• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fans on the Camino

JennyH94

Pilgrim in progress
Time of past OR future Camino
CF whole & part 12-19, VF 17, VDLP+ptSbres22
Hi all -

No, I’m not talking about One Direction or your particular favourite band (note: mine isn’t 1D!) but I’m talking about using a fan on camino … who uses one?

Last week I was in Madrid after a two-week volunteering role at the Pilgrim Office. The heat in Madrid was difficult to be out in. I tried to minimise walking in the heat (buses, the Metro etc) but I still needed to walk for brief times during my stay. When I walked I noticed quite a number of people using fans as they walked - mainly women but one man too - and it occurred to me that a fan would be useful on camino - not only to create a small breeze but also to deter flies.

Who uses one? To my mind it would be worth the small weight and bulk …

Cheers - Jenny

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It would be nice to have, especially if you encounter some flies. However, I'm inclined to use the guide/papers that I already have. I usually have several sheets of paper in a plastic envelope, folded over once - good size, not too heavy.
Good option @C clearly - an additional use to that which you already have in the pack.
Cheers - Jenny

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Jenny.

Your post brings back memories. I took a fan with me on the Camino Mozarabe and on the Madrid Way. Weighed almost nothing. I recall using it at rest stops and sometimes in the evenings but I don’t think I used it while walking, as I usually walk with two poles. 🥵🇪🇸😎

We did see a lot of fans used by everyone in Madrid during the Pride Festival there in early August. We did actually have an electric fan at some of the albergues where we have worked which were handy in July!

I have never walked in extreme heat, nor encountered flies on the spring, so have had no need for a fan...so far.🤞
I assume they are battery powered and wonder if one would last the whole camino if used on and off most days.
My question is would it take up too much room in a backpack being a rather awkward item when it was being stowed away.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have never walked in extreme heat, nor encountered flies on the spring, so have had no need for a fan...so far.🤞
I assume they are battery powered and wonder if one would last the whole camino if used on and off most days.
My question is would it take up too much room in a backpack being a rather awkward item when it was being stowed away.
Battery powered?! Sounds fancy! .:. Assumed OP meant the hand held very stylish ones that you flap back and forth. Big in South East Asia. Yet to conquer Europe!

Nowt wrong with 1D btw!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No, I wasn't thinking of that. More along the lines of a traditional Spanish flamenco fan, if I didn't have the route spreadsheet one!
Ohhh, I see! 😅 I was thinking of those little hand held small battery ones we sell in the US and people use them in the heat at summer fairs, etc...duh.🙄

There’s a Camino route fan?
Yes. That is the one I described in post #2 - several sheets of paper, on which a spreadsheet of my route is printed. One could, I suppose, fold it in a nice tight accordian style that would be fanned open, but I haven't gone that far.)
I usually have several sheets of paper in a plastic envelope, folded over once - good size, not too heavy.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes. That is the one I described in post #2 - several sheets of paper, on which a spreadsheet of my route is printed. One could, I suppose, fold it in a nice tight accordian style that would be fanned open, but I haven't gone that far.)
Ah sorry, yes that’s sounds great! Actually fans do sound like a great idea. Small, light, cheap and stylish. They seem quite effective too.. As a man have used only in short bursts when very hot and really good! It could open out to reveal the full Camino!

When I was a little girl the mortuaries always sponsored hand held fans for churches (before most had AC). They were in the rack with hymnal. I did see lots of stylish folding fans this year in Madrid, but don't think I need to add one to my pack. One more thing to keep track of...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ah sorry, yes that’s sounds great! Actually fans do sound like a great idea. Small, light, cheap and stylish. They seem quite effective too.. As a man have used only in short bursts when very hot and really good! It could open out to reveal the full Camino!
Hi @TravellingMan22 - that would be cool - excuse the pun!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
FOLDABLE FAN I have one like this and it literally weighs nothing... will be bringing it just in case.
The Flying Tiger stores in the larger towns in Spain (and I assume all over Europe) sell this type of little fan. Very nice and light as a feather and only a euro or two.

