• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recently finished first camino Astorga to Santiago

I recently returned from walking my first Camino. I want to thank all of those who gave me advice on this forum especially Sil- this forum made the planning so much easier.
I walked with a group of ten from Astorga to Santiago. I could try and try to explain what a wonderful experience it was but words are just not enough to express the feelings I have about completing the Camino. I do want to share some of the things I learned.
- it is definitely satisfying to walk a portion of the camino. Unfortunately there are many of us that cannot leave home for a month to walk the Camino. If you are waiting for a time in your life when you might have an entire month - don't wait! You can experience the camino by walking part of it- I walked 11 days and I am still walking it- it is now a part of my life and I think of my camino everyday.
-walking with a group can work. Our group had met monthly for 6 months before we left. We planned what we would do in a variety of circumstances. As a result we were able to work through issues that we encountered including lost luggage and injury that resulted in two of our group not being able to complete the camino. We all walked at our own pace - we walked our own caminos - we just had a plan where we were going to stay each night.
- the best things I took on my camino were my buff and my cap.
- enjoy the food!
- special moments on the camino for me- Cruz de Ferro, snow while walking up the mountain to O'Cebreiro, sharing a coke with a friend on an especially hard day, orange juice guy somewhere around Cacabelos, picnic by a small stream between Samos and Mercadoiro and of course reaching Santiago.
- reservations are wonderful. Since we had 10 in our group we wanted to try to stay together each night so it was recommended by members of this forum to make reservations. Not only did we get to stay together, but we never felt rushed - we could walk at our own pace and never be worried where we might stay in the evening.
- albergues along the Way- here are a few we stayed in:
Rabanal: Albergue Gaucelmo: what a special place to stay. Arrived to volunteers willing to take care of blisters. A large yard in which the pilgrims sat and talked. In the late afternoon they offered a stretching class in the yard followed by tea, wine and snacks. We were especially lucky the night we were there because two pilgrims cooked spaghetti for all of us and the albergue supplied the wine- 17 bottles!
Las Herrerias- one of our favorites and Richard was so nice. A simple but tasty meal of lentil soup, salad, bread, dessert and of course wine.
Samos- it is not the conveniences that make albergues special- At the Monastery Albergue in Samos we had cold showers and the room was cold but for some reason many of us in our group said it was the best nights sleep we had.
Mercadoiro- Albergue Mercadoiro- I think the albergue is the only thing in Mercadoiro. We had a wonderful room where the beds were not close together with a huge window. The view is wonderful and they offer very good food.
All of the Albergues we stayed in offered pillows and some sort of sheet for the bed. I think most had blankets.
-the walk is tough. Train beforehand. We had long days but enjoyed every minute of it.
-use this forum as a guide for your Camino but walk your own Camino and do what you feel is best for you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi First Time Pilgrim! You are making me even more excited for my Mid May 2014 departure from SJPP. My question is what was the time period you walked? Thanks
Stefania

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi First Time Pilgrim! You are making me even more excited for my Mid May 2014 departure from SJPP. My question is what was the time period you walked? Thanks
Stefania
Stefania-
We left Astorga on May 24 - it was a beautiful time to walk and the temperatures were perfect. Since all of my group was from Florida we really loved being snowed on on our way up to o'cebreiro.

So does Gaucelmo take reservations then?
Alan- no it doesn't take reservations. There were a couple nights that we didn't make reservations. We really wanted to stay in Gaucelmo and in The monastery in Samos so we decided to take a chance on these nights. We walked mid May so the rooms did not fill up as quickly as I assume they would in the summer months.

Stefania
Hi Stefania, I am beginning my walk in mid May 2014 from SJPP. Maybe we'll run into each other. I"ll have a forum patch on my backpack . Just look for two old women..one tall and thin, the other short and well, robust (that would be me)!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Patty!
You too can look for an "older" woman on the taller side and thin. I will be getting a forum patch. I will be leaving SJPP on the 18th I think. Can't wait to meet some of my Forum friends.
Stefania

Most read last week in this forum

One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Hi everyone -- After walking the Frances from SJpdP last October, I'm planning to revisit the bit between Logrono and Burgos this July, following different stages. It's the section where I had...
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...
And another attempt looms, to buy a decent Poncho after trying and failing in the previous two likely towns. Anyone know where an Altos or similar might be bought in Leon, please? 😁

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.