• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question about phoning/texting to and from Australia-advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopeful Australian

Time of past OR future Camino
HI, I'm leaving in a week ...:-o ... and have decided to take an mobile phone from home, but need to check whether it's unlocked.

If it isn't, I think that means I can't use it in Spain, or can I get something from Telstra so I can use it in Spain? (Sorry, I am way out of my depth here.)

Ideally I'd like to use my phone with a Spanish SIM, which I've heard are inexpensive.

If I can't use it in Spain, I have heard of buying a phone there .. is this expensive?

Can friends text me in Spain if I go the Spanish phone or Spanish Sim route? I'm a bit worried about one friend who texts a lot (first thing in the morning checkup that she is OK) but whose budget is small - I would not want her to run into extra expense.

Grateful for assistance,

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sorry I’m not too technical but here are a couple of ideas.
I take my unlocked iphone (any smartphone will do) and buy a Spansih SIM on arrival. There are several good packages for travellers - around 15-25 euros for a month (plenty).
Replace your iphone sim with the Spanish one, use as you wish for local calls and texts (fellow pilgrims on Spansih sims etc).
For calls outside of Spain you can use Skype if you are familiar with it and have an account with $ loaded (skype to phones) or just skype to skype calls to friends who use skype. International texts were quite pricey from Spain to Aus/NZ last time I was there but I think this is due to change this year or next.
Otherwise (if you need to ‘call’ or ‘text’ home a lot, turn the mobile to airplane mode and then turn on the wifi. There is wifi in most cafes (ask for password). You can then use free wifi to download emails and contact friends for free on platforms such as Whatsapp.
If your family/friends use this it is awsome (free) for overseas comms. You can send a quick whatsapp msg every few days to let them know you are having a ball. Also you can set up groups so you only send one message to lots of people.
Skype will also work on wifi if you need to make calls but you’ll need a skype account to call a phone.
I’m sure there are plenty of techno-pilgrims who can offer more advice. Cheers and buen camino @Hopeful Australian

HI, I'm leaving in a week ...:-o ... and have decided to take an mobile phone from home, but need to check whether it's unlocked.

If it isn't, I think that means I can't use it in Spain, or can I get something from Telstra so I can use it in Spain? (Sorry, I am way out of my depth here.)

Ideally I'd like to use my phone with a Spanish SIM, which I've heard are inexpensive.

If I can't use it in Spain, I have heard of buying a phone there .. is this expensive?

Can friends text me in Spain if I go the Spanish phone or Spanish Sim route? I'm a bit worried about one friend who texts a lot (first thing in the morning checkup that she is OK) but whose budget is small - I would not want her to run into extra expense.

Grateful for assistance,

Call Telstra and have them unlock your device if it is not already unlocked, do it ASAP, follow the unlocking instructions given and test it with another SIM card that is not Telstra.
With a prepaid Spanish SIM card you get free incoming calls and SMS's even if there is no credit on the account.
Here is a list of prepaid Spanish SIM cards with data.
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Spain

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Best option for me was to buy a Spanish sim card and use it in my unlocked ozi mobile. A moviestar shop provided me with a Tuenti deal (same network than Moviestar but cheaper ). You can charge it with a one month (unlimited calls and text) and choose how many Giga internet you want. Good thing is, if you download their app - they did all the set up graciously in the shop for me... just takes time - you can call and text using their app for free and not use your datas. (not all numbers work though, you just have to check).

Other best option is using wifi to text, lkke Messenger on facebook or Whatsapp - quite popular in Europe. Might sound technical but really all you have to do is download one chosen app.. ask you friend to download it too...and use it.

Buen Camino : )

An alternative to Whatsapp is viber. Works very well.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Once you get the phone working with a Spanish SIM you have lots of options. I use an app called 'line'. Free calls and text to others who have the app. Even video phone :)

As mentioned above. Just get telstra to unlock the phone. You can do that just by calling them.

We found "WhatsApp" good. Sounds similar to the one mentioned by Robo. It was the one that most of our family already use. Just don't forget that they might not appreciate a phone call in the middle of the night.....

Thanks to everyone. I'll see how I go unlocking from Telstra ... and as for the various ways to call others, I am more than grateful for advice,
but most of my near & dear are even less techno-savvy than I am. I envisage mostly texting or emailing them so they can read when awake.
I'll get a SIM in Spain I think .. and took note of the "aeroplane mode" advice, thank you .. I have often wondered what that is for. As you
can tell, I'm Very New to this Overseas Travel Lark.
Call Telstra and have them unlock your device if it is not already unlocked, do it ASAP, follow the unlocking instructions given and test it with another SIM card that is not Telstra.
With a prepaid Spanish SIM card you get free incoming calls and SMS's even if there is no credit on the account.
Here is a list of prepaid Spanish SIM cards with data.
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Spain

Thanks for this ... most grateful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks to everyone. I'll see how I go unlocking from Telstra ... and as for the various ways to call others, I am more than grateful for advice,
but most of my near & dear are even less techno-savvy than I am. I envisage mostly texting or emailing them so they can read when awake.
I'll get a SIM in Spain I think .. and took note of the "aeroplane mode" advice, thank you .. I have often wondered what that is for. As you
can tell, I'm Very New to this Overseas Travel Lark.

Thanks for this ... most grateful.

No need to go to airplane mode, that only applies when your Telstra SIM card is installed, when you have a Spanish SIM card installed, use your device like you would at home without fear of a crazy roaming bill.

OK, thanks people. I've now established that Telstra *think* my phone ought to be unlocked (we only have a wee shopfront here that was CROWDED)
and I have grey hair and was clutching a 3y-o phone. So I'll check it today with the Optus (&%$#!) SIM we normally use.

If it turns out to be useable, I'll take my current phone with me & buy a Spanish SIM. Can anyone advise about the cost to someone in Australia
who wants to text me .. I mean, is it 1. possible 2. expensive. I fear the answer will be "it depends on their plan" ... they may have to find that out themselves.

What a wonder the Internet is, and how far behind I feel at times! And yet, it brings me your support .. thank you very much.

@Hopeful Australian

(1) yes
(2) cheap to text by SMS

but free if you use wifi (which is available almost everywhere on the Camino Frances) and an app like "WhatsApp" or "Viber" mentioned above.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back