busy.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I just walked from Porto to Santiago. It was not busy until you get to Tui. I only needed my sleeping bag on a few nights but you should be fine with just a liner. No bed bugs, never heard of anyone having any issues and I never encountered bed bugs on the Frances. I think bed bugs are blown out of porportion - check “search” on the forum for more accurate info. Most towns have a casa rural or hotel (called hostel in Spain) they can accommodate you if you don’t want to stay in an albergue. I would start prebooking one day prior once you are past Barcelos.
I just completed the Portuguese Central and I did encounter bedbugs. I’m not sure exactly where I picked them up, as it took a few days for them to flare, but I had a pretty bad reaction.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Can I ask you where you stayed?
The truth of the matter is that I don’t honestly know where I picked them up because it can take a few days for the bites to show. What I will say is that they can pop up anywhere, and all of the places I stayed were very clean and well-kept.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back