• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Refrigerated Medication on the Camino Portuguese

SJP

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014
Camino Portugues 2016
I have tablets that require refrigeration. In 2016 our group will utilise baggage services for our Portuguese Camino. Here in Australia, I have not been able to find a suitable small bag to hold my tablets in a cool/refrigerated way. Does anyone know what might be available & from where, please?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You will need some sort of insulated container to maintain your medication cold while you are walking during the day.

It would help immensely if you had a preprinted note in English and Spanish, Portuguese, etc.) that explained what medication you take and how it must be stored at a low temperature, such as in a refrigerator. The note should politely request that you be able to store this plastic bag, containing your medication in their refrigerator / freezer overnight, and that you will reclaim it by (SET A TIME) the next morning before you leave. Bring extra copies of the note in case you need them.

Include your local contact information, mobile #, e-mail, etc, just in case you forget and get all the way to the next town before you remember that you forgot to reclaim your meds. Do not panic! The person in the previous village can put the meds in n outer bag with ice and send it in a taxi to you. it has happened to others and for lots of different things like smart phones, passports, wallets, etc.

When you stop for the evening at an albergue or a hostal, ask to place your medication (in a ziplock bag with your name on it) in their refrigerator. Recharge your freezer pack / cells for the next day in their freezer.

I have encountered and walked with diabetics who tell me of a number of methods they use to keep their meds at the correct temperature. What I already stated, above, is Plan A.

Plan B is to approach a local cafe owner, who will also be open in the morning for breakfast with a similar request.

Plan C would be to do the same thing at a local tienda (front room market) that sells refrigerated and / or frozen foods. You can deposit your bag at closing time and pick it up first thing in the morning.

Plan D, and people tell me this actually works, is to approach either the local priest or the local police with the same request.

Anecdotally, I have never heard of such a request being denied. Although I presume you might have to work your way through the various plans to find a solution that works.

I hope this helps...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have tablets that require refrigeration. In 2016 our group will utilise baggage services for our Portuguese Camino. Here in Australia, I have not been able to find a suitable small bag to hold my tablets in a cool/refrigerated way. Does anyone know what might be available & from where, please?

There is no polite way to state this, but the container for your pills will need to be substantially larger than the little bottle. This is due to the need to pack the bottle in between reusable ice packs.

I would say that if you can find something smaller than a standard "six-pack" insulated cooler, consider yourself lucky. On the other hand, you can pack small stuff like socks and gloves into the container with the cold packs and pills. This will provide extra insulation.

Remember to place the cloth items on the outer edge of the compartment and the pill bottle nearest the ice packs. I recommend experimenting at home.

One of these six-pack coolers should easily fit in a standard rolling suitcase. You can easily send the suitcase ahead each day. This way your medication should be waiting for you when you arrive.

I hope this helps...

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back