• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain mittens

Stivandrer

Perambulating & Curious. Rep stravaiging offender
Time of past OR future Camino
I´ve got Camino plans until 2042,
- or till I fall flat on my face, whichever comes first !!
Much to my dismay, I cannot find rain mittens, except for children, in my own country.
Strange, as noone takes well to drenched gloves and hands in this wet winter we´re having.....
So for me to train for stretches with walking sticks and pack, I need somewhere to buy, say Mountain Laurel gear here in Europe. Am tired of using small shopping bags ...
If I buy from the US it´s ½ goods and ½ postage which is nonsense.
Does anyone have a good European warehouse to do business with in this matter !??

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Stivandrer, I have issues with Renaud’s Syndrome so my hands get cold easily! I tool liner mittens and covers on our April Camino. The liners alone were great for warmth but if the wind or rain whipped up I put the outer covers on. There worked great and were very lightweight. Mine were by Outdoor Research Sensor mitts. They are pricey, but I actually use the liners all the time and have continued to periodically use the outer covers.. Liz

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I bow to the creativity of kitsambler and Charles Zammit. I did look up waterproof mittens and came up with a site where the mittens cost as much as a return Ryanair flight, so didn’t bother posting it. Two brilliant ideas, hope Stivandrer agrees!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Takk, jeg forstår skam norsk. De ser fine ud, vil nok undgå farven jordbær!

Thanks , they´re looking good, will check! Want to avoid the strawberry colour, though!

Hi Stivandrer- yes, who needs wet hands? Do you have Decathlon stores in your country? They seem to be all over Europe and sell inexpensive lightweight waterproof mitts.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
While not a "mitten" I do recommend lightweight microfiber gloves made for runners. They are also called runner's gloves. Usually, they come with grippy dots on the palms, and sometimes special fingertips that allow you to use a smartphone with the gloves still on.

I find mine in discount stores (e.g. Target) or online. I just bought a pair online, from Target.

Locally, try sports shops that sell clothing for runners. If you live in a temperate or cold climate, they should be readily available. Here in Florida, I have not found a shop that sells gloves in the winter...go figure...

These gloves are thin enough to allow you to do things with them on, they wick moisture and rain saturation FAST, and they dry rapidly.

Hope this helps.

I now know how picky I am; I need at thin over-mitten like the Laurel Mountain E-vent rain mitts .

The ones I have found now on the net and the ones that have been suggested to me have a thin insulation, which I don´t nescessarily need as I have very good wool finger gloves that I want covered watertight and they will take up to much room. The reason I do not want the large normal ones used for skiing is that they need to pack well as a supplement on the camino when the sky opens for a day in winter, say...

I may have to dip Into my pockets and go for shopping in the US, where the postage to Europe is the same amount as the product itself and @ t2andero, did I have the guts to sew myself, I would/should make them myself !!

But as often, you would like the solution to be right in front of you to buy, instead of using resources to get it sent from another continent....

Last edited:
I have used thin waterproof (more or less) mittens that I bought at a Canadian running store. They can be worn alone or over a thin liner. I have done both. The store is now selling a version that are made by North Face - so they should be fairly widely available. Here is the link to the store -- they mittens are on sale now!

https://ca.shop.runningroom.com/men/north-face-runners-3-overmitt-a6n5.html

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
har set dem, er møj store, kan ikke vaskes. Vil gerne have nogen lette og foldelige, men tak

Have seen these, thanks

Have seen these, thanks
De nada.

Yep, de ligner nærmest noget fra en ABC-dragt.

I'm having trouble locating something that's both suitable and affordable myself, so I'm contemplating getting hold of some silnylon (or some such) and sewing my own. Naturally I'd need to seam-seal them, and perhaps also apply a bit of silicone or latex to the gripping surfaces.

Shouldn't be that hard to do. Mañana.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
An experiment long delayed is to cut the sleeves off an old rain jacket and use them as hand gaiters. The cuffs go around your wrists inside or outside the rain jacket sleeves depending on whether you are using poles or not. Cut fleece sleeves or something could be used as supplemental liners. The advantages would be protection from rain and wind with ventilation and no removal to get free use of your hands. I'm not sure what to do for pole use where your forearms are horizontal.

Finally, found the magic mittens to fit my specifications :
Montane Minimus Mitt Black, British make, and they sure know how to fend off rain!
44 grams and folds into a small stuff bag that fits your pocket.

Wifes reaction:
Yeez, that cost you the price of two sets of your favourite wool socks from Icebreaker....
Yea, cheap, ain´it. Real bargain...
-That´s not what I meant !!

anyway, now I do not have to cover my gloved hands with two blue bags from the local chemists when in a cold rain far from home ....

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.