• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rain...rain pants?

Makaala

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
What is usual rainfall on the Frances route in September and should I bring rain pants as well as a jacket?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I found myself drenched and knee deep in torrential rain and fast flowing rain run-off on the Frances near Estella this September. But on most days it was warm and dry. You can meet almost any sort of weather. In summer I would just take a jacket and try to dry off later if the weather turns nasty.

View attachment VID_20230902_123951.mp4

What is usual rainfall on the Frances route in September and should I bring rain pants as well as a jacket?
Depending on how cold it is shorts can work well.

A light, reusable poncho or raincoat is also good. Key word being light. Not sure you'll get enough use out of rain pants to bring them, and many types can be quite heavy and non-breathable.

When it rains heavy it's often just a shower so take shelter til it passes instead of getting drenched. If you do get soaked or it's a miserable day in general, it's a good time to just walk a shorter distance - also a good idea to book ahead or at least try to find out whether there is availability at your planned stop. Nothing worse than being soaked through and having to walk another 10km because everywhere is fully booked.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In warmer weather (like September) I would rather be bare legged than in a sauna suit rain pants.
This site is great for historical weather patterns on the Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola @Makaala IMHO it really depends upon whether you can tolerate cold wet legs (if you wear shorts) or cold wet trousers clinging to your legs. If you are in the first group then yes you could leave the rain pants behind. If however you prefer long legs (trousers!) then maybe the rain pants can come along. Its all up to you. Cheers

Wear shorts. Skin is waterproof.
A lot more waterproof than any rain pants I´ve ever worn. Much more important is keeping the stuff in your backpack dry so you have dry clothes to change into. Your hiking pants etc can dry overnight. Keep your change/spare clothes in drysacs. Agua es agua.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have Frogg Togg rain pants and bring them on every Camino (I don't walk in summer). Although I've not needed them often, I have definitely appreciated them on a few cold, windy, rainy days I have encountered. They seem breathable imo, and they weigh very little.

I wouldn't bother with rain pants. I would bring a poncho - the type designed for carrying a backpack. You can get a good one at Decathalon in Spain for 25 Euros. It covers a lot more than your legs for comparable weight, including keeping your pack, head and torso dry. We hit crazy rain this fall in Spain, and the ponchos worked liked a dream - much better than a rain jacket/pack cover/rain pants system, IMHO. This was a complete change of position for me, learned the hard way over two long fall caminos.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Rain kilt weighs 78 grams fits in shorts leg pocket!
On and off quickly works great!
Hi Woody...Yankee the dog's owner.😉How is a kilt much different than a wicking pair of shorts since both leave your lower legs exposed in cold/rainy weather. Is it because it keeps your undies dry underneath? And do you put it on quickly even over a pair of long pants?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes. A brief shower is usually not a problem. But on a rainy day no rain pants = wet socks = wet feet = blisters. To keep walking you need to keep your feet dry.
I wore sock liners, waterproof socks and hiking sandals last week - only one day of rain but many stream crossings and this combo kept me dry all day, and the sandals dry quicker than shoes.

Go with what MesaWalker stated. Get a Poncho, eliminating a rain jacket, rain pants and a pack rain cover. Now, imagine the other possible uses for the poncho, when not raining...as an added blanket in albergues, or, if the bed is less than acceptable but too late to find another bed...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We had ten days of rain in Galicia this October, leaving in early September would have been better. I changed to Goretex shoes in Villa Franco but I should have applied my gaiters too. My pants were fast drying and I prefer the multi use of a Goretx jacket instead of a poncho.

Another +1 for just a pair of quick-drying shorts. I faced the same dilemma and decided against the rain pants. I figured if it's that wet then rain pants or not your feet are going to end up drenched, and you'll gain little in having dry legs. Top half is much more important to keep warm and dry.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Woody...Yankee the dog's owner.😉How is a kilt much different than a wicking pair of shorts since both leave your lower legs exposed in cold/rainy weather. Is it because it keeps your undies dry underneath? And do you put it on quickly even over a pair of long pants?

