• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Remembering my first camino

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
After our "Big Camino" (La Voie de la Nive, Baztan, Frances, Salvador, Primitivo, Finisterre and back to Santiago) I crocheted a big blanket to tell its story.
After the Portuguese I did the same.
After the Via de la Plata I made a colourful wildflowers-inspired one.
Then I decided our first camino needed a memory blanket too.
That trip turned out to be the last one we would do with our whole family (mum, dad, eight kids, Grandpa)....so it had to be big! I went through the photo book we had made and picked colours from the photos.....and even though I am not fond of autumn colours I am in love with the result (we walked late September).
IMG_2047.JPG IMG_2048.JPG IMG_2050.JPG IMG_2049.JPG

And with the original blanket....
IMG_2051.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2051.JPG
    IMG_2051.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That is such a beautiful story (and a beautiful blanket too!) Moving.

I love that, and am enamored with most stuff with the word "family" in it, although as with most people, there is also that nostalgic sad part that accompanies anything "family" oriented.

Your book looks wonderful, and your hand-crafted blanket is lovely!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh my, I am in AWE! To think you conceived and executed such a project. I still have my hand-sewn, partially hand-quilted crib blanket from 40 years ago to finish..... It's beautiful! Congratulations.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Rachael
Great effort!
Like many kiwis I had one on my bed as a child. I still love them.
And now you've got me wondering about a crocheted blanket as a replacement for my fleece.
Maybe like a poncho with a hole in the middle for my head?
Maybe even a hoody! How cool would that be!
And holes for arms? No, maybe want to keep arms covered to keep warm.
Then again I always need to use my pacer poles, which way would be best I wonder.
My imagination tells me I'd need to pair it with a Mexican sombrero!
Maybe I'm over-thinking this.
Kind regards and thank you heaps for the pictures and the memories they invoked.
Gerard

Beautiful and beautifully done! The colors are perfect too.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When are you going to paint? Make something in clay?...
Thirty years ago a teacher told me I had no artistic talent.
Some of my kids wanted to draw and so I gave them materials and bought books and left them to it. A couple of them are particularly good. My youngest two started saying they couldn't do it and I urged them to practice. I told them they can do anything if they try. And I decided to try too.
Together we are doing "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain"..... it turns out I may have no talent, but anyone can learn.
We are also playing with watercolours - and some of the kids are loving acrylics or pastels or charcoal.
Our camino journals have some sketches and wAtercolours in them - but I hope to feel confident when I next travel!

Thirty years ago a teacher told me I had no artistic talent.
Some of my kids wanted to draw and so I gave them materials and bought books and left them to it. A couple of them are particularly good. My youngest two started saying they couldn't do it and I urged them to practice. I told them they can do anything if they try. And I decided to try too.
Together we are doing "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain"..... it turns out I may have no talent, but anyone can learn.
We are also playing with watercolours - and some of the kids are loving acrylics or pastels or charcoal.
Our camino journals have some sketches and wAtercolours in them - but I hope to feel confident when I next travel!
Teachers! Shh! I was one. And I loved that book. Your talent for colour should inform your pastels and brushes... enjoy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.