• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rachael Call home. Last heard from in Astorga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianpilgrim2008

Time of past OR future Camino
2008, October
Has anyone seen my daughter Rachael Bartram from Canada in the last week? Last phone call home was Monday, May 25 from Astorga, Spain. She is walking alone and with all the concerning news in this area of late we are very anxious to hear from her. If anyone knows of her whereabouts please get in touch. Thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Has anyone seen my daughter Rachael Bartram from Canada in the last week? Last phone call home was Monday, May 25 from Astorga, Spain. She is walking alone and with all the concerning news in this area of late we are very anxious to hear from her. If anyone knows of her whereabouts please get in touch. Thanks.
Just to let you know, a lot of the stops in the stretch out of Astorga are very rural, some don't even have internet. So I wouldn't worry too much, not hearing doesn't shock me.

That said, I hope someone has news for you soon to allay your fears.

I am sure those who see this that might come in contact with your daughter will be more than happy to let her know that you are concerned, and have asked for her to get in touch.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Usually there is nothing to worry about because these gaps in communication do happen quite regularly among pilgrims. On my recent Camino I dropped my phone in the toilet and it died...my husband didn't hear from me for three days until I could borrow someone's phone to text him the news and another three days before I got to a phone to call him. It might be helpful to know how often Rachael was calling home prior to Astorga. Was it on a regular basis (how many days between calls)? Also, was she calling on her own phone or was she looking for pay phones? In other words, is this a significant deviation from the communication you were previously receiving from her? This information may be helpful in determining whether people on the forum may want to be more proactive in communications.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Usually there is nothing to worry about because these gaps in communication do happen quite regularly among pilgrims. On my recent Camino I dropped my phone in the toilet and it died...my husband didn't hear from me for three days until I could borrow someone's phone to text him the news and another three days before I got to a phone to call him. It might be helpful to know how often Rachael was calling home prior to Astorga. Was it on a regular basis (how many days between calls)? Also, was she calling on her own phone or was she looking for pay phones? In other words, is this a significant deviation from the communication you were previously receiving from her? This information may be helpful in determining whether people on the forum may want to be more proactive in communications.
Please let us know!

Based on the date you last heard from her, if she is on the typical pilgrim schedule, she is probably between Villafranca and Sarria today. I have attached phone numbers for the Albergues in those areas (you could also look them up online and write to them). There is probably nothing to worry about. It is a very safe walk and there are tons of wonderful kind and helpful people every step of the way. She is going through a mountainous area and probably just got caught up in what she is doing. One does not think about making phone calls while walking. However, I understand your concern and if she were my daughter, I would want to find out where she is. I assume you have checked Facebook and Instagram. Also her cell phone bill (online) will let you know the last time she used her phone for anything (but this doesn't help in the case of a lost phone). Please let us know as soon as you hear from her. And for anyone reading this who hasn't called home in awhile (young or old), please let the people who love you know you are okay; they don't realize how easy it is to lose sight of time while walking the Camino.IMG_0819[1].JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0820[1].JPG
    IMG_0820[1].JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Note: There should be two images attached to my post.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I see that it has been a week. Have you heard from her? :)

Based on the date you last heard from her, if she is on the typical pilgrim schedule, she is probably between Villafranca and Sarria today. I have attached phone numbers for the Albergues in those areas (you could also look them up online and write to them). There is probably nothing to worry about. It is a very safe walk and there are tons of wonderful kind and helpful people every step of the way. She is going through a mountainous area and probably just got caught up in what she is doing. One does not think about making phone calls while walking. However, I understand your concern and if she were my daughter, I would want to find out where she is. I assume you have checked Facebook and Instagram. Also her cell phone bill (online) will let you know the last time she used her phone for anything (but this doesn't help in the case of a lost phone). Please let us know as soon as you hear from her. And for anyone reading this who hasn't called home in awhile (young or old), please let the people who love you know you are okay; they don't realize how easy it is to lose sight of time while walking the Camino.View attachment 18902

What a wondeful thing to do.

Have you heard from your daughter yet? I am praying that she is safe and will be nudged by some angels to pick up the phone and call her Dad!
Stay in peace ...don't be afraid...big hugs from Canada.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I hope that you have heard from your daughter already. Do let us know.

Canadianpilgrim2008 there is no way to vet the information you are telling us but assuming what you are telling us is true I have several questions. How often was your daughter calling to report back to you? Was she was calling back on a very regular basis, say every day or every other day? If so then a week is a long time to not call. Was she using a credit card to withdraw funds from a bank? Can you find out the last time she withdrew money and what were the average withdrawals during the time up to the last time you heard from her? This is important. Start today by contacting the alburgues suggested by julieandpeter in the above post. Have someone that can speak Spanish with you if you can. Now what other people are suggesting in this thread about keeping a cool head is correct. Don't jump to conclusions. Nevertheless considering that at the top right hand of this very thread is a missing person poster for a woman who disappeared in the Astorga area two months ago is reason to be concerned. Now I know I'm going to get some flak over this post but for over a month people minced words about the Denise Thiem disappearance. No one wanted to say what was on their mind. This whole thread about crime on the Camino came about because of her disappearance. Maybe this is a false alarm. We all certainly hope so. Still if this woman is not found in the next day and I was her father, I'd be contacting the Spanish police.