Edit: I should add that they had them in May in the Flying Tiger in Pontevedra. Not sure if it something every store stocks all the time.

Last edited:
People, mostly women, have been using "abanicos" (folding pleated fans) throughout the Iberian Peninsula for centuries. You can buy them in many shops throughout Spain.

There are inexpensive abanicos sold in tourist areas and souvenir shops. If you go into a ladies accessory shop or a higher end gift shop and ask for an "abanico" (ah-bahn-ee-ko) you will not be disappointed. In any large city, DO go to the ladies accessories department at the el Corte Ingles department store. They always have a range of styles and prices.

I usually find them in the Santiago el Corte Ingles store. Or, there is a place on the west side of Rua do Vilar, a couple of store-fronts from the corner near Plaza Praterias that sells high-end gifts and souvenirs. THAT is a great place for gift quality abanicos. As you walk away from the Cathedral, it is on the right side under the arcade.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
I purchased several fans to give as gifts after our first Santiago walk. Relatively inexpensive, light, and practical as well as traditional. I personally wouldn't take one on a walk because I use hiking poles. I do recommend a hiking umbrella, which can be attached to your pack straps so that you don't have to hold on to it.

I lived in Spain for a number of years and yes a fan is a good choice in hot weather would use one again when I am walking buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My immediate thought was of a small USB powered fan. Something like this cheap one.
Love this fan - first used on 2018 Camino. Used it in hot dorms for afternoon cool down in 2019 also - stays in my pack - about 20 grams from memory! Love it.

“I was feeling good on the incline up from Hunto but then the heat took its toll. I think I stopped every 100metres to catch my breath in the end. My beloved took off at great pace after one of my breathing stops. I had thought I was going to beat him in for once but off he went and once he was out of site I plodded on metre by metre, sun blaring down, sweat dripping off my face.

Finally I turned a corner and miraculously a tap sat idle in the sun. I immediately wet my entire head and cooled my limbs with a wet buff! It was only a couple of hundred metres around the corner that I located a tree with a magnificent spread of shade. Needless to say I threw down my pack and pulled out my $2 eBay fan and stuck it my phone. Oh what joy ! Friends walked by and marvelled at the ingenious invention that had found its way into my life. I can thank my friends daughter for that one! As I said the temperature was up to 34 degrees Celsius and combined with extreme humidity it was damned hot!”

My immediate thought was of a small USB powered fan. Something like this cheap one.
I took a walk and my thoughts became clearer. A USB gizmo like this will run fine directly connected to a USB charger or power bank but to run from a phone you will need an adapter called USB OTG (for On The Go). Essentially this turns your phone from slave mode to master mode so it expects to supply power instead of consuming it to recharge its battery. (Another thing the USB OTC change in mode does is to allow the phone to be used to access files on thumb drives instead of being a file system controlled by a PC. It also allows keyboards or mice to be used with the phone.)

[Edit: Posted almost simultaneously with the previous post by @gailsweb.]

I passed by this shop in Santiago and of course I had to buy the fan displayed in the front window that says P*TO CALOR 🤣
Dear Lord that’s an eclectic selection in the window.

P*to calor would not feature in many displays in its English translation; but a ‘George and Mildred’ bag? To anyone not 50+; British and familiar with abysmal TV sitcoms of the 1970’s I really couldn’t begin to describe how unexpected that is.

Anyway; to the above: anything with a battery; plastic or a USB port is really trying hard to solve a problem which the albanico entirely resolved centuries ago, but with elegance. Have some style folks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I took a walk and my thoughts became clearer. A USB gizmo like this will run fine directly connected to a USB charger or power bank but to run from a phone you will need an adapter called USB OTG (for On The Go). Essentially this turns your phone from slave mode to master mode so it expects to supply power instead of consuming it to recharge its battery. (Another thing the USB OTC change in mode does is to allow the phone to be used to access files on thumb drives instead of being a file system controlled by a PC. It also allows keyboards or mice to be used with the phone.)

