• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ready or not! SJPP to Muxia, starting Sept. 15th

Camino2010

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés
SJPP to Santiago (2010)
SJPP to Fisterra (2011)
SJPP to Fisterra/Muxia (2012)
SJPP to Fisterra/Muxia (2015)
SJPP to Fisterra/Muxia (2016)
Hello!

I'm in the (somewhat disbelieving and hoping I'll have enough time to pack and remember everything I need, but also excited and happy) final countdown to my flight to Spain in a few days. I'm flying from Nova Scotia, Canada to Madrid (via Munich) where I'll catch a bus to Pamplona and then ride to SJPP courtesy of Express Bourricot.

I've connected with Alison, who's also starting on Sept. 15th, and a couple from Ottawa, Canada who plan to start a day or so after me, and I'm looking forward to meeting all kinds of other new friends along the way. This will be my first trip to Spain and I know it will be amazing. I've been reading and researching posts in this forum for several months now and I've learned an incredible amount. If the people I'm soon to meet are anywhere near as friendly, helpful, and generous with their knowledge, time, and suggestions as I've experienced here, I'll be in good hands once I get there.

I've often read that the Camino begins for each of us as soon as we feel the first stirring of curiosity and interest in walking the trail - and that the Camino walks us and not the other way around (or at least, it walks us as much as we walk it). It's certainly been that way for me so far. I feel like I've been on the path for many months already and I look forward to experiencing in person soon what I've been dreaming about since last November.

In appreciation,

Rachel
http://www.trustthemagic.com (my blog - just begun and a work in progress!)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Bien camino, I walked St Jean- Santiago- Finisterre- Muxia - Santiago finished 4 weeks ago you will have an amazing time. If i can give you small tips
1) Vaseline between your toes every morning it stops blisters
2) Take a torch it's very dark in the mornings
3)Take ear plugs even if you''re fond of wine
Good luck

lucky said:
Hi Bien camino, I walked St Jean- Santiago- Finisterre- Muxia - Santiago finished 4 weeks ago you will have an amazing time. If i can give you small tips
1) Vaseline between your toes every morning it stops blisters
2) Take a torch it's very dark in the mornings
3)Take ear plugs even if you''re fond of wine
Good luck

Thank you! I appreciate the tips. I have a Petzl headlamp that a fellow pilgrim recommended I buy (it has white light but also red light that she said would help me keep my night vision and not disturb too many people). It will be interesting to find out how dark it is in the morning when I set out, especially by the end of October, and to see what it's like to follow arrows before the sun comes up.

I was waffling about ear plugs but will include them, they're light.

I do have a hesitation about using Vaseline... doesn't it make washing socks a really yucky exercise? (trying to imagine how to get it to wash out of socks by hand, imagining a goopy mess)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Camino2010 said:
I do have a hesitation about using Vaseline...

Hi!
You can use NOK Anti-chafing which is made especially for that purpose. It's available at Mountain Equipment Coop, 1550, Granville st, Halifax.

I have been using it for the last ten years and strongly recommend it.

Good luck,
Jean-Marc

Canuck said:
Camino2010 said:
I do have a hesitation about using Vaseline...

Hi!
You can use NOK Anti-chafing which is made especially for that purpose. It's available at Mountain Equipment Coop, 1550, Granville st, Halifax.

I have been using it for the last ten years and strongly recommend it.

Good luck,
Jean-Marc

Well, as it just so happens, I need to go to MEC in the morning before I leave! I'll see if they have any, thanks!!

Hi Rachel

Before daylight saving changes, if you start walking by 7.30/8 am, you will get to see the sunrise. Most times you will have no problems finding your way. There will also be other pilgrims on the road. Anyone carrying a backpack, and walking before daybreak would likely be a fellow pilgrim :D

Somedays, it can be a slight challenge to find the yellow arrows in the dark, even with a torch, if you are in the smaller towns with few street lights.

I have an atrocious sense of direction, so I tried to establish, the evening before, a vague idea of the direction of the road I would be heading in the morning.

Enjoy. Buen camino,
Rebecca

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.