Hi Chrissy!
So far on my Caminos i have only worn the zip off bottoms of my trousers on the plane out of UK!
I wear shorts for about 9 months of the year. ( wore them in mid December still about 10 C here)
Don't mind my lower legs getting wet; but i hate it as the rain runs of your jacket and slowly seeps through to my mankini🤣!
The other reason is i have a form of vertigo and that combined with my vision make my balance awful! Standing on one leg in the rain trying to put a muddy boot down i waterproof trouser leg is asking for a muddy bum!
The kilt is on and off in seconds; pull it out of its stuff sack that is part of the kilt wrap it round your done !
Forgot to add all my important stuff is in the 7 pockets of my shorts ; so i need to keep them dry.

I wore sock liners, waterproof socks and hiking sandals last week - only one day of rain but many stream crossings and this combo kept me dry all day, and the sandals dry quicker than shoes.
I used the same combo on days with torrential rain, and days with lots of mud. Worked great!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Personally, I hate rain pants. Your legs still get wet due to sweat or relentless, driving rain. Then, the rain pants make things more miserable. Shorts and wet legs is the way to go I think. Legs dry fast. Walking in the rain isn't bad as long as it's not cold out.

I don't like rain pants either. I don't like to wear shorts. When it rains I have an umbrella at top, a rain jacket with hood down, neck open next, then an incredibly lightweight rain kilt, next superlight knee high gaiters, last, Gore-tex synthetic boots. Think of me as overlapping roof shingles without the gutters. I stay cool and dry. As Woody says, the kilt is easy on easy off, usually last on first off. Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Can’t comment on Sept, but Oct & Nov 23 experienced a lot of rain & wind. So glad we had rainpaints! Like most gear- not all rainpants are created equal!
We took lightweight waterproof breathable Macpac alpine ones- they fold into a tiny pocket & dry quickly. Comfy to wear with short or long pants/leggings.
Expensive, but had used many times on multiday hikes before the Camino & still in good condition for future use, so we see as a good investment- especially living in a rainy country!

I walked Frances from SJPdP in September 21 and wore my rain pants twice when it rained very heavily. I brought my rain pants this October for Camino Ingles and even though it rained every darned day I did not wear them (although my sister did wear hers). A good poncho should cover you to almost the knees.

My preference would be the Altus poncho/raincoat, which you can purchase from the Forum Store, Caminoteca in Pamplona, or reserve at Boutique du Pelerine in St Jean Pied de Port.
It's a great option because it completely covers your backpack, has long sleeves, and a full zip front which helps with ventilation.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ok, old backpacker trick. If you have to wash everything, just wear your rain gear like commando style. Its fun.

I was grateful for my rain pants when I walked in September/October 2022. The rain pants were flared and somewhat protected my boots from getting too wet. I wore the rain pants without shorts or trousers on days ithe rain was constant. I wouldn’t walk the Camino without them in my backpack.

I walked Sept 23 till Nov 2nd 2022. I wore shorts exclusively until Astorga and lightweight quick dry hiking pants after that on colder wet days.

Did not get any day long rainy days until after Ponferrada. I wore a rain poncho with my shorts/pants.

Realize the poncho is mostly to keep your pack/gear dry. You will sweat like crazy walking with rain gear on. I was drenched through under my poncho, but I had dry clothes after the day's walk.

My advice: skip the rain pants.

Jim

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
An observation...it seems more men on this thread prefer shorts (or sometimes kilts) in rain and even in colder weather.
I notice more women speak up for bringing rain pants and use them if needed. A few posts I am uncertain if they are male or female.

I LOVE my rain pants. I would not like to be walking in shorts with water running down my legs into my shoes and socks. One thing I didn't see mentioned, is that rain pants are useful for more than rainy days--they can provide an extra layer of insulation on windy or cold days. And, if you ever want to wash all of your pants at one time, you can put on your rain pants and do the whole load of laundry.

