• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

recommendation for carry-on size hiking backpack

terillp

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015)
Good morning!

I'm looking for some recommendations for a reasonably priced hiking backpack that is small enough to allow as a carry-0n on an airplane. I want to avoid checking any bags as I head over to Spain to start my Camino. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, any pack smaller than 55 x 40 x 20 cms, really. That's Ryanair's maximum size and they are amongst the least generous. My Osprey Aura size M was allowed on board, but when we measured, my husband's male version in a size L would have been too tall by a couple of centimetres. They don't always check but why take the chance? Some popular packs on the camino, such as the Osprey Talon and Tempest 33/30 series, will go on no problem. Air gap back systems might present a problem if the pack is too long or too full, as the gap takes up a lot of room and the frame is not very flexible. Where are you living? That could determine what makes and models you have access to and what they cost. The main thing is that they carry 7-8 kgs comfortably for you! Good luck in your search!

@terillp the rules around what size bag can be carried on vary amongst the airlines, and generally are a combination of maximum linear dimension (length + breadth + height) and maximum weight. Some airlines also set maximums for length, breadth and height rather than just requiring the total to be within the limit. The biggest pack that I have that fits the 115cm maximum linear dimension is an old Kathmandu Cane Toad at around 38 li, although on one trip the airline (Singapore Airlines) required me to remove some items to get it under their 7kg weight limit.

Once you know what airline(s) you are going to use, it is an easy matter to check their policy, but as you might have realised, somewhat more difficult to work out what packs might be acceptable.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Our Osprey Stratos (24 an 26L) fit just fine. And we really like them for walking a summer Camino (the hammock suspension was a godsend across the meseta).

I would guess anything between 30-35 liter size backpack. Last summer I carried on my 48 liter pack (American Airlines and Iberia), but it was far from filled to capacity. I cold have easily walked the Camino with a 30-35 liter size.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There are two issues here - what is the maximum size backpack that can be carried on as cabin baggage, and will that be big enough? The second is more difficult to tell without knowing the volume of the load that @terillp is going to carry. Without that information, suggesting a particular size pack will be suitable is really just a bit of a guess. A somewhat more informed guess is that for a summer camino, a pack size in litres about half of one's body weight in kg is going to be needed to carry a pack that is 10% of one's ideal walking body weight. There are still a lot of assumptions in this, but far fewer than saying 'I walked with a 33li pack, so everyone can.' It's just not particularly useful advice if the person is not of similar height/weight/build.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back