• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reflections after Camino Frances May 2017

Avromal

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2017, VF (Fidenza to Rome) 2019, CP 2019, VF (Besancon to Ivrea) 2020
Susie and I arrived home in New Zealand two days ago from our journey along the Camino Frances and already we are thinking about what we will do next year! We left SJPdP on 27 April, and Susie arrived in SdC on 25 May. For me, my Camino came to an end at Boente, a mere 46 km from SdC after developing a swollen ulcerated foot and could no longer put any weight on it. I became the support groupie for Susie for her remaining two days walking after I received medical attention in Arca. We have spent quite some time reflecting on our foot care, footwear and daily walking distances.

Walking distances and foot wear- we wanted the challenge of walking a sub-30 day Camino, and given we had a few experiences of completo albergues we decided to book ahead our accommodation. These decisions locked us in to a walking schedule of 30+ km walking days, which our legs could handle easily but we were significantly impacted by our footwear and, at times, a lack of opportunities to manage our foot care (weather related). In Sarria, we switched to Teva sandals and realised our Camino experience would have been quite different had we have had these from day one. There are threads galore that discuss the pro's and con's of boots/shoes versus sandals. Our experience has led us to understand that our boot or shoe selection has to fulfill the following criteria. They must have adequate cushioning especially if you are walking long daily distances. They must be reasonably light, and allow for significant foot swelling. Once you start getting blisters, you need to have good sandals to wear, and yes, wear these with socks despite the fashion crime!

Foot care - is challenging when you are walking in the rain. Stopping on the trail to remove shoes where there is nowhere sheltered to sit, or encountering cafe's where footwear removal is prohibido, means you miss vital opportunities to check out your feet and massage them. We learnt these lessons hard, and the difficulty here is that peregrinos are all different, and not all advice works. It is one of those things where you have to walk your Camino and figure it out for yourself. What is consistent, is that you have to love your feet and be open to changing your footwear where the opportunity exists.

The Camino is challenging, and despite the pain and suffering that can occur, it is deeply joyful and we experienced true freedom which is why we want to do another one. I will come back next year to walk the final 46km, and we are looking at the via Francigena from Milan to Rome. It will be great to test our hard earned wisdom learnt on the Frances, on our second Camino, which I guess is what a lot of people do. This freedom, and joy gained in walk, eat, sleep, and repeat, gets into your system.

Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Good to hear that you found your camino to be so satisfying that you'll be back another year!
peregrinos are all different, and not all advice works. It is one of those things where you have to walk your Camino and figure it out for yourself. What is consistent, is that you have to love your feet and be open to changing your footwear where the opportunity exists.
That is a very good summary of the situation!

we wanted the challenge of walking a sub-30 day Camino
I am a bit curious about this arbitrary challenge that you set for yourselves. What are your thoughts about it, after the fact?

Good to hear that you found your camino to be so satisfying that you'll be back another year!

I am a bit curious about this arbitrary challenge that you set for yourselves. What are your thoughts about it, after the fact?

I often wonder about that too. I guess we all walk the Camino for different reasons, but walking long days and pushing yourself is to me.....rather like watching a movie at 1.5 times speed.

You can still make out the dialogue......but you'll get to the end quicker ;)

I like 3 hour movies :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh yes ... Love your feet. I SO understand you all in your reflections that it gets into your blood. It has totally changed us! We're setting off again late Aug to walk Le Puy-SJPP .... can't wait!

Susie and I arrived home in New Zealand two days ago from our journey along the Camino Frances and already we are thinking about what we will do next year! We left SJPdP on 27 April, and Susie arrived in SdC on 25 May. For me, my Camino came to an end at Boente, a mere 46 km from SdC after developing a swollen ulcerated foot and could no longer put any weight on it. I became the support groupie for Susie for her remaining two days walking after I received medical attention in Arca. We have spent quite some time reflecting on our foot care, footwear and daily walking distances.