I've walked the Camino 3 times--one on the Frances, in late September 2019 when it rained nonstop the last 6 days. For me, rainpants are a must. I used them every Camino. Get lightweight ones. They can be used as warmth too if need be.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That's why I bring my rain pants; for potential cold as much as rain...you never know what weather you are gonna get day to day. They are only a tiny addition of space and weight in my backpack, so totally worth it even if I only need them a few times.
That said, I do agree when they are needed unexpectedly, they aren't exactly fun to put on at the last minute.

I walked middle of May to end of June. I purchased rain pants before I left but decided to leave them at home. Did not need them as I just hiked in shorts in the rain as did just about everybody else I seen. Not to sure if its a lot colder in September than May-June

We experienced the torrential rains of Galicia in late October. We stuck to our regular daily attire of shorts, t-shirts (long-sleeve if morning was cool) with rain ponchos on top. It is worth spending the money for a GOOD poncho. The less expensive one from Amazon did not live up to its billing of 'waterproof' and after getting drenched one day, scoured Santiago and found an Altus to wear for the remaining days to Finisterre and Muxia. It's already in my pack waiting for another camino this year.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just use a pair of jeans and army boots, with thick woollen socks -- and as long as you can keep the rain off your body, back, backside, back of the legs (by whatever means), it can be enough, though I do realise I'm unusual with my jeans, but other sort of legwear can be fine of course.

The natural fabric is a necessary for me personally, else I would get extremely sweaty, but then because of my pretty radiant body heat it dries quickly enough when it gets wet. But that's just me.

Broad hat and a hood to keep the water off your face & hair, and out of your eyes, and some system to keep the inside of your backpack protected are what everyone needs in any case.

But on a rainy day no rain pants = wet socks = wet feet = blisters.
With jeans and a pair of high leather boots with thick rubber (hiking-compatible) soles, personally on rainy days, including full-on Galician rain, it was bone dry socks, dry feet, and no blisters (except one in the 8½ months of Camino walking in 2022, but that was in the summer heat).

The trousers at shin level did of course get wet, but that was outside the leather.

It's not impossible to walk with dry feet in even heavy rain -- though the best solutions for each pilgrim individually will vary greatly.

Yes. A brief shower is usually not a problem. But on a rainy day no rain pants = wet socks = wet feet = blisters. To keep walking you need to keep your feet dry.
How do rain trousers keep your socks dry?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have windproof over-trousers that I will wear when temperatures are well below zero but I have never found a need for rain trousers.

When the weather is not cold enough to freeze my n**s off my shorts work fine.

I love rain pants. It rained for two weeks solid in October on CF. My rain pants were old and nylon. They were a bit long which stopped my runners getting too wet. I also wore an old rain jacket and carried an umbrella. I was warm and not wet. I wore my rain pants over long pants.

I have Frogg Togg rain pants and bring them on every Camino (I don't walk in summer). Although I've not needed them often, I have definitely appreciated them on a few cold, windy, rainy days I have encountered. They seem breathable imo, and they weigh very little.
The Frogg Toggs I have do not breathe! We wore them one Sept day leaving Roncevalles. It was raining hard!! But we began to swelter in the Toggs, by 9am..was a warm day. We decided to take off the Toggs, tops and bottoms.

Now we still use the Frogg Togg jacket or a poncho but only in colder weather. I still have put the jacket/poncho on in September early in the morning in later September, but do need to take it off when temps heat up. For me it is all about temperature!
If it is colder and you are soaked, one can become overly cold and suffer from hypothermia…but that is unlikely to happen in normal September temperatures in Spain except perhaps from early morning on the mountains in heavy rain.

Too summarize, no pants, upper body rain protection, keep your pack or what is inside it dry.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How do rain trousers keep your socks dry?
Water proof pants usually go over the socks, and thus help keep the socks drier than if you’re wearing shorts. If you also have gaiters you can tuck the cuff of the pants into the gaiters. Nothing keeps all the water out in a heavy rain — except perhaps waterproof socks which several posts have recommended. I concur with that strategy as well.

