• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Random hiking poles comment

peregrina2000

Staff member
Just went through TSA once again with my hiking poles. But I was surprised to find that they confiscated my corkscrew. This is a corkscrew that was given to me in Spain and successfully made it through many European security checkpoints. So I guess that means that corkscrews are not a good thing to pack.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to the Camino, even though corkscrews and hiking poles are pretty basic Camino packing gear.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bummer.
TSA agents seems to have broad range in deciding for themselves what to allow and what not to allow.
Just depends on the agent and what side of the bed they got up on, it feels.
Sorry about your corkscrew

Hi, Annie,

The TSA guy told me that the corkscrew was not a matter of discretion. It has one of those short cutters on it to cut the wrapping around the top of the bottle. In Europe, that can go on board so long as it is less than 3 cm long, but in the United States, he told me that no blade of any length or any sort is allowed by TSA regulations. I brought that corkscrew home with me from Spain last year. It was given to me by a very nice man in a wine shop. I'm sorry to have lost it but it's no big deal.

The hiking poles, as always (for me at least), went through without a hitch.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Laurie @peregrina2000

So where are you off to with a corkscrew and walking poles if not a Camino?

My corkscrew was also confiscated this summer at the Bilbao airport but let my walking sticks through as always. There was a thread a month or so ago about poles being confiscated in Bilbao but I have successfully gone through twice.

The security guard was sooooo apologetic about the corkscrew, it wasn't a present or anything, in fact I got it at a Chino for probably 1,50.

When are you coming over???

Most read last week in this forum