Walking distances and foot wear- we wanted the challenge of walking a sub-30 day Camino, and given we had a few experiences of completo albergues we decided to book ahead our accommodation. These decisions locked us in to a walking schedule of 30+ km walking days, which our legs could handle easily but we were significantly impacted by our footwear and, at times, a lack of opportunities to manage our foot care (weather related). In Sarria, we switched to Teva sandals and realised our Camino experience would have been quite different had we have had these from day one. There are threads galore that discuss the pro's and con's of boots/shoes versus sandals. Our experience has led us to understand that our boot or shoe selection has to fulfill the following criteria. They must have adequate cushioning especially if you are walking long daily distances. They must be reasonably light, and allow for significant foot swelling. Once you start getting blisters, you need to have good sandals to wear, and yes, wear these with socks despite the fashion crime!

Foot care - is challenging when you are walking in the rain. Stopping on the trail to remove shoes where there is nowhere sheltered to sit, or encountering cafe's where footwear removal is prohibido, means you miss vital opportunities to check out your feet and massage them. We learnt these lessons hard, and the difficulty here is that peregrinos are all different, and not all advice works. It is one of those things where you have to walk your Camino and figure it out for yourself. What is consistent, is that you have to love your feet and be open to changing your footwear where the opportunity exists.

The Camino is challenging, and despite the pain and suffering that can occur, it is deeply joyful and we experienced true freedom which is why we want to do another one. I will come back next year to walk the final 46km, and we are looking at the via Francigena from Milan to Rome. It will be great to test our hard earned wisdom learnt on the Frances, on our second Camino, which I guess is what a lot of people do. This freedom, and joy gained in walk, eat, sleep, and repeat, gets into your system.

Buen Camino!

I thank Kanga here for her solid recommendation on sandals, they saved me when blisters started early week 3 but with use of sandals (with socks) for 4 days straight resulted in quick healing and my ability to walk all the way to Muxia via Fisterra from SJPP.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I thank Kanga here for her solid recommendation on sandals, they saved me when blisters started early week 3 but with use of sandals (with socks) for 4 days straight resulted in quick healing and my ability to walk all the way to Muxia via Fisterra from SJPP.

Colette, what was your sandal choice for walking? Thanks in advance.

The challenge of doing a 29 day camino was for us, to push our physical and mental boundaries. And this camino certainly gave us what we wanted! We are much stronger in ourselves, as well as having gained confidence in our ability to walk longer distances. For us, other Camino's do have longer stages and we are no longer concerned about that. Would we do it that way again on the Frances? The short answer is no. If we were to repeat the Frances, the goals we would set would be different. The difference being we would choose to stop at a number of places and take the time to explore them. It is unlikely we would follow the normal stages set out in guides such as John Brierley's.

MickyD, we bought the Teva Terra FI 4 Sandals and found these to be particularly shock absorbent with a firm enough base to not feel the discomfort of rocky and uneven ground under foot.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I had started in trekking sandals (thick sole) but there was a lip on the edge of the toe and heel area that caused me terrible blisters because I wore them a whole day. So I bought for €40 in Sahagan (half way of CF) these Swiss 8000 sandals and they were perfect. everyone says TEVA are the best but I learned first hand that pricevdoes not guarantee comfort. See attached picture. IMG_6708.JPG

@Avromal welcome home

I also know the disappointment from stopping, because of injury, before completing.

And like you I am back later this year to complete my first intention. And hopefully do some trips with Glasgow at the centre afterwards.

And, like you, getting the right footwear is essential. After five years training (I'm a slow learner) I have yet to have any blisters. I put that down to shoes several sizes bigger than normal and shoes that "breathe". This latter feature means I have no worries crossing streams or suffering perspiration as the "steam" has the means to escape.

My big issue, however, is "hammer" toes. Here, if the toes can move up and down they create a lot of pain in the joints after about 15 km. So the trick is to find a style of construction that flexibly restrains them. And as manufacturers change their construction details in subsequent versions of the same model, what worked before doesn't work now. As the local Toyota TV add said: "Bugger".

Having walked from Southwark Cathedral to Canterbury I have toyed with the Francigena as a continuation. Suspect it would be over several seasons though.

Kia kaha to you both.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
@Avromal welcome home

I also know the disappointment from stopping, because of injury, before completing.

