• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question re rain and shoes

frida1

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April 11-May 11 2014
Sorry to revisit the old shoe question, but I'm doing something different this year and have a question. My biggest problem is aching on the bottom of my feet, so for the Portuguese camino I have Hoka trail running shoes with super cushy soles. Usually I would have gortex trail shoes with a vibram sole. I waterproofed the shoes, but does anyone have advice on keeping feet dry if it gets really wet?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sealskinz socks. We used them with sandals on the Norte in pouring rain. They kept our feet dry and warm. They are thick - rather like a wetsuit for feet. They are supposed to be breathable but I would only use them when necessary.

http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/

Last edited:
I used the hoka' s and pretty much just realized my feet would get wet, though I bring extra socks to make sure I can at least be slightly less wet through out the day. I just learned from this forum that hoka now makes a goretex hiking boot, if you are still in the shopping for them phase called tor ultra...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sealskinz socks. We used them with sandals on the Norte in pouring rain. They kept our feet dry and warm. They are thick - rather like a wetsuit for feet. They are supposed to be breathable but I would only use them when necessary.

http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/

Hello,
I never heard of sealskinz before. Do you recommend we have a pair in the backpack? You say you ONLY pull them out if you are going to be in rain that day? We're going be starting the camino end of september? What about gloves? Do you think we need to bring them too? I feel like my backpack is getting heavier and heavier but dont want to wish i had the needed items.

any thoughts?

@Celestemesser I've never used them before when I wore lightweight non-waterproof Asics. My Asics would get wet but quickly "walk dry" and that was fine. I've always found on the Camino Frances it was sufficient to have a spare pair of dry socks to wear. I'm sure the Portuguese would be the same.

The only reason we took the Sealskinz this time was because we were in sandals and it was the Norte which is notorious for rain and mud (and is 840km long). I'd take them again if I was wearing sandals and expecting snow or cold rain. You won't get that at this time of the year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I decided to go ahead and order some waterproof socks from Dexshell. They're supposed to be lightweight and breathable, not adding warmth which I won't need. When they arrive I'll decide whether to take them. I know it should be relatively warm, so I may just be sure I always have dry socks to put on and not worry about it. Thanks for the replies.

For what its worth, I use polypro liner socks by themselves in the rain (inside Keen sandals). They are thin, dry quick, and will keep feet a bit warmer when wet. On the Frances in the summer, they would usually dry just from my body heat while walking in Galicia.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

So….. we had 1 inch of rain here at home in a 4 hour period. We found it and opportunity to test our packs/setup. We hiked 12 miles in pure downpour. We both wore shorts and no pack covers as mine...
I’ve been on Camino Norte for about eight days averaging around 30 to 35 km. I’ve gotten some blisters on the sides of my feet mostly the pinky toes and one on my big toe. I just came to the...
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
(Not sure where to put this post.) I make shampoo and conditioner bars and get requests for scents I don't have. I'd like to get an idea from camino walkers of which of the scents I make would...
Like a huge number of pilgrims I have an Osprey rucksack (EXOS 38), which is one of the best packs I’ve had over 40 years hiking. However, is it me, or a design fault that re-zipping the belt...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.