• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

…and my shoes are sold out (Altra help/recommendations!)

RevGreg

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer/Fall 2024
Hello all. I’ve got a relatively large shoe size (US14) and I love the Altra Olympus because they’re zero drop, super plush, and have a wide toe box. Problem is they’re sold out EVERYWHERE.

What to do?

I have trained quite a bit in the Altra lone peaks and am fairly confident I could use them, though as a big guy (250 lbs with pack) I like the plushness of the Olympus.

I’m also considering the Via Olympus, but I worry they won’t hold up as they aren’t really trail shoes.

Any other recommendations for plush, wide toe box, zero-drop type shoes?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello all. I’ve got a relatively large shoe size (US14) and I love the Altra Olympus because they’re zero drop, super plush, and have a wide toe box. Problem is they’re sold out EVERYWHERE.

What to do?

I have trained quite a bit in the Altra lone peaks and am fairly confident I could use them, though as a big guy (250 lbs with pack) I like the plushness of the Olympus.

I’m also considering the Via Olympus, but I worry they won’t hold up as they aren’t really trail shoes.

They are still available in black, size 14 men's, at SAIL in Canada! They're even on clearance price.

SAIL does not ship outside of Canada, but tell you what, if you desperately want them and don't live in Canada, I will order them for you and ship them to you at cost. (I live in Canada). That is, you pay me $161 CAD for one pair of shoes + cost of shipping to wherever you are.

Private message me if you want me to do this for you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Altra Timps are great shoes for Camino walking (more padding than the Lone Peaks). If you MUST HAVE Olympus, check eBay as I’ve had good luck buying Timps there

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Everyone has different feet as we all know. If you live within a reasonable distance to an REI or other such store with lots of different brands, go check them out yourself. Remember REI has a 1 year return policy. If you aren't happy with the shoe you pick you can get another brand.
Check out their policy here:
You can also order on line if you are brave enough to pick a shoe without a taste test first.

What to do?

I too use the altra but have become disappointed. Im on the Mozarabe right now and using the Olympus 5 with only 300 km they are having problems. I have brought my back up Altra escalade which i wore in last fall camino 1000k and they are still holding up. Not alot of sole but im 225 plus pack and they feel great and i think i might be using them shortly. I will be complaining to Altra when im finish. Also had the Lone all weather and they lasted 500km. Not happy. Perhaps you should try a different brand?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I swore by Altra until for the CF I needed more cushion in the sole, and shifted to Hokka. Had a great experience with that brand -- ordered the womens 12 to be delivered to my local REI, tried on both the Hokka and Altra, returned the Altra on-site.
Another point to consider is that this is the time of year when the new models are shipping out, and the old models have been discontinued, no longer to be restocked. Maybe try again in a few weeks to see if your local suppliers have the new models available?

What to do?

Try Topos. Similar zero drop. I like both, but prefer Topo. I started with Altra. I mostly wear Topo now. They have hiking boots, trail runners and regular running shoes. I wore these Trailventure 2s on my Camino last fall. See link. Looks like similar men’s shoes go up to size 15 on their website. I also took my regular trail runner’s thinking that I’d prefer them on the asphalt portions, but I never wore them. The boots were super comfortable.

Edit. I forgot to say. They are also wide toe box, natural foot shape.

What to do?

Try Poshmark! I have bought almost all my Camino gear, shoes and clothes from here. It’s a second-hand online store, but many items are new with tags or in like new condition. There is currently one pair of Men’s Altra Olympus in size 14: https://posh.mk/9CuZu0vRtHb

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

What to do?

The Topo Athletic ULTRAVENTURE 3 is the comparable plush trail shoe to the Olympus 5. It also has the best in class Vibram full outsole as opposed to the Olympus somewhat problematic Vibram inserts glued onto the midsole. I haven't tried this brand yet but they seem to be garnering very positive reviews.
I also use plush max-cushion trail shoes and love my Asics Trabuco Max 2 shoes. They work well for my 200 lbs). They can be found on sale in the US now as well. While they don't have as wide a toe-box as Altra and Topo they do have a pretty roomy toe-box and a minimal drop of 4mm.

The Topo Athletic ULTRAVENTURE 3 is the comparable plush trail shoe to the Olympus 5.
However, it's not a zero drop shoe.

Screenshot_20240225_082539_Firefox.jpg

However, it's not a zero drop shoe.

View attachment 164969

No its not. I also prefer zero-drop (I wear Altras as my daily sneaker), but 5mm is still very minimal. That's what my Asics Trabuco Max2 have and I have been able to adapt seamlessly.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I swore by Altra until for the CF I needed more cushion in the sole, and shifted to Hokka. Had a great experience with that brand -- ordered the womens 12 to be delivered to my local REI, tried on both the Hokka and Altra, returned the Altra on-site.
Another point to consider is that this is the time of year when the new models are shipping out, and the old models have been discontinued, no longer to be restocked. Maybe try again in a few weeks to see if your local suppliers have the new models available?
I have found some Hoka models to have very restrictive toe-boxes and other Hoka models to be more spacious. They should be tried on for fit. Though Hoka online site has a good return policy too.

What to do?