Last edited:
I have still not receive a phone call from Rachael but went to our bank this morning and was able to find out that her bank debit card has been accessed along the camino for small amounts of cash. (in amounts that would seem appropriate). Her last withdrawal was Friday, May 29 from Villafranca. Even though we have not heard from her, we are feeling relieved to know that her debit card is traveling in a westerly direction and the days walking from Astorga to Villafranca seem correct. She is not traveling with a cell phone and was trying to use a phone card. I will post again when we actually hear from her. Thank you camino community for your concern and advice.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
That is good news. Based on her pace, she will probably be in Sarria today or tomorrow. It is a large town and it is very likely she will call you from there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have still not receive a phone call from Rachael but went to our bank this morning and was able to find out that her bank debit card has been accessed along the camino for small amounts of cash. (in amounts that would seem appropriate). Her last withdrawal was Friday, May 29 from Villafranca. Even though we have not heard from her, we are feeling relieved to know that her debit card is traveling in a westerly direction and the days walking from Astorga to Villafranca seem correct. She is not traveling with a cell phone and was trying to use a phone card. I will post again when we actually hear from her. Thank you camino community for your concern and advice.
That's good news. And, again, if someone who usually keeps in good contact would have a stretch where it would be difficult......that would be the first stretch I'd think of. A lot of rural albuergues/towns....some of the most "cool" to stop at in that stretch have the least in terms of internet etc. So it really makes sense to me that she could have fallen out of touch. It's just a bad coincidence that it is also the stretch with the missing woman, hence heightening your fears. The bank account withdrawls are pretty convincing. She must be fine.

I am glad to read your post that her ATM card is been used, this is very positive. I am not in that region but yesterday for most of the day I had no phone service all day., so it can come and go. Nor did anyone I spoke to have service. So I pray that your daughter just can't get her hands on a phone card or service and will be in touch as soon as she does.
Thoughts, positivity and prayers going your way.
Rita

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A word for all of the walkers whose relatives are nervous: there are not only about a thousand places you can use the free wifi on the Camino Frances. (Works great if you're carrying a wifi capable device.) There are also a lot of albergues and some public libraries where you can use a public computer to send an email. This does wonders for the relatives' blood pressure. Last year on the Frances I tried to email if the internet at the computer I was using was incapable of posting to my blog. (Some of them, either because the software is ancient or the network has limitations, don't deal well with Blogspot.) My daughter forwarded the emails around to people who might be interested. This also allowed her to seek advice for things she didn't know what to do about. (Animal care issues, mostly.) And when we were delayed in our return home, I made sure to email her about that, too.

I guess we should start posting stuff about the importance of a formal communications plan agreed upon (or not) by both parties (sender and receiver).

Maybe someone could start a list of public phones (which are getting rare), internet cafes (also getting rare), places offering wifi, and cell phone dead zones.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good news indeed. Yes please people, old or young, make planned arrangements for calls and emails. The worst thing is not knowing and while you are having a great time for the 5 or 6 days you are in your own head space...the head space of the people who are waiting to hear if you are ok is definitely one of worry and fretting if not all out panic. Be kind and respectful to the people at home, who in small ways are also part of this journey, and make sure you keep contact in some way and schedule absolute days where you will make the necessary phone call/email happen no matter what...
I am travelling this summer on my own to the Dominican for several weeks to explore and celebrate my 50th and will be making sure calls..set dates...that my Mother will hear from me. After losing her son this year I can't imagine letting her fret and worry because I'm having too good of a time to be responsible and respectful of my little hobbit mama. Just sayin'...

I guess we should start posting stuff about the importance of a formal communications plan agreed upon (or not) by both parties (sender and receiver).

Maybe someone could start a list of public phones (which are getting rare), internet cafes (also getting rare), places offering wifi, and cell phone dead zones.
I agree. For many people the Camino is a chance to disconnect and get away from it all. If that is the case, please let loved ones know that is your intention so that they don't worry. I don't think every walker should necessarily have to keep in regular contact - perhaps that is the purpose of their pilgrimage. But be clear about your intentions so they can have appropriate expectations. Of course, I hope this young traveller touches base with home when she arrives in Santiago and I send best wishes to her parents.

Usually I always travel alone , and When abroad i rarely do Phone calls since it is too much expensive , but the simple thing i do , is just sending a text message every day to my Family to make them know i'm ok ,,, It won't take more than 1 min either the morning or the night ,,,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Usually I always travel alone , and When abroad i rarely do Phone calls since it is too much expensive , but the simple thing i do , is just sending a text message every day to my Family to make them know i'm ok ,,, It won't take more than 1 min either the morning or the night ,,,

At this time, it is especially important to maintain contact. Later, when the issues on the problematic stretch are resolved, I'm sure there will be less anxiety.