My preference would be the Altus poncho/raincoat, which you can purchase from the Forum Store, Caminoteca in Pamplona, or reserve at Boutique du Pelerine in St Jean Pied de Port.
It's a great option because it completely covers your backpack, has long sleeves, and a full zip front which helps with ventilation.
The Decathlon poncho is a good budget friendly option as well. It has a half zip, not full, but does have full sleeves. I found it very easy to get into while on the go. At $35 Canadian it is a steal!

I have walked 21 caminos all over Europe.
So far I have only ever worn shorts or 3/4 pants. In height of summer, I use Sea to Summit poncho, super light. In Spring or Autumn Altus Light. I like the cool rain on my legs and they dry fast. Once I used a gortex jacket and pack cover. Hated that. Got sweaty under jacket and pack content got wet.
I do wear gortex trail shoes with thin merino socks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have never felt sweaty in my lightweight Frogg Toggs. Also, my pack contents never get wet as I line my pack with a very sturdy white compactor trash bag. They are so robust that I have only used two of them on eight Caminos (really only needed one) They are smaller than large black garbage bags and far sturdier and superior to typical white kitchen plastic trash bags. I never use dry bags and prefer small mesh laundry bags where I can see everything; reaching in to grab what I need without taking other items out in the process.
Cool rain on your legs feels great. Very cold pelting rain on your legs is like being stabbed with pins, and I don't even walk in winter.
That said, I have only experienced this a few times on my mid April spring Caminos, not in the fall.
P.S. I'm only mentioning all this to show "there is more than one way to skin a rabbit".

Oh my...maybe I will go with a good poncho as my marmot rain pants are a bit heavy and Iʻd rather carry some Hawaiian style snacks and let my legs breathe...or stop for the duration if heavy rain. Muchas gracias for all the replies

I used to be firmly in the 'legs dry quicker than rain pants' camp, however I now always take rainpants to save myself the curse of the wet socks ( this can lead to blister misery)
If you just want to keep other Pilgrims' spirits up, take a poncho and try and put it on, and over your pack unaided in high winds.
Real morale- booster🤣
Others will help . . . eventually 😉

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And the threads never lie!!🙃
Sometimes you just have to take decisions based on personal experience. Pick any subject on the Forum, and you will find opposing views - that's why we love it so much!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
And the threads never lie!!🙃
Sometimes you just have to take decisions based on personal experience. Pick any subject on the Forum, and you will find opposing views - that's why we love it so much!!
The Camino Frances was the first multi day hike I ever did. This forum was great "for the opposing views". From ponchos to rain jackets, sleeping bags to liners or light weight blankets, hats vs umbrellas, so much information It told me what I probably needed and the different options. I pretty well bought everything beforehand except umbrella, power bank and poncho. Then you have to make your own decision. The night before I left I trimmed down what I bought. Left rain pants, puffy jacket and sleeping bag at home. I took into account the time of year I was walking, May and June, so warm and didn't need those items which proved to be correct for me. Maybe I'll walk again sometime when it's cooler and I will already have those items. Even the choice between e-sim and physical SIM card, all the information is here for "YOU" to make your choice. It's great.

Definitely a light jacket but no rain pants. I've made the mistake on my first Camino to bring a rain pants. After 2hrs I took it off and never used it again. Second Camino I did not bring a rain pants and never missed it. On both Caminos did I encounter rain.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walk early or late in the season so if particularly cold then there are good to wear for that too, a light pair weigh nothing

Hi, what sandals did you use please?
I have used several brands/styles of hiking sandals. Unfortunately, my favorites keep getting discontinued! Last year I wore these men's sandals from Timberland.

I use these, a bit heavy as secondary but great in the warm and last 5km afternoons so your feet don't sweat all day in shoes

I only bought thongs to wear but found a pair of the above echo off-road sandals in a box at the pilgrims office in SJPP. They were hardly worn. They were wonderful. I walked over the Pyrenees in these as my New Balance runners were tight in the heat. They have great support.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a cheap pair of sandals in Decathlon in Valladolid after realising that my new trail runners that I had bought a week before leaving, on special, were not wide enough for my feet and I was unable to find any wide fitting trail shoes in Valladolid. Cost around €10-15

I had not tried walking in trail sandals before this but they are now my footwear of choice in warmish, dryish conditions.