My husband was walking with Lone Peaks, but he is now liking the Altra Provision shoes. He said they are a little more cushioned, very light and the tread is lasting longer. I am a Loan Peak devotee (which I wore on my Camino), so I can’t personally speak to the Provisions, but he likes them.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm trying a pair of Altra Mont Blanc shoes at the moment. More cushioning than the Lone Peaks I am used to, but a little less than the Olympus. I like them so far. Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️

Try Topos. Similar zero drop. I like both, but prefer Topo. I started with Altra. I mostly wear Topo now. They have hiking boots, trail runners and regular running shoes. I wore these Trailventure 2s on my Camino last fall. See link. Looks like similar men’s shoes go up to size 15 on their website. I also took my regular trail runner’s thinking that I’d prefer them on the asphalt portions, but I never wore them. The boots were super comfortable.

Edit. I forgot to say. They are also wide toe box, natural foot shape.
Topo Trailventures are not zero drop. Heel is 33mm and forefoot is 28mm for a 5mm drop.

I'm trying a pair of Altra Mont Blanc shoes at the moment. More cushioning than the Lone Peaks I am used to, but a little less than the Olympus. I like them so far. Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️
I used these on my Camino and they held up beautifully for the whole Frances and would have been able to keep going had I not put them in a hot dryer when they were a bit damp and they shrank juuuust a bit sadly. I wear Lone Peaks daily and I really appreciated the extra cushion on the Mont Blancs. One word of warning on them is they like to tighten up across the forefoot when doing up the laces. I had to be very careful to ensure the most toe-ward lace had a bit of slack in it.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I used these on my Camino and they held up beautifully for the whole Frances and would have been able to keep going had I not put them in a hot dryer when they were a bit damp and they shrank juuuust a bit sadly. I wear Lone Peaks daily and I really appreciated the extra cushion on the Mont Blancs. One word of warning on them is they like to tighten up across the forefoot when doing up the laces. I had to be very careful to ensure the most toe-ward lace had a bit of slack in it.
One review I read of the Mont Blancs showed alternative lacing patterns to aid with issues such as this. Here is the link: https://www.wildfiresports.com.au/blog/our-blog/shoe-lacing-styles/

I always replace the standard laces with elastic lock laces, so I don't have problems with tight spots.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks!! They’re completely changing the Mont Blancs this year so I may try to pick up a couple pairs of the current model since they did so well.
Ah, that must be why I got mine at 35% off normal retail price.

Ah, that must be why I got mine at 35% off normal retail price.
Yep! They’ve reworked the Timp to be closer to the previous Mont Blanc so that may be a decent option. I’ll definitely try a pair on when I can. I did a side by side of the Mont Blanc and the last Timp and the Mont Blanc was a bit more comfortable

What to do?

I have the Topo Ultraventure 3 and - after years in Altras - I am a total convert. They are plush, have a wide toe box and are 5mm drop. They do have a couple models with 0 drop, too. Some podiatrists don't like zero drop https://www.gothamfootcare.com/blog...alking with little to no,the rest of the body.
I got mine in extra wide. I'm taking em on the Camino, but as usual, will likely walk most of it in my Chaco sandals.

btw, REI doesn't have size 14. They told me the Women's don't come in Wide, too. Both of those are available on the Topo website.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

What to do?

Hoka speedgoat in wide May be your ticket!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just checked amazon and they have the Altra Timp’s 5 in size 14. They are cushiony. In between olympus and Altra feel.
I tried Timps a couple of years ago, and the wore out and fell apart quite quickly (only a couple hundred miles). That's when I switched to the Olympus and they are now my go-to shoe. Maybe the Timps are more robust nowadays, but they certainly don't have the sole cushioning of the Olympus. I also found that for Lone Peaks I could feel the rocks on the trail! Good luck!

I tried Timps a couple of years ago, and the wore out and fell apart quite quickly (only a couple hundred miles). That's when I switched to the Olympus and they are now my go-to shoe. Maybe the Timps are more robust nowadays, but they certainly don't have the sole cushioning of the Olympus. I also found that for Lone Peaks I could feel the rocks on the trail! Good luck!
I’m with you Bob. !
The Lone peaks feel like they have no support.
I tried to buy Olympus in USA in Aug 2023 in REI but they didn’t have them - I bought the Timps 🤔😩. For wearing in spain late September. They were sooo sooo comfy BUT they started to perish very fast in the upper fabric. Less than 10 days walking … (& not long days either )..
the fabric on the Timps wasn’t strong like the Lone peaks or brooks or any other shoe. It was a weave and once it broke a strand it started to fall apart. I glued and used tape up finish the walk. Comfort was great though.
In January I was USA and went to REI. their return policy only works for 3 months for non members. (It had just passed that since my previous trip to USA ). I took out the membership then. It covers you for returns for 12 months they tell me.

I’ll try to find a pic of the Timps. They look as wounded as me. 🤣
Ps I wore speedgoats in 2022 on Mozárabe but the toe box was a tiny bit too narrow for me. I liked the vibram sole.

I’m trying the new Brooks Ghost Max (wide) for upcoming camino .
(See thread about this shoe /brooks ghost max - posted by @C clearly )

Attachments

• IMG_7714.jpeg
    IMG_7714.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7715.jpeg
    IMG_7715.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.