I hope Rachel has contacted home,is well and enjoying the Camino
This also works for me. I carry a simple mobile phone and use it to send/receive texts and make a phone call if needed. This way I am easily contactable by family Periodically I will use internet cafes or albergue computers to check emails or book flights home.
Maura

I agree. For many people the Camino is a chance to disconnect and get away from it all. If that is the case, please let loved ones know that is your intention so that they don't worry. I don't think every walker should necessarily have to keep in regular contact - perhaps that is the purpose of their pilgrimage. But be clear about your intentions so they can have appropriate expectations. Of course, I hope this young traveller touches base with home when she arrives in Santiago and I send best wishes to her parents.
precisely. I'd never take a cell phone on pilgrimage (I don't even take one on normal vacation). And I mostly try to avoid the internet on Camino. We did take an iPod touch with us last time (purchased in Pamplona at the last minute) because we realized that traveling with a baby we needed it---but I wouldn't take it with me again.

But if you establish a pattern of calling/texting, you need to give warning before cutting it off. Not because there is anything wrong with going silent, but because people will worry if they aren't warned

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
please keep us posted when you do actually speak to her or get an email?
:) POSITIVE THOUGHTS GOING OUT TO YOU

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, please let us know when you've heard her voice. She belongs to the Camino family now, and many people care about her!

Rachael is back on the radar! Received a call from her this evening. Her email account had been compromised and she was borrowing phones when people offered along the way to phone home. We have arranged a predetermined time that she will call next. I will save the lecture for when she returns. Having walked the camino myself in 2008, I know about the camino bubble where you feel safe and everyday you meet so many kind and amazing people not imagining that your mother is worrying about your safety and would appreciate a message of well being. Thank you all for your kind thoughts and well wishes.

Rachael is back on the radar! Received a call from her this evening. Her email account had been compromised and she was borrowing phones when people offered along the way to phone home. We have arranged a predetermined time that she will call next. I will save the lecture for when she returns. Having walked the camino myself in 2008, I know about the camino bubble where you feel safe and everyday you meet so many kind and amazing people not imagining that your mother is worrying about your safety and would appreciate a message of well being. Thank you all for your kind thoughts and well wishes.
So glad to hear it! You're a wise mother too.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Great to hear!

Outstanding!!! So good to hear.
☺☺☺☺☺☺

Thank you for letting us know!!

I am so happy she called! As a mother who has been through this with my daughter, I totally relate to the fear and then relief when they finally do call;)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Good news!! I'm very happy for your family and thank you for reporting back.

So glad! Try to hold the anxiety of the past week in your heart when you deliver the lecture....it is so easy to go from planning the funeral desperation to sheer exasperation as soon as you hear the voice!!! Good call to wait - will give both of you time to think!

Fantastic news for sure!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great news!! Was anxious there for a bit... Glad to hear she's ok,

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Goodness...I can't tell you how relieved I am to hear that. So so so happy to hear she is well.

Truly great news. So happy for you and thanks for letting us know.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will save the lecture for when she returns. Having walked the camino myself in 2008, I know about the camino bubble where you feel safe and everyday you meet so many kind and amazing people not imagining that your mother is worrying about your safety and would appreciate a message of well being.
I am glad you now know that she was safe. But a lecture? Really? Perhaps you should rehearse it in the mirror before you put it in the bin.

I have been an advocate for full disclosure of crime along the Camino, and I do not think panic is being induced by discussing the events. We have had several people looking for family in the past. However, I cannot miss the connection between this thread and discussion on the disappearance of Denise Thiem. While pilgrims are maintaining their balance on relative danger, I am not sure that everyone is.

Not getting a phone call from someone as they pass Astorga is not a certain indicator of an abduction. Members are happy to do a lot of hand-holding for nervous pilgrims, a very good thing on our part. I am uncertain if catering to the anxiety of non-pilgrims is a burden we should be expected to bear. I am uncertain, that is all.:confused:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am glad you now know that she was safe. But a lecture? Really? Perhaps you should rehearse it in the mirror before you put it in the bin.
Dougfitz: we don't know what their agreement was on communication and, with the concern about safety on that leg out of Astorga, I assume they probably agreed to some kind of communication. On the other hand, I think it really was just a figure of speech...I can think of many times I have made the same comment after my daughter forgot to call. I think it was just a sigh of relief...

I am uncertain if catering to the anxiety of non-pilgrims is a burden we should be expected to bear. I am uncertain, that is all.
@falcon269, I think it is possible to support reasonable requests where they are made to let pilgrims know that their lack of contact with someone claiming to be a family member or friend is a concern, but generally no more than that.

Dougfitz: we don't know what their agreement was on communication and, with the concern about safety on that leg out of Astorga, I assume they probably agreed to some kind of communication. On the other hand, I think it really was just a figure of speech...I can think of many times I have made the same comment after my daughter forgot to call. I think it was just a sigh of relief...
@LauraK, you are correct, we don't know. But equally, to assume that there was some agreement might be just as fraught. Perhaps the threat of a lecture was just a figure of speech. But it seems terribly clumsy if it is, and completely unnecessary if it wasn't. I think in a similar position I would be happy to know my child was safe, and make a mental note to myself to make sure that this was discussed and any of my concerns explained during the planning for whatever adventure was going to be undertaken next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.