And like you I am back later this year to complete my first intention. And hopefully do some trips with Glasgow at the centre afterwards.

And, like you, getting the right footwear is essential. After five years training (I'm a slow learner) I have yet to have any blisters. I put that down to shoes several sizes bigger than normal and shoes that "breathe". This latter feature means I have no worries crossing streams or suffering perspiration as the "steam" has the means to escape.

My big issue, however, is "hammer" toes. Here, if the toes can move up and down they create a lot of pain in the joints after about 15 km. So the trick is to find a style of construction that flexibly restrains them. And as manufacturers change their construction details in subsequent versions of the same model, what worked before doesn't work now. As the local Toyota TV add said: "Bugger".

Having walked from Southwark Cathedral to Canterbury I have toyed with the Francigena as a continuation. Suspect it would be over several seasons though.

Kia kaha to you both.

Thanks for your kind words Alwyn. Susie and I wish you all the best for your return to 'the way' later this year!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am interested in your observations on sandals. I wore light boots on my first Camino (Salomon brand). They were very comfortable but I still got blisters. For my 2nd Camino I wore Keen trail shoes. Also comfortable but again blisters appeared. Both walks were in autumn so not the hottest of Spanish temperatures but hot enough for me (also from temperate Wellington). Of course I am contemplating my next Camino - maybe del Norte - and a walking sandal could be on the cards.
Did you find the open toe an issue? For stones/weather etc? Maybe not with the socks?

Everybody's Camino has to be different. Following a "guide" has its own limitations. We picked up a little Michelin guide at a railway station and used it as just that...a guide. Where it suited us we changed the rules to suit ourselves. We were very lucky we never got the blisters, others did, but then again a 20+ klm day was planned and rest periods accordingly. The norm was 20, as we were advised wisely, (by the wisest hosteleiro at San Saturnino Albergue in Ventosa, who walks the Camino yearly "The Camino is not a race" ) and was to to enjoyed not endured. What a Camino changing piece of advice that was!. We take away life long memories. Not sure if we want to spoil the first by doing another, but we have learned much from the first. To look after yourself, and immerse yourself in the Camino family as you encounter it, was our most important and enduring lesson. Buen Camino, in whatever you choose, but try not to make it a race. My only advice would be....Challenge yourself, but not at the expense of the experience.

Buen Camino!
I guess everybody is different, and I never followed Brieleys guide. I picked up a Mi

Buen Camino!

Try Injinji toe sock liners with thin wool outers. Just did the entire CF with no blisters. I wore an Asics running shoe a size and a half larger than usual most of the way and used my Hoka hiking boots on rainy days and rough trails. Carry lots of KT tape and put it on before you get the blister. It's amazing how well it works. It also works very well for holding down Compeed for days. Better to prevent a blister than to treat a blister.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am interested in your observations on sandals. I wore light boots on my first Camino (Salomon brand). They were very comfortable but I still got blisters. For my 2nd Camino I wore Keen trail shoes. Also comfortable but again blisters appeared. Both walks were in autumn so not the hottest of Spanish temperatures but hot enough for me (also from temperate Wellington). Of course I am contemplating my next Camino - maybe del Norte - and a walking sandal could be on the cards.
Did you find the open toe an issue? For stones/weather etc? Maybe not with the socks?

The odd small stone can and does need removing but we did not find that to be a problem. They are quickly flicked out and the comfort of them outweighs any minor stone issue. While we didn't wear our sandals in the rain (as the weather was hot by the time we bought them), there were plenty of people walking in socks and sandals during the entire duration of our camino, and in all weather conditions.