I bought a cheap pair of sandals in Decathlon in Valladolid
I gave up buying big brand-name specialist walking boots some years ago when I discovered more or less by chance that the cheap leather safety boots sold for construction workers were just as comfortable and effective for me at a fraction of the price. So I then tried the lighter fabric versions of safety boots and they worked fine too. At Merida on the Via de la Plata a couple of years ago I had to replace the pair I was using and opted for the cheapest and lightest boots on offer in Decathlon at about 18 euro. Which took me comfortably all the way from Merida to Santiago, served for a few months of daily wear at home, then all the way from SJPDP to Leon before being replaced with a near-identical pair. I do sometimes wonder how much the placebo effect plays in our footwear choices. My own experience in recent years has been that if it is a decent fit it will probably do the job.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
An observation...it seems more men on this thread prefer shorts (or sometimes kilts) in rain and even in colder weather.
I notice more women speak up for bringing rain pants and use them if needed. A few posts I am uncertain if they are male or female.
I definitely prefer shorts for walking, pretty much all year round, I like my legs free, I hate walking in any type of long pants. I once called into the local shop on the way to a wedding, and people didn't recognise me wearing a dress!
On the rare time I'm seen wearing jeans, people who know me, exclaim in mock horror - OMG must be cold if you're wearing long pants.
I find if my top half is warm, then Im fine.
I also walk in sandals with socks.
This morning as I was walking my dog around the park (early, to avoid the heat) , some people who know my plans to walk again this year, asked me what I wore on Camino.
"Exactly what I'm wearing now, except with more sunscreen, and a pack"
I was wearing shorts, T-shirt, hat and sandals (without socks). They were wearing hiking shoes, long pants, and long sleeved tops. Each to his own.

Last edited:
I definitely prefer shorts, pretty much all year round, I like my legs free, I hate walking in any type of long pants. I once called into the local shop on the way to a wedding, and people didn't recognise me wearing a dress!
On the rare time I'm seen wearing jeans, people who know me, exclaim in mock horror - OMG must be cold if you're wearing long pants.
I am 100% the same as you. Yes I wear shorts all the time. Wearing jeans or trousers is a rare event for me. My legs don’t feel the cold. My son in law is a full times shorts wearer too. I couldn’t walk more than a few kms in trousers/long pants. I know some people on Camino sleep in trouses too in preparation which was a real eye opener for me.

From a male standpoint I have always sensed USA and Canadian men wear trousers/long pants more than Europeans. Could be wrong. Just a high level observation. No right or wrong of course.

Camino kit is t shirt/shirts/hat/ socks and trainer and flips flops for the evening!

Last edited:
I definitely prefer shorts for walking, pretty much all year round, I like my legs free, I hate walking in any type of long pants. I once called into the local shop on the way to a wedding, and people didn't recognise me wearing a dress!
I find if my top half is warm, then Im fine.
I also walk in sandals with socks.
This morning as I was walking my dog around the park (early, to avoid the heat) , some people who know my plans to walk again this year, asked me what I wore on Camino.
"Exactly what I'm wearing now, except with more sunscreen, and a pack"
I was wearing shorts, T-shirt, hat and sandals (without socks). They were wearing hiking shoes, long pants, and long sleeved tops. Each to his own.
But everyone in your avatar photo are wearing pants…. :0)

€83,-
I LOVE my rain pants. I would not like to be walking in shorts with water running down my legs into my shoes and socks. One thing I didn't see mentioned, is that rain pants are useful for more than rainy days--they can provide an extra layer of insulation on windy or cold days. And, if you ever want to wash all of your pants at one time, you can put on your rain pants and do the whole load of laundry.

Absolutely! Rain pants are versatile - not just for rainy days but also for added insulation on cold, windy ones. Plus, they're a smart laundry-day solution, letting you wash all your pants at once.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.