[Edit: Posted almost simultaneously with the previous post by @gailsweb.]
Interesting Rick - however just straight into phone - no otc for me - I only use it sporadically for short bursts on iPhone- doesn’t seem to drain battery noticeably.

Hi all -

No, I’m not talking about One Direction or your particular favourite band (note: mine isn’t 1D!) but I’m talking about using a fan on camino … who uses one?

Last week I was in Madrid after a two-week volunteering role at the Pilgrim Office. The heat in Madrid was difficult to be out in. I tried to minimise walking in the heat (buses, the Metro etc) but I still needed to walk for brief times during my stay. When I walked I noticed quite a number of people using fans as they walked - mainly women but one man too - and it occurred to me that a fan would be useful on camino - not only to create a small breeze but also to deter flies.

Cheers - Jenny

I’ve always got a fan in me! It works so well. I used mine all the time on the way!!!

Hi all -

Cheers - Jenny
I have a TINY paper fan that came out of a Christmas cracker many years ago. It fits perfectly in my bum-bag and has proved so helpful on many occasions, on camino, but also sitting beside a very hot learner pool , whilst my grandson had swim lessons.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all -

… occurred to me that a fan would be useful on camino - not only to create a small breeze but also to deter flies.

Fly deterrent. Good idea—although I didn’t find that a problem in my (approx.) five hundred kilometers. I did not carry it on the Camino, but my late wife left me a battery-powered fan, rechargeable by USB, that folds into an egg shape and is approximately double the length of a chicken egg. (And about double that weight.) Can’t tell you the brand name, but I suspect it’s not hard to find in a web search. Here’s one that looks even smaller: https://tinyurl.com/hiker-fan

See also https://tinyurl.com/bwkb3psu and https://tinyurl.com/32sz98um (among the many I found in a web search¹)

¹much better term than the one that gives free advertising to NSA’s biggest competitor :cool:

Anyway; to the above: anything with a battery; plastic or a USB port is really trying hard to solve a problem which the albanico entirely resolved centuries ago, but with elegance. Have some style folks!
An albanico, though exquisitely elegant, cannot cool me while hanging around my neck or clipped to my backpack's sternum strap. It cannot stand on the bedside table at night when I treat myself to an occasional uber hot private room (and they're all too hot for me it seems ;) ). Something like the attached can. It's cheap as chips from the Ali Ex, weighs 145 grams, has three speeds, and is definitely in my pack next time around.

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 14
This thread has nearly "blown" me away (a pun, yet not a pun). I have never thought of using fans on the Camino at all, but since I use use only one pole the majority of the time (I like the freedom of having one hand free), I may become a "fan" of bringing a fan after all (pun intended). I do always experience several uncomfortable very warm days in late May as I enter my final week of walking, no matter the route. I probably will tuck a simple folding Asian type fan next time as I've never used it in years...a great thread with such a simple and inexpensive solution.

I carried a cheap Chinese bamboo + (fake) silk folding fan. 20 cm long, lightweight and very useful. Still have it and like it.
I have quite a collection of traditional folding fans. Bamboo/metal tai chi ones that open with a big bang, Japanese samurai fan made from Kyoto bamboo and special paper that's supposedly could stop an arrow (never tested), Spanish flamenco fans, Chinese with old paintings and hieroglyphs, etc.... Some of those were designed not only to make breeze for your comfort but also as a self defence weapon, mostly used as a stick when folded but there's a branch of wushu that uses fans very creatively by suddenly opening them to distract attention and conceal your movement. Bought filigree bamboo fans for both my parents too, green for mum, her favourite colour, black for dad, more masculine, told him that if Karl Lagerfeld can use one, he can use one too. He used it in hot weather on train commute to work (worked till 72) and says people were jealous.
BTW now looking for 13-14 cm/5,5 inch or smaller fans, if you happen to see one, please send me a link in PM.🙏

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.