we wanted the challenge of walking a sub-30 day Camino

Hi - I'm the 'Susie' mentioned in Mal's post, and would like to add a little more to this thread...
I truly think that doing any camino is first and foremost an opportunity to visit yourself. Some of us go with a goal or challenge in mind re walking distances or days to finish, and that doesn't mean that there is a 'race' mentality in place or that the camino is being 'endured' and not enjoyed. People walk at their own pace covering whatever distances they choose to do, which may include following a guide book or schedule (or not, as anything goes, right?).
On planning for this camino, (a year in the making) the gear we would take was thoroughly tested and we trained. We are very fortunate to have some fantastic hills close by and boy, did we used them! We also walked long distances on and off road and found as we got fitter that we wanted to walk longer distances on our camino than the 'typical stages'.
We were not fast by any means - we took our time, starting around 6:30am and some days we didn't stop for the day until after 7pm. That's not for everyone, I get it. And I wouldn't be suggesting to fellow first timers that this be their plan. Our camino was our own, and we have gained so much from it. Knowledge about gear, footcare, the joy of simply walking and engaging with a country and culture at a slow enjoyable pace. And we now understand how we walk, what we are capable of and have gained a confidence that will allow us to consider walking less supported trails, and those that require 30+ km distances to be completed.
Setting a challenge need not be considered as breaking some unwritten camino rule...I mean, what about the guy we saw running the camino, is he enduring the camino and not enjoying it? I doubt it...I'm almost certain he's having the time of his life! As indeed, we did. Which is why we want to do more.

@Avromal welcome home

If looking at Scottish trip from the Glasgow area, be sure to have a look at the West Highland Way. Great walking and magnificent scenery. Just North of Glasgow into Fort William. Good hiking.

Kia kaha to you both.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Not sure what happened on the first attempt Alwyn but do have a look at the West Highland Way from just North of Glasgow to Fort William. Great walking and magnificent scenery

do have a look at the West Highland Way

@Bumpa thanks and that is my first planned trip. When staying at Balfron, my eldest son and I walked from the distillery into Milngavie, just on 10 km, on the last Sunday of 2014. It was a brilliant day, sunny, no wind and quite cool. The locals thought very cold: even the joggers and others walkers had thick jackets on. We were both dressed with a light merino top and I had a thin jacket (80 g / 3 oz).

An issue with the WHW is the sparcity of accomodation. So I have a two person tent which with an air matress comes in at around 800 g and the ground sheet doubles as a poncho.

The other trip (if time permits) is to Whithorn, where Ninian is associated with a house, said to be in the 5th century.

@Bumpa thanks and that is my first planned trip. When staying at Balfron, my eldest son and I walked from the distillery into Milngavie, just on 10 km, on the last Sunday of 2014. It was a brilliant day, sunny, no wind and quite cool. The locals thought very cold: even the joggers and others walkers had thick jackets on. We were both dressed with a light merino top and I had a thin jacket (80 g / 3 oz).

An issue with the WHW is the sparcity of accomodation. So I have a two person tent which with an air matress comes in at around 800 g and the ground sheet doubles as a poncho.

The other trip (if time permits) is to Whithorn, where Ninian is associated with a house, said to be in the 5th century.

When I stopped at the distillery, it was just closing time and they plied me with enough free samples that I almost didn't reach my destination for the day ;)

Depending on how far you wish to walk each day, there are easily accessible B and B's or hotels along the way at decent intervals. Have a great walk. Standing at the top of the "Devil's Staircase" looking back down the valley is a sight not to be forgotten. All the best

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I am wondering if all the foot/shoe issues experiencedby the op could be partly due to walking so many kilometers each day. Just a thought. My average is 13 miles per day and the few times I had to increase the mileage to 16-18, I could tell my feet would not like doing that every day. I had no issues and worerelatively inexpensive Asic

trailrunners.

Oh yes ... Love your feet. I SO understand you all in your reflections that it gets into your blood. It has totally changed us! We're setting off again late Aug to walk Le Puy-SJPP .... can't wait!
Me too! LePuy June 2018! (Lord and health willing.)

I followed forum advice when I did the CF from SJPP to Santiago last fall... walking shoes (mine were Merrills) a half size too big... and a pair of Keen sandals that I changed into every day, along with a fresh pair of socks, about half to 2/3 way through my day. Not one blister. It was such a simple and effective formula for me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi - I'm the 'Susie' mentioned in Mal's post, and would like to add a little more to this thread...
I truly think that doing any camino is first and foremost an opportunity to visit yourself. Some of us go with a goal or challenge in mind re walking distances or days to finish, and that doesn't mean that there is a 'race' mentality in place or that the camino is being 'endured' and not enjoyed. People walk at their own pace covering whatever distances they choose to do, which may include following a guide book or schedule (or not, as anything goes, right?).
On planning for this camino, (a year in the making) the gear we would take was thoroughly tested and we trained. We are very fortunate to have some fantastic hills close by and boy, did we used them! We also walked long distances on and off road and found as we got fitter that we wanted to walk longer distances on our camino than the 'typical stages'.
We were not fast by any means - we took our time, starting around 6:30am and some days we didn't stop for the day until after 7pm. That's not for everyone, I get it. And I wouldn't be suggesting to fellow first timers that this be their plan. Our camino was our own, and we have gained so much from it. Knowledge about gear, footcare, the joy of simply walking and engaging with a country and culture at a slow enjoyable pace. And we now understand how we walk, what we are capable of and have gained a confidence that will allow us to consider walking less supported trails, and those that require 30+ km distances to be completed.
Setting a challenge need not be considered as breaking some unwritten camino rule...I mean, what about the guy we saw running the camino, is he enduring the camino and not enjoying it? I doubt it...I'm almost certain he's having the time of his life! As indeed, we did. Which is why we want to do more.
Hi Malcolm and Susie, I was pleased to see Mal's earlier message about the results of your Camino but saddened to learn of his foot issue at Boente. Delighted to learn Susie completed the CF.

The two of you and I had a nice conversation over dinner in the San Andres Albergue in Zariquiegui around April 29. It was great to learn what had happened to the two of you from Mal's message as I dealt with my own issues walking toward CdS. In our conversation over dinner, we spoke about pretty much precisely what Susie mentions above -- particularly about flexibility for 30+ km days and walking one's own Camino. Shortly after Zariquiegui, I came down with the flu that I believe I caught in an albergue from someone coughing most of the night in a bunk above me. I bought some herbals, vitamins, and medications in a farmacia and with mega-doses spent an entire rest day in a casa rural getting back to the trail. The bug also required me to subsequently limit myself to about 4 half-days (around 20 km each) until I was able get back to normal. This set me about three days further behind the two of you. After Zariquiegui I stopped staying in albergues, and opted for private rooms in the array of available lodging. After that, my health improved, and I made it to SdC on May 30 (I had started from SJPP on April 26). The remainder of my Camino was a mix of largely 25 km to 36 km days. As we discussed, I felt I had the flexibility to walk whatever distance I wanted given my goals. Also as Susie mentions, it is useful to know one's capabilities.

I saw some of the sights but did not allow myself to be diverted to side options. I realized along the way that in order to change my goal, I should have planned a 60 day trip rather than a 50 day trip. After SdC on May 30, I slowed significantly and relaxed for the Finisterre-Muxia loop and was able to walk to both of them and then from Muxia to Dumbria (where I would have started repeating the reverse trail back to SdC). I was able to obtain the Fisterriana and Muxia certificates and spend two nights in both Finisterre and Muxia as well as one night in the half-way point between them, Lires. Really enjoyed the Atlantic coastal area. Returned to SdC on June 9 and arrived back in the U.S. on June 11.

On foot issues, I had no blisters, hot spots, or other injuries of any kind during the trip. You may recall that we have different opinions on footwear, and notwithstanding that, I was very pleased with how my Lowa Tibet boots performed on the trail. After our conversation, there were also some fellow pilgrims who chatted with me about this topic while walking on the trail and they attributed my lack of blisters, injuries, etc., on my training before the CF, and not exclusively on my boots and special socks. I think I mentioned that I had trained about 26 months on the boots and socks for almost 9000 miles just before the CF with not one blister or any other injury.

My girlfriend and I are planning a three week trek from about El Acebo to SdC in fall 2018.

Best wishes to you both in future adventures, CT.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
Be careful about discussing your accounts on this unencrypted site. I only wanted to know what banks charged the least expensive fees for ATM right now along the Frances. Not to open any new...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back